Am I studying physics/calculus right?

• Thread starter Thewindyfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the main issue the speaker is facing is that they make small errors but they end up costing them points on their exams. They suggest practicing slowly and focusing more, as well as remembering common mistakes and avoiding them on exam day.
Thewindyfan
So I've been doing relatively well in all of my classes so far since I've started university and even though I end up doing good enough to get the grades I want in the end, a common issue I keep coming across whenever I'm practicing problems, be it word or straight up calculus problems (stuff like finding the domain of a complex looking function or finding minima/maxima of a function), I tend to continuously make little yet costly mistakes.

Of course the solution is to practice, practice, and practice more problems until they become 2nd nature to me, and so I did make sure to do that and also make sure I'm understanding why I'm doing something, but come the day I get my exam back and instead of getting a really high A, I get like a 93-95/100 on my exams, with the points I missed due to small errors in algebra or forgetting to account for some little part of the problem that I did write down in the beginning of said problem.

I feel like it's probably because of the fact that I try to do these problems as clear yet quick as I would like to after reading the question statement once or twice so I think it would be beneficial to do these problems more slowly, yet when it's exam day I have to go at a relatively fast pace since it's timed. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn to clear your head and focus. Maybe some meditation exercises might help? Remember that there is no benefit to finishing the problems faster. (unless you are at risk of running out of time in class.) Perhaps, once you finish the test, re-read each question and then check your answer. Time focused elsewhere can help you spot an error you missed before.

It's also possible that you have already answered your own question. Practice practice.

Likes Thewindyfan
The only thing that breaks this is consistency gained from doing dozens of problems and the patience to keep sitting down when you've deemed yourself finished on an exam and rework the problems while following your first attempts to see if any algebra mistakes come up.

For working problem sets, when I was learning triple integrals (probably one of the most algebra intensive parts of calculus) I picked out the most tedious problems I could and worked them out. If I got the wrong answer, I'd look through my work to find the mistake, and keep that mistake in the front of my mind when I continued on with more problems. It'd be something simple like forgetting to divide by 3 instead of 2 when integrating x^2. At the end of it I had a list of the common mistakes I made to remember for my exam. When the exam came, I thought of each of those types of errors with every problems I did, and made sure not to do them again. I ended up with a 99 on that exam with no curve.

Likes Thewindyfan
Algr said:
Learn to clear your head and focus. Maybe some meditation exercises might help? Remember that there is no benefit to finishing the problems faster. (unless you are at risk of running out of time in class.) Perhaps, once you finish the test, re-read each question and then check your answer. Time focused elsewhere can help you spot an error you missed before.

It's also possible that you have already answered your own question. Practice practice.
Yeah, I just realized it may also be due to multi-tasking inadvertently, because that is most possibly the one thing that happens when I do homework or simply practice sometimes, which does ruin focus. Also thank you for making that note Photon, I'll make sure to do the same thing this time around. I always made mistakes and I would immediately keep it fresh in my mind to not make that same mistake, but then come exam time when I'm feeling confident in my ability to do well on these exams, I end up making ones just like them or at least very similar ones to them anyway.

Thanks for the tips so far guys! This is really helping me out.

Related to Am I studying physics/calculus right?

1. What are some effective study strategies for physics/calculus?

Some effective study strategies for physics/calculus include practicing problems regularly, seeking help from professors or peers, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, and utilizing online resources such as videos and practice quizzes.

2. How can I tell if I am understanding the material correctly?

A good way to test your understanding is by attempting practice problems on your own without using any notes or resources. If you are able to solve the problems correctly, it is a good indication that you have a solid understanding of the material.

3. Should I focus on memorizing equations or understanding the concepts?

While it is important to have a basic understanding of the equations, it is more important to focus on understanding the underlying concepts. This will not only help you solve problems more effectively, but also make it easier to remember the equations in the long run.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying physics/calculus?

It is recommended to devote at least 2-3 hours per week for each credit hour of the course. So if you are taking a 3-credit hour physics/calculus class, you should aim to spend 6-9 hours studying each week.

5. Is it normal to struggle with physics/calculus?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with physics/calculus. These subjects require a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and it is common for students to face challenges. The key is to seek help when needed and to persist through the difficulties, as the concepts will become clearer with practice and perseverance.