Advice: Software: ROOT and course: Applied PDE

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's upcoming semester where they will be learning applied partial differential equations and the software of "ROOT". They seek advice on how to prepare for the semester and ask for tips on working with ROOT. The conversation also touches on the differences between ordinary and partial differential equations and the speaker's concern about potentially being over their head in the graduate level course. They also discuss the usefulness of PDEs in the physical sciences. The speaker receives a link to a helpful resource for reviewing before the course starts.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Tomorrow I embark on a new semester and this semester I have the pleasure of learning applied partial differential equations and the software of "ROOT"

ROOT: https://root.cern.ch/

So I am here to solicite advice.

1. In regards to ROOT, is there anything that can set me up better for a more successful semester? I am moderately code-savvy. I have it installed on my mac, windows, and linux. The mac is my laptop which I bring to course. Is there any tips you have for working on ROOT?

2. For Applied Partial Differential Equations, here is my situation. I took a 4-week summer course of differential equations. It was rather easy for me, but admittedly now I can barely remember much of it. Applied PDE is a graduate level 481 course while diff eqns was an undergrad 220 course. What's the difference between the two? What is partial vs. regular DE.
Are there any good sites that focus on the material that I can browse? What is the main few ideas/things that anyone taking applied PDE is going to learn?
Is it possible that I am in over my head in this course? I've done extremely well in all my math courses prior.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
Tomorrow I embark on a new semester and this semester I have the pleasure of learning applied partial differential equations and the software of "ROOT"

ROOT: https://root.cern.ch/

So I am here to solicite advice.

1. In regards to ROOT, is there anything that can set me up better for a more successful semester? I am moderately code-savvy. I have it installed on my mac, windows, and linux. The mac is my laptop which I bring to course. Is there any tips you have for working on ROOT?

2. For Applied Partial Differential Equations, here is my situation. I took a 4-week summer course of differential equations. It was rather easy for me, but admittedly now I can barely remember much of it. Applied PDE is a graduate level 481 course while diff eqns was an undergrad 220 course. What's the difference between the two? What is partial vs. regular DE.
Are there any good sites that focus on the material that I can browse? What is the main few ideas/things that anyone taking applied PDE is going to learn?
Is it possible that I am in over my head in this course? I've done extremely well in all my math courses prior.

If you've got experience with C++, ROOT will be intuitive. Go through the tutorials on the CERN website.

You could very well be over your head with the graduate level PDE course. Didn't they offer an undergraduate one?

PDE's deal with multidimensional problems(more than one variable) and their partial derivatives, while ODE's (what it sounds like you took) are a special case, which are one dimensional.

Likes RJLiberator
The courses concerning diff eq's goes from Math 220 Differential equations to Math 480 Applied Diff EQ to Math 481 Applied Partial Diff Eq.

No other courses for Diff EQ are listed in between them or afterwards.

RJLiberator said:
The courses concerning diff eq's goes from Math 220 Differential equations to Math 480 Applied Diff EQ to Math 481 Applied Partial Diff Eq.

No other courses for Diff EQ are listed in between them or afterwards.

Interesting, maybe you won't be over your head then. Kind of curious they don't have the course offered at an undergrad level.

Take a look at http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/IntroPDE.aspx, that should help you some if you review before before class starts. (Or get's too serious)

PDE's are incredibly useful for the physical sciences, enjoy.

Likes RJLiberator
PDE's are incredibly useful for the physical sciences.

:). Excellent. When I saw the course available to my schedule I was very happy to try it out for this reason.

The link you supplied me looks great. I will keep it handy.

Related to Advice: Software: ROOT and course: Applied PDE

1. What is ROOT and how is it used in scientific research?

ROOT is an open-source software framework used for data analysis and visualization in scientific research. It is primarily used in high-energy physics, but can also be applied to other fields such as astronomy and biology. It provides a user-friendly interface for analyzing large datasets and creating complex plots and graphs.

2. Can ROOT be used for solving differential equations?

Yes, ROOT has a built-in library for solving differential equations, making it a useful tool for applied PDE (partial differential equation) courses. It offers various numerical methods for solving both ordinary and partial differential equations, as well as tools for visualizing the solutions.

3. How is ROOT different from other data analysis software?

ROOT is specifically designed for scientific research and has a strong focus on data analysis and visualization. It offers a wide range of statistical and mathematical tools, making it a comprehensive solution for data analysis. Additionally, ROOT is open-source and freely available, unlike some other proprietary data analysis software.

4. Is prior coding experience necessary to use ROOT?

While having some coding experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to use ROOT. The software has a user-friendly interface with point-and-click functionality, making it accessible to researchers with limited coding experience. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts can aid in utilizing more advanced features of ROOT.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning ROOT and applied PDE?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning ROOT and applied PDE. The official ROOT website offers tutorials, documentation, and forums for users to learn and ask questions. Additionally, there are various online courses and video tutorials available for both ROOT and applied PDE for those looking for a more structured learning experience.