Angular Acceleration Problem - Compact Disc

In summary, angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of an object. In the context of compact discs, it refers to the rate at which the disc is spinning and can be affected by factors such as speed, mass, and external forces. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time and is important for understanding how the disc reads and plays music.
gcombina
During the time a compact disc (CD) accelerates from rest to a constant rotational speed of 477 rev/min, it rotates through an angular displacement of 0.250 rev. What is the angular acceleration of the CD?

I converted 477 rev/min into 49.95 rad
I converted 0.250 rev to radians which is 1.57 rad

Then I am using
ω^2 = ωø^2 + 2 α Θ
49.95/2(1.57 radians) = α
15.90 = αBUT i am not getting the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the answer is 866 rad/s^2

gcombina said:
ω^2 = ωø^2 + 2 α Θ
49.95/2(1.57 radians) = α
ω^2 = ωø^2 + 2 α Θ

Related to Angular Acceleration Problem - Compact Disc

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of an object. It measures how quickly an object is rotating or changing its rotational speed.

2. How is angular acceleration related to compact discs?

In the context of compact discs, angular acceleration refers to the rate at which the disc is spinning or changing its rotational speed. This is important in understanding how the disc reads and plays music.

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a compact disc?

There are several factors that can affect the angular acceleration of a compact disc, including the speed at which it is rotating, the mass of the disc, and any external forces acting on the disc (such as friction).

4. How is angular acceleration calculated for a compact disc?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. In the case of a compact disc, this can be measured by tracking the rotational speed of the disc over a certain period of time.

5. Why is understanding angular acceleration important for compact discs?

Understanding angular acceleration is important for compact discs because it helps us understand how the disc reads and plays music. By knowing the rate at which the disc is spinning, we can accurately read and interpret the data stored on the disc, ensuring high-quality sound and playback.