Alignment checks of the light and X-ray fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a radiography course lab where the alignment of the collimation light and its accuracy in representing the x-ray beam is tested. The question at hand is how to measure the x-ray field in cm and as a percentage of the SID. The test also checks for congruence and size of the x-ray and light fields, with specific requirements in the US. The conversation also mentions using a small focal spot for better definition of the collimator edges during the test.
thang08
I was doing a first year imaging lab (in radiography course). We were supposed to check the alignment of the collimation light, and how accurate it represents the x-ray "beam". One of the question in the task question is to determine "the x-ray fields (express this answer in cm and a percentage of the SID)"

The bold part got me puzzled, x-ray field: isn't it supposed to be area of the x-ray? then how do we measure x-ray in cm?. Well, I think I got to be wrong on that assumption but my head doesn't give me any other suggestion. I've looked up 4 different book about medical imaging but none mentioned the matter.

I've attached a copy of the prac sheet to make it clearer.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• lab1011-06_p03_LBD.pdf
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,945
Biology news on Phys.org
There are two things this test checks for: x-ray and light field congruence (how far off is the center of the radiation field to the center of the light field) and x-ray/light field size (are they the same size).

The light field is supposed to represent the area that is supposed to be irradiated by the x-ray beam. This means that the center of the light field and x-ray field should coincide. Because of how the light field is projected, this can be affected by the position of the light bulb, the type of light bulb and the position/angle of the mirror. In the US, the x-ray/light field alignment needs to be within 2% of the SID (~2 cm for a 40"/101.8 cm).

The other part of the test checks whether the size of the light field is the same as the size of the radiation field produced. If you set the collimators to produce a 24x30 cm light field, the radiation field produced should also be 24x30 cm. In the US, the difference between the length/width of the light field and the radiation field needs to be less than 2% SID, and the sum of the length and width differences needs to be less than 4% SID.

In the questions part of your worksheet, the second and third line are both part of the same question, not two different questions.

Tip: When you do the test, use the small focal spot. It will give you better definition of the collimator edges.

Last edited:

I can provide some clarification on the concept of alignment checks for the light and x-ray fields. The x-ray field refers to the area where the x-rays are being directed during a radiography procedure. This area is determined by the size of the collimator and the distance from the x-ray source to the patient (known as the source-to-image distance or SID). In order to accurately represent the x-ray beam, the collimation light should be aligned with the x-ray field.

In order to determine the x-ray field, you can measure the dimensions of the collimation light and calculate the corresponding area in square centimeters. This can then be expressed as a percentage of the SID, which is the distance from the x-ray source to the image receptor (such as a film or digital detector). This percentage is important because it helps ensure that the x-ray field is properly centered on the image receptor and that the entire area is being exposed to the x-rays.

I understand that this may seem confusing at first, but it is an important concept to understand in radiography. It is also important to note that different books or resources may use slightly different terminology or methods, but the overall concept should remain the same. I hope this helps clarify the matter for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Alignment checks of the light and X-ray fields

1. What is the purpose of aligning the light and X-ray fields?

The purpose of aligning the light and X-ray fields is to ensure that the two fields are overlapping and in the same position, allowing for accurate imaging and measurements.

2. How is the alignment of the light and X-ray fields checked?

The alignment of the light and X-ray fields is typically checked using specialized equipment such as collimators, lasers, and alignment scopes. These tools help to accurately measure and adjust the position of the fields.

3. What are the potential consequences of misaligned light and X-ray fields?

Misaligned light and X-ray fields can result in distorted or inaccurate images, leading to incorrect diagnoses and treatment plans. It can also expose patients to unnecessary radiation and increase the risk of errors during procedures.

4. How often should alignment checks of the light and X-ray fields be performed?

Alignment checks of the light and X-ray fields should be performed regularly, typically before each use or at the start of each day. This ensures that any changes in equipment or positioning are accounted for and corrected.

5. What can be done if the light and X-ray fields are found to be misaligned?

If the light and X-ray fields are found to be misaligned, adjustments can be made using the specialized equipment mentioned earlier. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and verify the alignment after any adjustments are made.