Angular diameter distance to surface of last scattering

In summary, the problem involves calculating the angular diameter distance to the last scattering surface in three different cosmological models: open universe with ΩΛ = 0.65 and Ωm = 0.30, closed universe with ΩΛ = 0.75 and Ωm = 0.30, and flat universe with ΩΛ = 0.75 and Ωm = 0.25. The CMB power spectrum is then compared in each of these models to the benchmark model with ΩΛ = 0.7 and Ωm = 0.3. It is recommended to work in redshift space and use Hogg's paper "Distance Measures in Cosmology
thecourtholio

Homework Statement

1) Calculate the angular diameter distance to the last scattering surface in the following cosmological models:

i) Open universe, ΩΛ= 0.65, Ωm = 0.30
ii) Closed universe, ΩΛ = 0.75, Ωm = 0.30
ii) Flat universe, ΩΛ = 0.75, Ωm = 0.25

Describe how the CMB power spectrum changes in each of these models. Compare your results to the Benchmark model, ΩΛ = 0.7, Ωm = 0.3

Homework Equations

dA=dhor(t0)/zls
dhor(t0)= c ∫ dt\a(t)
H2/H02 = Ωr/a4m/a3+(1-ΩrmΛ)/a2Λ
H0t=∫1als da[Ωr/a^2+Ωm/a + ΩΛa2+(1-ΩrmΛ)]-1/2
zls=1100
als= 1/(1+zls)

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, is is it safe to assume that Hot is the horizon distance (or proper distance)? Because that's what I'm going off of so if that's not correct then everything I've done is wrong anyway.
So far I have tried doing the integration of the 4th equation listed above for the open universe but I keep getting a negative number. Does the negative just mean that its in the past time? And if my assumption that Ht is not the horizon distance, then how do I relate the answer from the integral to the equation for the horizon distance (the 2nd eq listed above)? I think that the integration I did (eq 4) gives me t(a) rather than a(t) but then do I need to get a(t) in order to do the integral for dhor?

Sorry if my questions are confusing. I am lost in a sea of equations and integrations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly recommend Hogg's paper "Distance Measures in Cosmology" , which goes through these things in detail. You are much better off working in redshift space, which makes the integrals much easier. Then, you can write the comoving distance to an object at redshift z (see Hogg's equations 14, and 15) as:

[tex] DC = \frac{c}{H_0}\int_0^z \frac{dz'}{\sqrt{\Omega_M(1+z')^3 + \Omega_k(1+z')^2 + \Omega_\Lambda}}[/tex]

You can then convert to angular diameter distance using Hogg's equations 16 and 18. You may still have to do the integral numerically, but this is much simpler than the approach you are taking.

Related to Angular diameter distance to surface of last scattering

1. What is the Angular Diameter Distance to the Surface of Last Scattering?

The Angular Diameter Distance to the Surface of Last Scattering is a measure of the distance between an observer and the surface of last scattering, which is the point in space where photons (light particles) were released after the Big Bang. It is usually denoted by the symbol "dA" and is an important concept in cosmology to understand the expansion of the universe.

2. How is the Angular Diameter Distance to the Surface of Last Scattering calculated?

The Angular Diameter Distance is calculated using a combination of the Hubble constant, the speed of light, and various cosmological parameters such as the density of matter and dark energy in the universe. It can also be calculated using observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) and other astronomical data.

3. What is the significance of the Angular Diameter Distance to the Surface of Last Scattering?

The Angular Diameter Distance to the Surface of Last Scattering is significant because it allows us to measure the size of the observable universe and understand the expansion rate of the universe. It also provides evidence for the theory of the Big Bang and helps us understand the early stages of the universe.

4. How does the Angular Diameter Distance to the Surface of Last Scattering relate to redshift?

The Angular Diameter Distance and redshift are closely related in the sense that as the universe expands, the light from distant objects is stretched and appears redder (lower frequency) than it actually is. This is known as redshift, and it can be used to calculate the distance to these objects using the Angular Diameter Distance formula.

5. Can the Angular Diameter Distance to the Surface of Last Scattering be measured directly?

No, the Angular Diameter Distance cannot be measured directly, as it involves calculating the distance to objects that are billions of light-years away. Instead, it is estimated using various cosmological models and observations of the CMB and other astronomical data. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may one day allow for more direct measurements of this distance.