Advice for 14-Year-Old Pursuing Physics After High School

• Thread starter Jake Minneman
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is 14 years old and has a strong interest in pursuing theoretical and experimental physics after high school. They have been reading books by physicists such as Michio Kaku and Stephen Hawking and plan to continue over the summer. They are also considering studying calculus and have received advice to brush up on trigonometry and proofs before starting. They are also warned that pop physics books may give a false image of physics and that it is important to have a solid foundation in math before finding physics interesting. They are also advised to have an interest in ordinary phenomena as it could be an indicator of a future in physics.
Jake Minneman
Hello,I am fairly interested in understanding aspects of the fields of theoretical of experimental physics, I plan to pursue this goal after high school. However I lack any diverse knowledge on the topics of college acceptance. I am currently 14 years old, but I feel Its never to early to start paving my path. I have been reading many books by theoretical physicists such as Michio Kaku and Stephen Hawking and plan to read many more over the summer. I most likely be taking calculus in two years and wish to learn the initials of this as well this summer.

Can anyone provide me with advice?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You might not have done enough algebra/trig to really study calculus. Don't be 'afraid' to study some trig/algebra if you need it. However, I think you should try to see if you can handle some basic calculus.

tl;dr -> study calculus.

Study mathematics, not physics. While is it important to understand the conceptual ideas, the more rigorous part of physics (imo) is the necessity to understand math, be able to read it, and have it mean something.

Thank you for your advice.

I would also suggest reading some trigonometry. And while you're at it, you may also find sphere trigonometry quite fun. Also, you might want to read a book on proofs, knowing these soon enough will be helpful.

I think you should not be taking calculus immediately. First you need a lot of experience before you can handle calculus. Brush up trigonometry and proofs (optional, but it makes your life easier), and then start calculus...

And it will also be necessary to say that the pop physics books you're reading really give a false image of physics. Real physics research is completely different. I don't say you should stop reading these, but you should be aware of it so that you don't get misconceptions about physics. It is very likely that you will find physics an math boring at first. You'll need some knowledge before it even starts to be remotely interesting...

micromass said:
I would also suggest reading some trigonometry. And while you're at it, you may also find sphere trigonometry quite fun. Also, you might want to read a book on proofs, knowing these soon enough will be helpful.

I think you should not be taking calculus immediately. First you need a lot of experience before you can handle calculus. Brush up trigonometry and proofs (optional, but it makes your life easier), and then start calculus...

And it will also be necessary to say that the pop physics books you're reading really give a false image of physics. Real physics research is completely different. I don't say you should stop reading these, but you should be aware of it so that you don't get misconceptions about physics. It is very likely that you will find physics an math boring at first. You'll need some knowledge before it even starts to be remotely interesting...

Thank you, I will will most likely look up the trig functions of spheres. I only posted calculus because I will most likely skip trig for pre calculus in two years.

If your precalculus is anything like my sister's and mine, it'll include trigonometry without all the unnecessary nonsense.

General_Sax said:
You might not have done enough algebra/trig to really study calculus. Don't be 'afraid' to study some trig/algebra if you need it. However, I think you should try to see if you can handle some basic calculus.

tl;dr -> study calculus.

By basic calculus do you mean derivatives and such because that is quite simple that's all I have been doing

You can probably tackle the applications of a derivative section if you'd like.

If you are interested in phenomena right around you like the cream swirling in a cup of coffee or the corners of paper curling in humid weather, you could be an experimentalist. But if you read about the life of Richard Feynmann, you see that he was also interested in the world immediately around him. For example, he learned to repair radios when he was a kid. I think that having interest in ordinary phenomena is a good indicator of whether you have a future in physics.

i am very interested in physical phenomena, Thank you for the website.

Related to Advice for 14-Year-Old Pursuing Physics After High School

1. How can I prepare myself for pursuing physics after high school?

To prepare for pursuing physics after high school, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science. Take advanced math and science courses in high school, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. It is also helpful to participate in science and math clubs, attend summer programs or camps related to physics, and read books and articles about physics. Additionally, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills will be beneficial in pursuing physics.

2. What are the benefits of studying physics after high school?

Studying physics after high school can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, medicine, and technology. It also helps in developing analytical and problem-solving skills, which can be applied in various aspects of life. In addition, studying physics can open doors to understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, making it a fascinating and intellectually stimulating subject.

3. What are the challenges of pursuing physics after high school?

Pursuing physics after high school can be challenging due to the heavy emphasis on math and theoretical concepts. It requires a lot of dedication, hard work, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, the coursework can be demanding and time-consuming, and there may be a steep learning curve for some students. However, with determination and perseverance, these challenges can be overcome.

4. What are some recommended resources for studying physics after high school?

There are many resources available for studying physics after high school. Some recommended resources include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and quizzes, and study groups or tutoring sessions. Additionally, attending lectures and seminars at universities or joining physics-related clubs or organizations can also be helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. What can I do with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, technology, finance, and education. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in areas such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and biophysics. Some specific job roles that a physics degree can prepare you for include physicist, engineer, data analyst, science teacher, and medical physicist.