Advise appreciated: Somewhat lost in life.

In summary, the individual is 23 years old and went straight to work after high school. They have a private pilot certificate but have decided not to pursue it as a career due to financial constraints. They plan on starting college next fall and are considering electrical engineering, believing they have the intelligence to succeed. Their main concern is the initial pay they can expect with a BS in EE, as they currently make $35,000 and would like to make $60,000. They are seeking advice and are directed to a website for information on pay for electrical engineers.
Holocene
Here's the quick story...

I'm 23, and went to work full-time after graduating high-school. (Mistake, I know).

Part of me thought of becoming a pilot, and in fact I did at least earn my private certificate this past summer. But, the way flying is, it's a long road financially, and once you do get a job, the pay is somewhat meager. All in all, I think I'd rather fly for recreational purposes. So, doing it for a living is currently on the back burner.

What I do know is that I WILL, without question, be starting college next fall.

I'm seriously considering going after electrical engineering. I know I am smart enough to do it, if I apply myself. That I know.

My question is, what can I realistically expect, as far as initial pay, if I do obtain a BS in EE?

I just feel like I need to be making around $60,000/year, not the ****ty $35,000 I'm making now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're in the US go here: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

my advice would be to carefully consider your interests and strengths before committing to a specific career path. While it is important to have a stable income, it is also important to pursue a field that you are passionate about and will bring fulfillment in the long term.

If you are interested in electrical engineering, I would recommend researching the job market and potential salary ranges for this field. You can also reach out to professionals in the field or attend career fairs to gain more insight into the industry. Additionally, internships or job shadowing opportunities can give you a better understanding of what the day-to-day responsibilities of an electrical engineer entail.

It is also important to keep in mind that salary is not the only factor to consider when choosing a career. Benefits, job satisfaction, and opportunities for growth and advancement should also be taken into account.

In terms of your current job, it may be worthwhile to explore opportunities for advancement or additional training to increase your salary. You can also look into other industries or positions that align more with your interests and goals.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it is important to take the time to carefully evaluate your options and make a well-informed decision. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Related to Advise appreciated: Somewhat lost in life.

1. How do I figure out what I want in life?

It can be helpful to reflect on your values, interests, and goals. Consider trying new activities, seeking out mentors, and exploring different career paths to gain a better understanding of what you enjoy and what you are passionate about.

2. I don't know what career path to pursue. What should I do?

Take some time to think about your strengths, skills, and interests. Consider talking to a career counselor or taking career assessments to gain insight into potential career paths. It can also be helpful to gain experience through internships or part-time jobs to see what career path may be the best fit for you.

3. I feel like I am falling behind in life. How can I catch up?

It's important to remember that everyone's journey is different and there is no set timeline for success. Focus on setting small, achievable goals and celebrate your progress. It may also be helpful to seek support and guidance from friends, family, or a therapist to help you navigate through this feeling of falling behind.

4. How can I overcome fear and take risks in my life?

Fear is a natural emotion, but it should not hold you back from pursuing your goals and dreams. Start by identifying what specifically is holding you back and try to reframe your thoughts to focus on the potential positive outcomes of taking a risk. Remember that taking risks can lead to personal growth and new opportunities.

5. What should I do if I don't know what makes me happy?

It's normal to not know what makes you happy all the time. Make a list of things that have brought you joy in the past and try to incorporate them into your daily life. It's also important to prioritize self-care and take time to explore new activities and experiences to find what brings you happiness.