Ammeter in a problem, calculating currents

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with 3 resistors and an ammeter, and the calculation of current when R1 = 20 ohms, R2 = 30 ohms, R3 = 50 ohms. The ammeter's internal resistance is given as Ra = 10 ohms. The conversation also mentions the calculation of current when the ammeter is ideal (Ra = 0). The correct answer is determined to be I = 0.6 A.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2602/thecircuit002.jpg

This circuit is made out of 3 resistors and an ampmeter A whose internal resistance is Ra = 10 ohms

1) Calculate the flow going through the ampmeter where R1 = 20 ohms, R2 = 30 ohms, R3 = 50 ohms

2) Come back and calculate the current that goes through the ampmeter when the ampmeter is ideal. (Ra = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the only solutions I can think of to write. I don't know the actual answer, but it doesn't seem like a complicated problem. Can anyone help me see it through?

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/5703/rrrrz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first answer is correct, but second one is wrong.
When the ammeter is ideal, Ra=0 but R3≠0.

Hmm.
So I = 30/50
I = 0.6 [A]

Is that it?

Yes.
Try to attempt the question at least 5 times before posting on PF. It saves time :smile:

A) I can attempt it all I want, but I don't have the answer until someone tells me I'm right. As far as I'm concerned, "undefined" could've potentially been the answer.

B) Thanks

Related to Ammeter in a problem, calculating currents

1. What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is a measuring instrument used to measure the electric current in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit, meaning that the current flows through the ammeter itself.

2. How do I use an ammeter to calculate currents?

To use an ammeter to calculate currents, you will need to first connect the ammeter in series with the circuit. Then, use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) to calculate the current, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. Make sure to use the appropriate units for each value (volts and ohms for V and R, respectively, and amps for I).

3. What is the difference between an ammeter and a voltmeter?

An ammeter measures current, while a voltmeter measures voltage. In other words, an ammeter measures the flow of electric charge, while a voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

4. Can an ammeter be used to measure AC and DC currents?

Yes, there are ammeters that can measure both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents. However, it is important to make sure that the ammeter is rated for the type of current being measured, as using the wrong type of ammeter can result in inaccurate readings or damage to the instrument.

5. What are some common units for measuring current?

The most common unit for measuring current is the ampere (A), which is equivalent to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second. Other common units include milliamps (mA) and microamps (µA), which are equal to one-thousandth and one-millionth of an ampere, respectively.