How Does Angular Diameter Distance Apply to the Last Scattering Surface?

In summary, the angular diameter distance is a measure of an object's physical transverse size in relation to its angular size. In the context of a flat cosmology with no cosmological constant, the angular diameter distance to the last scattering surface is calculated as the physical distance of the surface from us at the time of emission, divided by the scale factor of the Universe at that time. This is different from the proper motion distance, which is calculated using the null geodesic in the FRW metric. The textbook provides a more detailed explanation and derivation for this calculation.
WeiShan Ng
The definition of the angular diameter distance is the ratio of an object's physical transverse size to its angular size. However when I was reading my textbook, *Astrophysics in a Nutshell by Dan Maoz pp.220-221*, I am having some trouble trying to understand the notion of **angular diameter distance to the last scattering surface**. The text calculates the angular diameter distance to the last scattering surface ##D_A##:

> Consider flat cosmology (k=0) with no cosmological constant. We wish to calculate the angular size on the sky, as it appears today of a region of physical size
$$D_s=\frac{2ct_{rec}}{\sqrt{3}}=140 kpc$$ from which light was emitted at time ##t_{rec}##. Between recombination and the present time, the Universal expansion is matter-dominated, with ## R \propto t^{2/3} ## for this model
$$\frac{R}{R_0}=\left( \frac{t}{t_0} \right)^{2/3} = \frac{1}{1+z}$$
and hence we can write
$$D_s=\frac{2ct_0}{\sqrt{3}}(1+z_{rec})^{-3/2}$$
The angle subtended by the region equals its size, divided by its distance to us at the
**time of emission** (since that is when the angle between rays emanating from two
sides of the region was set).

I'm not sure what does the last line actually mean..Can someone please elaborate more on this? I just simply take the #D_s# as the "physical transverse size".

> As we are concerned with observed angles, the type
of distance we are interested in is the distance which, when squared and multiplied
by 4π, will give the area of the sphere centered on us and passing through the
said region. If the comoving radial coordinate of the surface of last scattering is r, the required distance is **currently** just ##r\times R_0## and is called the proper motion distance. The proper motion distance can be solved using null geodesic in the FRW metric
$$\int_{t_{rec}}^{t_0} \frac{c dt}{R(t)} = \int_{0}^{r}\frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-kr^2}}$$
Setting k = 0, and substituting
$$R(t)=R_0 \left( \frac{t}{t_0} \right)^{2/3}$$ and integrate
$$rR_0=3ct_0[1-(1+z_{rec})^{-1/2}]$$

So I take this as the physical distance of the region from us. The next part is what confuse me:
> However, at the time of emission, the scale factor of the Universe was 1 + z times smaller. The so-called **angular diameter distance** to the last scattering surface is therefore
$$D_A=\frac{rR_0}{1+z}=3ct_0[(1+z_{rec})^{-1}-(1+z_{rec})^{-3/2}]$$

How does a physical distance ##rR_0## comes into play in the angular diameter distance, because from its definition it is just $$D_A=\frac{\text{physical transverse size}}{\text{angular size}}$$??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
WeiShan Ng said:
I'm not sure what does the last line actually mean..Can someone please elaborate more on this? I just simply take the #D_s# as the "physical transverse size".

Yes. It is easier if you say 2 stars instead of "region". That was the distance between the two stars when they each radiated a photon. The stars may have moved while the photons were on their way here.

The textbook wording is more correct and it applies to any source.

I found the derivation in "Gravitation and Cosmology" by Weinberg at pp.421-424

1. What is Angular Diameter Distance?

Angular Diameter Distance is a measure of the physical size of an object in the sky, such as a star or galaxy, as seen from Earth. It is often used in astronomy to compare the apparent size of objects at different distances.

2. How is Angular Diameter Distance calculated?

Angular Diameter Distance is calculated by dividing the physical diameter of an object by its angular size, or the angle that it subtends at the observer's location. This can be calculated using the formula: DA = D / θ, where DA is the angular diameter distance, D is the physical diameter, and θ is the angular size in radians.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Angular Diameter Distance?

Angular Diameter Distance is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or kilometers, since it represents the physical size of an object. However, it can also be expressed in terms of the observer's distance from the object, such as in units of parsecs or light years.

4. How does Angular Diameter Distance differ from other distance measures?

Angular Diameter Distance differs from other distance measures, such as luminosity distance or comoving distance, because it takes into account the angular size of an object rather than just its physical size or luminosity. This allows for more accurate comparisons of objects at different distances.

5. How is Angular Diameter Distance useful in astronomy?

Angular Diameter Distance is useful in astronomy because it allows us to determine the physical size of objects in the sky, which can provide important information about their properties and evolution. It also helps us to understand the scale and structure of the universe, and how objects are distributed throughout it.