Analytic Geometry: Confused on How to Solve Problem

In summary, the user is asking for help in finding the distance between lines and incorporating a given force into the problem. They have not provided any progress or thoughts on how to begin and have stated that they do not know where to start. It is suggested that they speak with their teacher for guidance and are given a possible starting point for solving the problem.
chiami
I am actually very confused on how to solve the problem. Do I just find the distance between the lines? How do I incorporate the 500 Newtons into the problem? Really confused.

View attachment 6001

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 1.23.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 1.23.06 PM.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello chiami and welcome to MHB! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

greg1313 said:
Hello chiami and welcome to MHB! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

i edited what I wrote the first time, and it explains that I can't really explain what I don't know because I don't even know where to start

If, in fact, you have absolutely no idea where to start, you need to talk to your teacher. For one thing, you titled this "how to find distance between lines". What lines? If you mean the lines supporting the block, that "distance" is 0 because they all meet at the block! What you need to do is find the three x, y, and z components of the forces. As the weight is not "swaying" from side to side, the x and y components must sum to 0. Since the weight itself is 500 Newtons, the sum of the z-components must be 500 Newtons. That gives you three equations to solve for the three tensions.

Again, if you really do not know how to do any of those things, you need to talk to your teacher who clearly believes you should.

Related to Analytic Geometry: Confused on How to Solve Problem

1. What is analytic geometry?

Analytic geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry, using algebraic equations to describe geometric shapes and their properties. It allows us to solve problems using coordinates and equations rather than just visualizing them.

2. How do I know which equations to use to solve an analytic geometry problem?

To solve a problem in analytic geometry, you first need to identify the geometric shape involved. Then, you can use the standard equations for that shape, such as the distance formula for a line or the Pythagorean theorem for a triangle. It is important to understand the properties and characteristics of each shape to determine which equations to use.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving analytic geometry problems?

One common mistake is mixing up the coordinates of a point or using the wrong sign in an equation. It is important to carefully label and keep track of all coordinates and signs while solving a problem. Another mistake is not simplifying equations before solving them, leading to incorrect solutions.

4. How can I check my answers for analytic geometry problems?

There are a few ways to check your answers for analytic geometry problems. One way is to graph the equations and visually compare them to the given geometric shape. Another way is to plug in the coordinates in the original equations to see if they satisfy the equations. You can also use the distance formula to check if the distances between the points match up.

5. Can I use analytic geometry in real-world applications?

Yes, analytic geometry is widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving shapes, distances, and coordinates. For example, it can be used to design buildings, create computer graphics, and calculate the trajectory of a projectile.