Aerospace Engineering for Propulsion: Is It Worth It?

In summary, the person is questioning whether they should pursue a degree in Aerospace engineering if they are not interested in aircraft/spacecraft design but are interested in propulsion and plan to get an advanced degree in plasma physics or nuclear engineering. They are unsure if a degree in aerospace will provide enough background. They are considering transferring to a school with a curriculum in aerospace engineering and are wondering if it is worth joining associations such as AIAA. A friend of theirs is pursuing a similar path and the curriculum at the transferring school seems lacking compared to their own university's propulsion option. They realize that the transferring school does have a propulsion preparation course. EP stands for Engineering Physics.
Marioqwe
Should I get into Aerospace engineering if I am not interested in aircraft/ spacecraft design at all? I am interested in propulsion and I will probably get an advanced degree in plasma physics or nuclear engineering. I am not sure if a degree in aerospace will give me enough background.

Here is the curriculum of the school I'll be transferring to:

http://www.undergradcatalog.registrar.vt.edu/1011/eng/aoe.html

Also, is it worth joining associations such as the AIAA? why or why not?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a friend doing exactly the same thing as you want to do. He did his BSAE in propulsion and is doing his BS in EP to get the physics fundamentals, then will be off to do his masters in some advanced physics. Sure its feasible however, I don't know if anyone university really tailors to that kind of interest exactly.

But I took a look at that curriculum and honestly its paltry compared to the propulsion option at my university. We have 1 semester of aerospace propulsion preliminary work, and 2 semesters of propulsion design (both preliminary and detail). Whereas they have 1 semester of design and no propulsion prep courses.

Edit: Oops, they do have a propulsion prep course.

What does EP stand for? Electrical Physics? :-p

Engineering Physics.

As a scientist with a background in aerospace engineering, I can say that the field of propulsion is a crucial aspect of aerospace engineering and has many exciting and important applications in both aircraft and spacecraft design. However, it is important to note that aerospace engineering is a broad and multidisciplinary field, and while propulsion is a significant component, it is not the only area of focus.

If you are not interested in aircraft or spacecraft design, it may be worth considering if an aerospace engineering degree is the best fit for your interests and career goals. While a degree in aerospace engineering will certainly provide you with a strong foundation in propulsion and related topics, it may not be the most efficient path if your main focus is on plasma physics or nuclear engineering.

I would recommend carefully reviewing the curriculum of the school you are transferring to and seeing if it aligns with your interests and goals. You may also want to consider reaching out to current students or faculty in the aerospace engineering program to get a better understanding of the coursework and research opportunities available.

As for joining associations such as the AIAA, it can be a valuable way to network and stay updated on the latest advancements in the field. However, it ultimately depends on your personal interests and how involved you want to be in the aerospace community. If you do decide to pursue a degree in aerospace engineering, I would highly recommend becoming a member of professional associations like the AIAA to stay connected and learn from others in the field.

Related to Aerospace Engineering for Propulsion: Is It Worth It?

1. What is aerospace engineering for propulsion?

Aerospace engineering for propulsion is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design and development of propulsion systems for aircraft, spacecraft, and other flying vehicles. This involves the study of aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and mechanics to create efficient and powerful propulsion systems.

2. What are the benefits of studying aerospace engineering for propulsion?

Studying aerospace engineering for propulsion can lead to a rewarding and exciting career in the aerospace industry. It also allows individuals to contribute to the advancement of technology and exploration of space. Additionally, it offers opportunities for innovation and the development of new and improved propulsion systems.

3. Is aerospace engineering for propulsion a difficult field of study?

Yes, aerospace engineering for propulsion can be a challenging field of study. It requires a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a fulfilling and highly rewarding field.

4. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in aerospace engineering for propulsion?

With a degree in aerospace engineering for propulsion, you can pursue a variety of careers in the aerospace industry, such as a propulsion engineer, aerospace systems engineer, or aerospace research scientist. You may also have opportunities to work in government agencies, such as NASA, or in the private sector for companies that design and manufacture propulsion systems.

5. Is a degree in aerospace engineering for propulsion worth the investment?

This ultimately depends on individual interests and career goals. However, a degree in aerospace engineering for propulsion can lead to a high-paying and fulfilling career in a constantly evolving and exciting industry. It also offers opportunities for personal and professional growth and the ability to contribute to the advancement of technology and exploration of space.