Angular displacement of a curve ball

In summary, The pitcher threw a curveball with an average angular velocity of 330 rev/min, assuming it was constant. The ball reached the catcher in 0.60 seconds. To find the angular displacement, the formula θ=ωt was used, but the answer of 3.3 radians did not match any options. After converting the units, it was found that the angular displacement was 20.7 radians. The question also mentions the Magnus effect, which could have an impact on the throw, but with the given information, the angular displacement is the amount that the ball rotates on an axis.
jmgXD6
1. A pitcher throws a curveball that reaches the catcher in .60s. The ball is spinning at an average angular velocity of 330 rev/min, (assumed constant) on the path to the catcher's mitt. Find angular displacement. 2. θ=ωt where t is time, ω is angular velocity, and θ is angular displacement.

3. I converted 330 rpm into revs/sec and got 5.5. I then multiplied 5.5 by .6 and got 3.3 plugged in the equation and had 3.3 radian as the answer but it's not an answer choice, the closest to it is 5.8 rad. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check out your units.

You have a ball spinning rev/min. You converted it to rev/sec. Then you converted it to rev by multiplying by time. However you want your answer to be in radians. How many radians are in a rev? (It'd be 360 for degrees)

The question doesn't seem to be asking how much the ball deviates from a straight path, but if that is what you want you'd need some more information and the Magnus Effect. However I don't think that is what the question is asking based off of what you've given.

2π in a circle

That's right, so using that to convert to radians should give you the answer you're looking for.

Alright so I multiply 5.5 by 2*pi and I got 34.557 then I multiply that by 0.6 and got 20.7, which is close to 21 rad. However it asked for angular displacement of the baseball as it's travels from the pitcher to the catcher. So how would I use Magnus effect to find the angular displacement?

Angular displacement would be the amount that it rotates through on an axis, so that 20.7 rad is what you would be looking for

Alright, thank you very much for your help.

The one that you should be looking for is the 20.7 rad. The amount that it rotates is the angular displacement. Anyway I was wondering on the concept of throwing a curve ball. http://www.fastarm.com/2012/03/26/how-to-throw-a-curveball-using-the-fastarm/ if you are also interested on throwing a curve ball. Does the throw have different effect if a left handed throw it?

does anyone know where i can get a derivation of the magnus effect, i haven't been able to find it anywhere

Related to Angular displacement of a curve ball

What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement refers to the change in angle or rotation of an object with respect to a reference point. In the context of a curve ball, it refers to the amount of rotation the ball experiences as it travels through the air.

How does angular displacement affect the trajectory of a curve ball?

The angular displacement of a curve ball determines the direction and amount of curve in its trajectory. The greater the angular displacement, the more the ball will curve.

What factors influence the angular displacement of a curve ball?

The angular displacement of a curve ball is influenced by the spin applied to the ball by the pitcher, the velocity of the ball, and the air resistance it encounters. The stitching and surface of the ball can also affect its angular displacement.

Why is understanding angular displacement important in baseball?

Understanding angular displacement is important in baseball because it allows pitchers to control the trajectory and movement of their pitches. It also helps batters anticipate the path of the ball and make better contact with it.

How is angular displacement measured and calculated?

Angular displacement can be measured using a protractor or by using high-speed cameras to track the rotation of the ball. It is calculated using the formula θ = s/r, where θ is the angular displacement, s is the arc length traveled by the ball, and r is the radius of the ball's rotation.