Adding Radius of Gyration values?

In summary, Chris was trying to calculate the radius of gyration of his tire and wheel separately, but the results left him with a value that was outside the radius of the tire.
Nugget12
Hi There
I am doing a little test program for some tire testing and just need to make sure I am doing something right, I am calculating the radius of gyration of my tire and wheel separately using the formulas from Dunlop http://www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/tech_support/dunlop-engineering-data.aspx So I have a value of k for the tire and wheel, do I just add those two together to get the combined radius? I do that currently but it leaves me with a value of k that is outside the radius of the tyre, ie for a tire whose diameter is 0.36m I get a k value for the rim of 0.201 and for the tire of 0.239 so combined it comes to 0.44 which feels wrong to me. Can anyone see where I am going wrong?
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Nugget12 said:
Hi Ther
I am doing a little test program for some tire testing and just need to make sure I am doing something right, I am calculating the radius of gyration of my tire and wheel separately using the formulas from Dunlop http://www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/tech_support/dunlop-engineering-data.aspx So I have a value of k for the tire and wheel, do I just add those two together to get the combined radius? I do that currently but it leaves me with a value of k that is outside the radius of the tyre, ie for a tire whose diameter is 0.36m I get a k value for the rim of 0.201 and for the tire of 0.239 so combined it comes to 0.44 which feels wrong to me. Can anyone see where I am going wrong?
Chris
The gyradius r is based on the mass of a rotating object and its moment of inertia about the axis of rotation, such that:

r2 = I / M

where

I - moment of inertia
M - mass of the object

Your tire and wheel probably have two different masses, so the proper calculation would be to convert the gyradius of each component to a moment of inertia, using the correct masses, add the moments together, and then calculate the gyradius of the combined assembly, like so:

Itire = Mtire*rtire2
Iwheel = Mwheel*rwheel2

Itotal = Itire + Iwheel

Mtotal = Mtire + Mwheel

rtotal = (Itotal / Mtotal)1/2

Many thanks for the quick reply, that looks more sensible, will give that a try. Thanks.

Related to Adding Radius of Gyration values?

1. What is the definition of radius of gyration?

The radius of gyration is a measure of an object's distribution of mass around an axis. It is the distance from the axis at which all of an object's mass could be concentrated to produce the same moment of inertia as the object has with its actual distribution of mass.

2. How is the radius of gyration calculated?

The radius of gyration is calculated by dividing the moment of inertia of an object by its total mass. Mathematically, it can be expressed as: R = √(I/m), where R is the radius of gyration, I is the moment of inertia, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What is the significance of radius of gyration in science?

The radius of gyration is an important concept in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It helps in understanding an object's rotational motion, stability, and strength. It is also used in the design and analysis of structures, such as buildings and bridges, to ensure their stability and safety.

4. How does adding radius of gyration values affect the analysis of a system?

Adding radius of gyration values allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of a system's rotational motion and stability. It helps in determining the distribution of mass and how it affects the system's moment of inertia. This information is crucial in predicting the behavior and performance of the system.

5. Can the radius of gyration be altered?

Yes, the radius of gyration can be altered by changing the distribution of mass within an object. For example, by moving weight towards or away from the axis of rotation, the radius of gyration can be increased or decreased. This can have significant effects on the object's rotational motion and stability.