Do I understand this correctly?

In summary, the parallel axis theorem is used to calculate the MOI about a different set of axes, while the radius of gyration gives a rough measure of the distribution of mass or area about an axis. Both are important concepts in understanding dynamics.
Hyburn

Homework Statement

the theory behind Parallel axis theorem

Homework Equations

parallel axis theorem:Io=Ig+md²
Radius of Gyration=Ig=m*K²

The Attempt at a Solution

ok folks If I understand this theory correctly the radius of gyration is the radius or distance from the axis of rotation to the center of the AREA

the parallel axis then takes this area into account and converts the equation to account for the area and the mass.

I am trying to teach myself dynamics before I pay for another course at college and bomb out because the professors don't explain anything...

is this a correct understanding? if not can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, not center of area, but center of mass

ill need help understanding this as well

-thanks

Last edited:
Hyburn said:

Homework Statement

the theory behind Parallel axis theorem

Homework Equations

parallel axis theorem:Io=Ig+md²
Radius of Gyration=Ig=m*K²

The Attempt at a Solution

ok folks If I understand this theory correctly the radius of gyration is the radius or distance from the axis of rotation to the center of the AREA

the parallel axis then takes this area into account and converts the equation to account for the area and the mass.

I am trying to teach myself dynamics before I pay for another course at college and bomb out because the professors don't explain anything...

is this a correct understanding? if not can you help me?

It often helps to know some definitions when trying to teach yourself a subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_gyration

Insofar as a connection between the gyradius and the parallel axis theorem, there is only an indirect one.

The PAT is used to calculate the MOI about a different set of axes, given an inertia value about an axis which is parallel. For example, when calculating the MOI of a composite area or mass, we usually want the MOI about the centroid of the combined area or mass. The PAT allows us to make this calculation, using the area or mass, the location of the centroid of each part, and the MOIs of the individual parts.

The gyradius, on the other hand, gives a rough measure of the distribution of mass or area about an axis. A larger gyradius implies that the area or mass is distribued further away from the axis. The gyradius would typically be calculated for a composite area or mass after its MOI about the centroid had been determined.

Related to Do I understand this correctly?

1. What is the purpose of asking "Do I understand this correctly?"

Asking "Do I understand this correctly?" is a common way for scientists to check their understanding of a concept or idea. It allows them to clarify any misunderstandings and ensure that they have a solid grasp on the information.

2. When should I ask "Do I understand this correctly?"

It is best to ask "Do I understand this correctly?" when you have just been introduced to a new concept or idea, or when you are unsure about your understanding of a particular topic. This allows you to correct any misunderstandings early on and avoid confusion later on.

3. How can I know if I understand something correctly?

One way to know if you understand something correctly is to try explaining it to someone else. If you are able to accurately and confidently explain the concept or idea to someone else, then you likely have a good understanding of it. You can also ask for feedback from peers or mentors to confirm your understanding.

4. Is it important to ask "Do I understand this correctly?"

Yes, it is important to ask "Do I understand this correctly?" as it helps to ensure that you have a strong understanding of the information being presented. It also shows that you are actively engaged in the learning process and are willing to clarify any misunderstandings.

5. How should I respond if I do not understand something correctly?

If you do not understand something correctly, it is important to ask for clarification. You can ask follow-up questions, do additional research, or seek help from peers or mentors. It is important to address any misunderstandings early on to prevent further confusion and ensure a solid understanding of the topic.