Advise -choosing final year undergrad courses

In summary, the conversation is about choosing final year undergraduate courses for a student who plans to pursue an MSc in financial mathematics. The courses they have already chosen are complex analysis, functional analysis, stochastic processes, advanced numerical analysis, and a dissertation on measure theory/Lebesgue integration or Perron-Frobenius theorem. The student is seeking advice on which two modules to choose from Lie group and Lie algebra, representation theory, asymptotic analysis, quantum mechanics, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear systems with applications to biology. They are also considering doing a course on asymptotic analysis and are wondering if the nonlinear systems course will cover enough material for financial modeling. The expert recommends not choosing algebraic geometry or representation theory for their intended career path
gomes.
Advise --choosing final year undergrad courses

I need to pick my module choices for my 3rd and final year, and I am stuck on the final few modules I should choose.

For my final year, I already plan to do courses in complex analysis, functional analysis, stochastic processes, and advanced numerical analysis (Numerical ordinary differential equations//Numerical solutions to PDE's and ODE's), and I plan to do a dissertation on measure theory/lebesgue integration, or Perron–Frobenius theorem.

I am left to choose 2 more modules from the following below, may I ask for advice on choosing my modules? My intention is to do an MSc in financial maths, bearing in mind where universities usually ask for an emphsis in linear algebra, analysis, differential equations and probability theory..
I need to choose from:
1. Lie group and lie algebra
2. Representation Theory
3. Asymptotic analysis
4. Quantum mechanics
5. Algebraic geometry
6. Nonlinear systems with applications to biology (contains stuff on DE's, but related to biology??)

Any advice on which 2 of the 6 i should choose? I am thinking of doing representation theory (as it has stuff on linear algebra) and algebraic geometry, but any advise?
==============================================
And for my dissertation, i plan to do either measure theory/lebesgue integration OR the perron-frobenius theorem. Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is asymptotic analysis abou? That certainly looks interesting to somebody going for financial math. Also the course on nonlinear systems look could have some benefits for you.

As for the algebraic geometry and representation theory: they are useles for measure theory and financial math. So if you expect your courses to be usable later, then don't take those. However, if it interests you, then take them. It doesn't really matter that much.

micromass said:
What is asymptotic analysis abou?

My understanding from a brief discussion with a lecturer is that it is about the limiting behaviour of functions in special cases. A very simple example might be neglecting parts of an expression proportional to inverse temperature at very high temperatures.

Yes, I suspect non-linear systems will have use in financial modelling, but I wonder if you will cover sufficient material in your Numerical Analysis course - do you know if this treats non-linear DEs?

As a scientist, my advice would be to consider your future career goals and interests when choosing your final year undergraduate courses. Since you are interested in pursuing an MSc in financial maths, it would be beneficial to choose modules that align with this field and strengthen your knowledge in linear algebra, analysis, differential equations, and probability theory.

Based on the modules you have listed, I would recommend choosing representation theory and asymptotic analysis. Representation theory deals with the study of linear transformations and can be applied in various fields, including finance. Asymptotic analysis is also relevant in financial mathematics, as it deals with approximating solutions to complex problems.

For your dissertation, both measure theory/lebesgue integration and the perron-frobenius theorem are interesting and relevant topics. I would suggest considering which one you have a stronger interest in and which one would complement your chosen modules. Additionally, you could also speak with your professors or academic advisors for their input and guidance on choosing a dissertation topic.

Overall, my advice is to choose modules that align with your interests, future career goals, and complement each other to provide a well-rounded education. Good luck with your final year!

Related to Advise -choosing final year undergrad courses

1. What factors should I consider when choosing my final year undergraduate courses?

When choosing your final year undergraduate courses, you should consider your major or area of study, your career goals, your academic strengths and weaknesses, and any prerequisite courses required for graduation or future studies.

2. How do I know which courses will be most beneficial for my future career?

To determine which courses will be most beneficial for your future career, research the job market and industry trends in your field of study. You can also speak with academic advisors, professors, and professionals in your desired career to gain insight on what courses will be most relevant and valuable.

3. Should I take courses that are outside of my major in my final year?

It can be beneficial to take courses outside of your major in your final year, as it can broaden your knowledge and skills and make you a more well-rounded candidate for future employment or graduate studies. However, it is important to also prioritize completing any remaining requirements for your major.

4. How many courses should I take in my final year?

The number of courses you take in your final year will depend on your individual circumstances, such as your workload, academic ability, and any extracurricular commitments. It is important to balance your course load to ensure you can handle the workload and maintain a good academic standing.

5. Can I change my final year courses if I realize they are not the right fit for me?

In most cases, you can change your final year courses if you realize they are not the right fit for you. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor or department to ensure that the change will not affect your graduation timeline or require you to take additional courses. It is also important to make any changes as early as possible to avoid any negative impact on your academic progress.