Air leak on a Star Trek-style shuttle - what happens?

• Thread starter dbaezner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Star
In summary, the shuttle would need to be without power or emergency generators and crew incapacitated in another way in order to knock out the characters without permanently injuring them. The effects of oxygen deprivation in general might be enough to incapacitate the characters. A force field would protect the shuttle. If a leak occurred, the alarm would go off and the crew might be able to don suits or breathing gear. If the AI went bad, the characters might be "terminated."
dbaezner
Hi. I'm writing a space opera with your typical Star Trek-style shuttle. In the story, the ship is hit and begins leaking air. I want to knock out the characters (e.g., due to reduced oxygen before they can be rescued) without permanently injuring them due to loss of pressure or other effects caused by the leak. The Wikipedia page on cabin pressure was over my head.

Thanks
Dirk

Physics news on Phys.org
You should review ST episodes (is this OS, TNG or what?) involving characters in situations where the air is running out.
Generally an ST shuttle is protected by a force field and air is produced either from store or by replicators. The shuttle will need to be without power or emergency generators and crew incapacitated in another way. But still ... it may be that enough air could escape before the emergency systems seal the breach to make the crew pass out. You want to look up the effects of oxygen deprivation in general rather than cabin pressure stuff.

And you might get them out of Simon's predicament by having an alien spacecraft pick them up. Chose Romulan, Klingon, or "other".

dbaezner said:
Hi. I'm writing a space opera with your typical Star Trek-style shuttle. In the story, the ship is hit and begins leaking air. I want to knock out the characters (e.g., due to reduced oxygen before they can be rescued) without permanently injuring them due to loss of pressure or other effects caused by the leak. The Wikipedia page on cabin pressure was over my head.

Thanks
Dirk
From what little I've read it appears that once oxygen starvation has reached the point to induce unconsciousness, permanent brain damage has likely already occurred.

ST shuttles have a built in easy way to knock em all out shake the ship they don't have seat belts they would be like eggs in a shoe box being shaken. big enough turbulence they all die just enough to get head trauma should be possible.

How fast does it have to be? Apollo 13's crew was nearly killed by their CO2 filters not working. It would take a decent amount of time for the gas to build up, but if a system was malfunctioning, they might not even be aware of it.

I know in Star Trek the ship is help together by force fields and they can replicate air pretty easily.

The system wasn't malfunctioning, the filters were exhausted. They could only absorb so much CO2.

Even 20th century commercial airplanes had oxygen masks that dropped down if needed. You would think some similar backup would be in place in a more advanced craft in a riskier environment.

Vanadium 50 said:
Even 20th century commercial airplanes had oxygen masks that dropped down if needed. You would think some similar backup would be in place in a more advanced craft in a riskier environment.
That's always my favorite grumble. "The ship was sinking rapidly." Okay, so if this is the 24th Century*, why don't they have things to stop ships from sinking? *25th and half Century for you Duck Dodgers fans.

Noisy Rhysling said:
That's always my favorite grumble. "The ship was sinking rapidly." Okay, so if this is the 24th Century*, why don't they have things to stop ships from sinking?
Maybe for the same reason that the moment you turn the power off, the orbit starts to decay. :woot:

Likes Michael Price
DaveC426913 said:
Maybe for the same reason that the moment you turn the power off, the orbit starts to decay. :woot:
you mean plot advancement?

Likes DaveC426913
I like plots that are advanced through thoughtful writing.

And I know those are few and far between.

Depends on how large a leak. Would it cause explosive decompression? Does the leak occur in vacuum or in atmosphere? Is atmosphere toxic? Small leaks would generate an alarm(big ones too) and could be patched. Crew could don suits(given time) or breathing gear depending on outside pressure(or vacuum).
If as noted a force field exists to protect shuttle, no problem as long as field is ok.
Why not have a android aboard to fix any leaks etc. They don't need air. But I suppose if they go bad then they might let all the others "terminate". Can't always trust these AIs you know!

Related to Air leak on a Star Trek-style shuttle - what happens?

1. What causes an air leak on a Star Trek-style shuttle?

An air leak on a Star Trek-style shuttle can be caused by a variety of factors, such as damage to the hull, malfunctioning seals or valves, or a breach in the airlock. It is important to quickly identify and address the cause of the leak to prevent further damage and potential danger to the crew.

2. How does an air leak affect the shuttle and its crew?

An air leak can have several effects on the shuttle and its crew. It can disrupt the air pressure and composition inside the shuttle, leading to difficulty breathing and potential loss of consciousness. It can also cause damage to the shuttle's systems and equipment, and potentially compromise the structural integrity of the shuttle.

3. How can an air leak on a shuttle be detected?

There are several ways to detect an air leak on a shuttle. One method is through the use of sensors that can detect changes in air pressure or composition. Crew members can also visually inspect the shuttle for any visible damage or signs of an air leak, such as hissing sounds or floating objects.

4. What are the immediate steps to take when an air leak is detected on a shuttle?

If an air leak is detected on a shuttle, the first step is to notify the rest of the crew and the shuttle's control center. The affected area should be isolated and sealed off to prevent the leak from spreading. Crew members may also need to don emergency breathing apparatuses and evacuate to a safe area while the leak is being addressed.

5. How can an air leak on a shuttle be repaired?

The method of repairing an air leak on a shuttle will depend on the cause and severity of the leak. In some cases, a simple patch or seal may be enough to stop the leak. In more serious cases, the damaged area may need to be replaced or reinforced. It is important for the crew to have proper training and equipment to handle repairs in a safe and effective manner.