Angular momentum of time dependent particle motion

In summary, the angular momentum of a particle with mass m moving in a circle of radius R at a constant speed v about point P, with coordinates (-R, 0), as a function of time is given by the formula L = m v R [cos((vt/R) + 1].
Schulze

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves in a circle of
radius R at a constant speed v. Assume: The
motion begins from the point Q, which has
coordinates (R, 0).
Determine the angular momentum of the
particle about point P, which has coordinates
(−R, 0) as a function of time.

The answer choices can be found at: http://imgur.com/GxVLhGb

Homework Equations

v = Rω
L = R x p = Rpsin(θr,p) = Rmv(sinθr,p)
θf = θi + (ωit)
θf = θi + (vt/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

L1 at position Q = R x p = Rpsin(θr,p) = Rmv(sinθr,p)

L2 at position P = R x p
L2 at position P = Rpsin(-θr,p)
L2 at position P = Rmv(-sinθr,p)
L2 at position P = Rmv(sin((vt/R)+∏)))

However all answers have Rmv(____ + 1) factor. Which I do not have. Therefore I have reason to believe that my answer is incorrect.

My guess is that the answer is Rmv(sin((vt/R)+∏))+1)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Make a drawing
2. Realize that L = r X p is NOT Rmv(sinθr,p) but that ##\vec L= \vec r(t) \times \vec p(t)##: all the answers are vectors!
3. Make a distinction between angular momentum about the origin and angular momentum about point (-R, 0)

I did all those things but I thought that this site didn't want me to post a poorly drawn sketch. Furthermore, I am not very good at using Latex to make my equations look nice and bold and whatnot.

Nor am I very efficient at using this yet so bare with me.

Also, L2 will be in the opposite direction of L1; and I believe that the alternate statement for the cross product of a X b = absin(θ) accounts for this. Where a, and b are the magnitudes of the vectors of a and b.

One thing at the time. Let's try a few simple tings:
What is the magnitude of Labout the origin at t=0 ?
What is the magnitude of Labout the origin at t=v/(##\pi##R) ?

What is the magnitude of Labout P at t=0 ?
What is the magnitude of Labout P at t=v/(##\pi##R) ?

Do you have an expression for ##\vec r(t)## ?

Ah, I get the impression you have difficulty with
* distinguishing Labout (0,0)(t) from Labout (-R,0)(t)
* interpreting r x p

What do you mean with L1 and L2 ?

Hello Schulze

Your guess is incorrect .

Look at the figure attached .O is the origin.The coordinates of Q are ##R \hat{i}## whereas the coordinates of P are ##-R \hat{i}## .Let the particle be at M at any time 't' making an angle θ with the horizontal.

All you have to do is calculate ## m(\vec{PM} \times \vec{v})## .

1. First express θ in terms of v,R,t .
2. Write down the coordinates of M .
3. You already have coordinates of P given . So calculate ## \vec{PM}##
4. Find the component of velocity at point M in 'x' and 'y' direction . From that express velocity vectorially .

Now perform the cross product . Be careful with trigonometric identities .You will get the elusive 1 .

Attachments

• circle.GIF
    circle.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 957
Last edited:
BvU said:
Ah, I get the impression you have difficulty with
* distinguishing Labout (0,0)(t) from Labout (-R,0)(t)
* interpreting r x p

What do you mean with L1 and L2 ?

That impression would be correct.

A friend of mine told me the right answer but wouldn't tell me how to arrive at this result. So that that is my next aim.

Answer: L = (mvR) cos((vt/R) + 1)

I did it folks!

Well, in that case we won't be needing the drawing I had already prepared when Tanya beat me to it :frown:.

For the sake of others listening in: what did you do and how did you do it ?

[itex]\vec{L}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] m[itex]\vec{v}[/itex]

The angular displacement around the circle:
θ = ωt = [itex]\frac{vt}{R}[/itex]

The vector from the center of the circle to the mass is then:
Rcos(θ)i + Rsin(θ)j (in the i and j directions)

The vector from the point P to the point of the mass is:
[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = R[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + Rcos(θ)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + Rsin(θ)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = R[[1+cos([itex]\frac{vt}{R}[/itex])][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + sin([itex]\frac{vt}{R}[/itex])[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

The velocity vector
[itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = -vsin([itex]\frac{vt}{R}[/itex])[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + vcos([itex]\frac{vt}{R}[/itex])[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

So,
[itex]\vec{L}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] m[itex]\vec{v}[/itex]
becomes
[itex]\vec{L}[/itex] = m v R {[1 + cos(ω t)][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + sin(ω t)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]}
× [− sin(ω t)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + cos(ω t)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]]

= m v R {[1 + cos(ω t)] [cos(ω t)] −[sin(ωt)] [− sin(ω t)] }[itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

= m v R [cos([itex]\frac{vt}{R}[/itex])] + 1][itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

Related to Angular momentum of time dependent particle motion

1. What is angular momentum in the context of time dependent particle motion?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a particle or system of particles around a fixed point. In the context of time dependent particle motion, it refers to the amount of rotational momentum a particle has as it moves through time.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for a time dependent particle?

The formula for calculating angular momentum of a time dependent particle is L = mvr, where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and r is the distance from the particle to the fixed point around which it is rotating.

3. Can the angular momentum of a time dependent particle change?

Yes, the angular momentum of a time dependent particle can change if there is a change in its mass, velocity, or distance from the fixed point. It can also change if there is a net torque acting on the particle, causing it to accelerate or decelerate in its rotational motion.

4. How does time dependence affect the angular momentum of a particle?

Time dependence can cause the angular momentum of a particle to change over time. This can happen if the particle's velocity, mass, or distance from the fixed point changes as time passes. It can also occur due to external influences such as forces or torques acting on the particle.

5. What are the applications of understanding angular momentum in time dependent particle motion?

Understanding angular momentum in time dependent particle motion has numerous applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects in rotational systems, such as planets orbiting around a star. It is also essential in the design and operation of machines that involve rotational motion, such as turbines and gyroscopes.