Adiabatic condition and equation of state

In summary, the problem involves 8.02 × 10−1 moles of nitrogen gas (γ= 1.40) being adiabatically compressed to half its original volume. The change in entropy is zero due to the reversible adiabatic process. The final temperature of the gas can be determined using the equation PVγ = constant, by substituting P=nRT/V into the adiabatic condition, which gives TVγ-1 = constant. This leads to the final temperature being equal to the initial temperature of 300 K. Both methods give the same correct solution.
LivvyS

Homework Statement

8.02 × 10−1 moles of nitrogen gas ( γ= 1.40) is contained in a volume of 2.00 × 10−2 m3 at a pressure of 1.00 × 105 Pa and temperature of 300 K. The sample is adiabatically compressed to half its original volume. IT behaves as an ideal gas.

(i) What is the change in entropy of the gas?

(ii) Show from the adiabatic condition and the equation of state that TV γ-1
remains constant, and hence determine the final temperature of the gas

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
PVγ = A (constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

For I, I think that because the compression is a reversible adiabatic process there will be no entropy change.

It is ii, that I am stuck on. I think that the equation of state will need to be rearranged to give P=nRT / V and that this will need to be substituted into the adiabatic condition to give (nRT Vγ) / V = constant which feels close but I cannot think of the last step.

Or is it better to start with PVγ = constant
PVVγ-1 = constant
nRT *Vγ-1 = constant and ignore n and R seeing as they themselves are constants? giving TVγ-1 = constant
(I am not sure whether n and R can just be ignored or whether this method is even correct or valid).

or some other way entirely, any insight would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both methods are correct, and give the correct result. In the first method, Vγ/V=Vγ-1

Chet

I think the answer might be along the lines:
PV=nRT
for adiabatic process PVgamma= A
V=nRT/P
so fitting this into the equation:
P(nRT/P)gamma

then you get TgammaP1-gamma=A/(nR)gamma

Use the same principle to substitute P=nRT/V into the adiabatic condition
hope that helps

Sorry about the subscripts, my first post and new to forums. But since I always check here for help, is only fitting that I help when I can

Astoreth said:
I think the answer might be along the lines:
PV=nRT
for adiabatic process PVgamma= A
V=nRT/P
so fitting this into the equation:
P(nRT/P)gamma

then you get TgammaP1-gamma=A/(nR)gamma

Use the same principle to substitute P=nRT/V into the adiabatic condition
hope that helps

Sorry about the subscripts, my first post and new to forums. But since I always check here for help, is only fitting that I help when I can
Hi Astoreth. Welcome to Physics Forums.

It looks like LivvyS had already solved the problem correctly in post #1. Do you feel that there was a problem with what he/she did?

Chet

Hello:

sorry about that. No, the answer was not incorrect, but given this:

LivvyS said:
which feels close but I cannot think of the last step.
I thought I'd help.

I am sorry if I overstepped. I was only trying to help

Also, i didn't noticed that it was marked as resolved.

Again, am sorry

Astoreth said:
Hello:

sorry about that. No, the answer was not incorrect, but given this:I thought I'd help.

I am sorry if I overstepped. I was only trying to help

Also, i didn't noticed that it was marked as resolved.

Again, am sorry
No need to apologize. As you said, you were just trying to help.

The OP used one method to solve it in post #1, and got it correct. And he tried another method to solve it, but couldn't complete the final step. In post #2, I pointed out how to complete the final step, which, when applied, leads to the same correct solution.

Again, Welcome to Physics Forums. It's great to have you in our community.

Chet

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks, Chet :)
Is good to be here

All help much appreciated, thanks guys!

Related to Adiabatic condition and equation of state

1. What is the adiabatic condition?

The adiabatic condition refers to a thermodynamic process in which there is no heat exchange between a system and its surroundings. This means that the system is completely isolated and no energy is transferred in the form of heat.

2. How is the adiabatic condition related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer, so any change in the system's internal energy must be due to work done on or by the system.

3. What is the equation of state?

The equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a thermodynamic system, specifically how the system's pressure, volume, and temperature are related. It is typically written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

4. How does the adiabatic condition affect the equation of state?

The adiabatic condition affects the equation of state by eliminating the heat term (Q) from the equation. This results in a different relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature, known as the adiabatic equation of state. For an ideal gas, this equation is PVγ = constant, where γ is the ratio of specific heats.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some common examples of adiabatic processes include the compression or expansion of gases in a piston, the flow of air in a jet engine, and the compression and rarefaction of air in sound waves. These processes all occur without any heat exchange, making them adiabatic.