Add Two Voltages in Polar Form

In summary, the conversation revolved around adding and converting two voltages, with a focus on getting the result in polar form and carrying out division using polar form. The use of phasors and complex numbers was also mentioned as a way to simplify the process.
James889
Hi,

I have two voltages given as v1(t) = 20cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t - 45)
and v2(t) = 10sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t + 60)

My task is to add them on the single form Vcos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\theta[/tex])

The first part is relativley easy:
The phasors are v1 = 20[tex]\angle[/tex]-45)
and v2 = 10[tex]\angle[/tex]-30)

so i have 20[tex]\angle[/tex]-45) + 10[tex]\angle[/tex]-30)
20cos(-45) = 14.14
20sin(-45) = -j14.14
10cos(-30) = 8.66
10sin(-30) = -j5

Add those up and you have 22.8 -j19.14

But how do i get this in polar form?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's relatively simple if you use your calculator directly. Otherwise, you could use this:

[tex]a+jb <=> \sqrt{a^2+b^2}e^{j\theta}[/tex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle in radians from positive x-axis to the line which connects the origin to that point (a,b) in the complex plane. In this case you can tell from the complex no. directly that the number lies in the 4th quadrant.

Or in this case you can use [tex]\theta = \tan^{-1} \frac{b}{a}[/tex].

Okay, thanks.

I have just one last question.

How would you carry out a division such as: (10[tex]\angle[/tex]-90)/(250+j250)

Convert both to polar form (one is already in that form). Then you can do it easily. In general, the a+jb form is good for adding and subtracting while polar form facilitates multiplication and division.

Related to Add Two Voltages in Polar Form

1. How do I add two voltages in polar form?

To add two voltages in polar form, you must first convert them to rectangular form. Then, you can simply add the real components and imaginary components separately. Finally, convert the result back to polar form if necessary.

2. What is the difference between polar and rectangular form of a voltage?

Polar form represents a voltage as a magnitude and angle, while rectangular form represents a voltage as a real and imaginary component. Both forms can be used to represent the same voltage, but they are used for different purposes.

3. Can I add more than two voltages in polar form?

Yes, you can add any number of voltages in polar form by first converting them to rectangular form and then adding the real and imaginary components together. The result can then be converted back to polar form if needed.

4. How do I convert a voltage from rectangular to polar form?

To convert a voltage from rectangular to polar form, you can use the formula V = √(Vr^2 + Vi^2) ∠ arctan(Vi/Vr), where V is the magnitude, Vr is the real component, and Vi is the imaginary component.

5. Can I add voltages in polar form with different angles?

Yes, you can add voltages in polar form with different angles. The angle of the result will be the sum of the angles of the individual voltages. However, it is important to note that the angles must be in the same units (radians or degrees) for accurate addition.