Aerospace Engineering Student: Advice Needed

In summary, a person with a physics degree and no programming experience can successfully enter into an engineering program as a graduate student. However, they will need to learn the material on the fly and may be frustrated at how simplified things can get. Good luck!
hawk071054
Greetings PF. First off, I just discovered this site and I've already found it to be quite valuable. Cheers to the moderators!

Now then, my inquiry. I have been accepted into an aerospace engineering program and have made plans to return to school full time this fall. I barely made the cut-off for minimum GPA and I got my B.A. in physics about ten years ago. For the past year, I've been taking math refresher courses (lin. alg., ODE, and calc III) to prepare for re-entry (pun intended). Important note, I've never actually taken an engineering course and my adviser has placed me in mid to upper level undergrad classes for my first semester (15 hrs). Although I'm very interested in the topic, I am a bit nervous about re-entering school as engineering grad student since I haven't even had CAD or any programming courses. I feel as though I'll need to learn things on the fly. Has anyone faced this issue before? If so, did you successfully navigate the program? I'd really like to hear from people who were in a similar situation.
Also, I've long been curious about mech. vs. aero regarding my chosen path. From browsing online posts in recent days, I've read that the math associated with aero is much more difficult than mechanical. Is this true? I would appreciate honest and direct feedback. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
CAD software usage depends which particular area you enter into for Aerospace, if you are designing sector, you would require skills of CAD to design. If you enter hands on field, like technicians then it is alright.

Mechanical is more general part of engineering as compared to Aerospace, which specializes more one area more.. so yes, math and physics would be of a higher requirement.

Aerospace grad here. First off, good choice! I can tell you from experience (my girlfriend got her bachelors in physics, we went to school together), that the math will not be as hard as what you had to do in physics (which I assume is a lot of derivations). In my experience, we derived things first, then used the resulting equation(s) the rest of the time (with the exception of rare cases where derivation was required every time). In general, nothing you should have a problem with.

The CAD shouldn't be a huge issue, depending on where you are going to school. My program required one class to learn it, then it wasn't really ever required again. It was nice at times for projects, and it was usually always done by the person who was most familiar with it to save time (choose your friends wisely), but definitely not required. And outside of occasionally using Matlab, there was almost no programming.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is you will do absolutely fine. Especially with a background in physics. It might even frustrate you how simplified things can get. Looks like your semester already started, so good luck and keep it up!

Welcome to the world of practicality and higher starting salaries :)

Related to Aerospace Engineering Student: Advice Needed

1. What courses should I take to become an aerospace engineering student?

As an aerospace engineering student, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics. You should also take courses in aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and mechanics. Additionally, courses in computer programming and materials science can be beneficial.

2. What skills are necessary to succeed as an aerospace engineering student?

Aerospace engineering requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail and critical thinking abilities. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important in this field.

3. Are internships important for aerospace engineering students?

Yes, internships are highly recommended for aerospace engineering students. They provide hands-on experience and allow you to apply your knowledge in a real-world setting. They also provide valuable networking opportunities and can help you secure a job after graduation.

4. What are some career options for aerospace engineering students?

Aerospace engineering students can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, and aviation. Some common job titles include aerospace engineer, aircraft designer, systems engineer, and research and development engineer.

5. How can I prepare for a career in aerospace engineering?

In addition to completing a degree in aerospace engineering, it is important to gain practical experience through internships or research projects. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on industry developments can also help you prepare for a career in aerospace engineering.