An alternative introductory textbook for statistical mechanics

In summary, " and nothing before it:An Introduction To Thermodynamics And Statistical Mechanics by Stowe is the course textbook for my Statistical Physics course. I am having trouble with the book as it does NOT provide good examples and explanations nor does it have solutions just answers. I was wondering if there is a better book that covers the same material with more examples and explanations.
Eng_physicist
An Introduction To Thermodynamics And Statistical Mechanics by Stowe is the course textbook for my Statistical Physics course I am having trouble with the book as it does NOT provide good examples and explanations nor does it have solutions just answers.

I was wondering if there is Schaums or equivalent book with lots of worked through example that would cover the same materials be accessible to a beginner but still cover the more advanced topics as I will be using it for a 3rd year undergrad course it would need to cover things like quantum effects with diatomic molecules and quantum statistical mechanics

Even another textbook that covers the same materials with lots of worked through examples and better explanations

P.S sorry for the long post and thanks to any who reply

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know at which level you are studying Stat. Mech. On the graduate level, I'd recommend vol. V of Landau/Lisfshitz, which is very comprehensive and modern (although the original book was already written in 1939!). All problems (that are rather challenging) are solved in these books. On the undergraduate level, have a look at

H.B. Callen, Thermodynamics and Introduction to Thermostatistics

which gives a very good introduction into the concepts.

Another standard book is

Reif, Fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics,

which I personally find it has the tendencey to be a bit too talkative.

Likes 1 person
@vanhees71 "I don't know at which level you are studying Stat. Mech."
I am a 3rd year Undergrad this my first time being introduced to the subject from a physics prospective

Statistical Mechanics in a Nutshell
by Luca Peliti

theoristo said:
Statistical Mechanics in a Nutshell
by Luca Peliti

Isn't that more of a graduate level book though ?

Even lecture materials would help if anyone can recommend any although I would really like a book so I can work through problems preferably with solution so I can check my answers

vanhees71 said:
I don't know at which level you are studying Stat. Mech. On the graduate level, I'd recommend vol. V of Landau/Lisfshitz, which is very comprehensive and modern (although the original book was already written in 1939!). All problems (that are rather challenging) are solved in these books. On the undergraduate level, have a look at

H.B. Callen, Thermodynamics and Introduction to Thermostatistics

which gives a very good introduction into the concepts.

Another standard book is

Reif, Fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics,

which I personally find it has the tendencey to be a bit too talkative.

Do you know any for a upper year undergrad level (3rd year) with lots of problems that have solutions

The first 11 chapters of McQuarrie's statistical mechanics book are undergraduate level if you want to see examples of how the formalism is used.

I highly recommend Schroder, Thermal Physics.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you check your university library. There is nothing like flipping through a book to see if it is the type of book that would help. Perhaps your library has the book by mandl, or the book by bowley and sanchez. No, I have never looked at them, but a look at the table of contents they both have solutions and are undergrad level books. On amazon, the 'look inside' feature for bowley and sanchez
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0198505760/?tag=pfamazon01-20
allows you to look at a few pages of the solutions. It might be an awful book, I don't know, which is why I recommend the library.

by the way, I second the recommendation of schroeder - it has great explanations. No answers, though. Reif has answers (no solutions) to enough of the problems to have kept me on track. It is verbose, though, which was fine for me (no class, just self study) but might be too much to wade through while a full time student and taking courses based on other books.

jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to An alternative introductory textbook for statistical mechanics

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics and statistical mathematics that aims to explain the behavior of large systems of particles, such as atoms and molecules, using statistical principles. It provides a framework for understanding the relationship between the microscopic behavior of individual particles and the macroscopic properties of a system.

2. Why is an alternative introductory textbook for statistical mechanics needed?

Traditional textbooks on statistical mechanics can be quite challenging and intimidating for students, as they often rely heavily on advanced mathematical concepts. An alternative textbook aims to present the same material in a more accessible and intuitive way, making it easier for students to grasp the fundamental concepts and principles.

3. What topics are covered in this alternative textbook?

This alternative introductory textbook covers the basic principles of statistical mechanics, including concepts such as entropy, energy, and temperature. It also delves into more advanced topics such as phase transitions, critical phenomena, and non-equilibrium systems.

4. Who is the target audience for this textbook?

This alternative textbook is designed for undergraduate students in physics, chemistry, and engineering who are taking an introductory course in statistical mechanics. It is also suitable for graduate students who are looking for a more intuitive and conceptual understanding of the subject.

5. How is this alternative textbook different from traditional textbooks?

This alternative textbook uses a more visual and intuitive approach, with a focus on conceptual understanding rather than mathematical derivations. It also includes real-world examples and applications to help students see the relevance of statistical mechanics in various fields of science and engineering.