Circuit Analysis with Two Batteries and an Ammeter

In summary, the ammeter will read 0.5 A when the switch is closed, based on the equation V = IR where V is the voltage from the battery. The other battery and resistors do not affect the current through the ammeter, as the circuit can be analyzed using the principle of superposition and the properties of an ideal voltage source. The voltage across the 50 ohm resistor can be calculated using the equation V = IR, and factors such as internal resistance and the behavior of an ideal voltage source can affect this voltage.
henry3369

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/6Cds4YF

What will the ammeter read when the switch is closed?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I already calculated the emf of the battery one the left to be about 27 V.
It seems that the answer to the question is as simple as using V = IR where V is from the battery.
So I = V/R = 25/50 = 0.5 A.

I don't understand why the other battery to the left and the other resistors don't affect the current through the ammeter though. Wouldn't using the numbers for calculating the current, assume that the only item in the circuit is a 25 V battery and one 50 ohm resistor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the voltage across the 50 ohm resistor? What factors affect what that voltage is?

Use principle of superposition, one battery at a time.

If the battery has no internal resistance it behaves like an ideal voltage source. Think about the properties of an ideal voltage source.

Related to Circuit Analysis with Two Batteries and an Ammeter

1. How does a circuit with two batteries work?

A circuit with two batteries works by connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other battery, creating a closed loop for the flow of electric current. This allows for a higher voltage to be supplied to the circuit, which can power more complex electrical devices.

2. Can I use two different types of batteries in a circuit?

Yes, you can use two different types of batteries in a circuit as long as they have the same voltage. However, using two different types of batteries with different voltages can cause damage to the circuit or the batteries themselves.

3. How do I calculate the total voltage in a circuit with two batteries?

To calculate the total voltage in a circuit with two batteries, you simply add the voltage of both batteries together. For example, if one battery has a voltage of 1.5V and the other has a voltage of 3V, the total voltage in the circuit would be 4.5V.

4. What happens if I connect the batteries in the circuit the wrong way?

If you connect the batteries in the circuit the wrong way, it will create a reverse polarity. This means that the positive and negative terminals will be switched, causing the circuit to not work properly or potentially damaging the batteries or other components in the circuit.

5. Can I add more than two batteries to a circuit?

Yes, you can add more than two batteries to a circuit by connecting them in series. This means connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the next battery and so on. The voltage of the circuit will increase with each additional battery, but the total voltage will depend on the type and number of batteries used.