Express current in time and frequency domain (capacitor)

In summary: And, in phasor notation you can write the time-domain function as:i(t) = 4.524 sin(ωt + 150°) mAori(t) = 4.524 cos(ωt + 150° - 90°) mAThen your phasor expression is (4.524 mA) ∠ 60°.Just for grins, if you have access to a calculator that can handle complex numbers, you can express the sine function in terms of exponentials. For example: sin(ωt + 150°) = sin(ωt)cos(150°) + cos(ωt)sin(150°) = sin(ω
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Calculate the current in the capacitor shown if the voltage input is

a. v1(t) = 10cos(377t - 30°)V
b. v2(t) = 12sin(377t + 60°)V

Give answers in both time and frequency domain.

Homework Equations

I = dQ/dt = C * dV/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I = dQ/dt = C * dV/dt

I = 1ρF * (d/dt)(10 * cos(377t - 30°)v

Took derivative:

I(t) = 1μF * (-3770 * sin(377t - 30°)

I(t) = (-3.77 x 10-3)(sin(377t - 30°))A

If the above is correct, where can I start with converting this to frequency domain though? I know it's supposed to be something like in form e^t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done so far is fine. You've got the current expressed as a sine function, while the starting point was a voltage expressed as a cosine function. You may find that, sometimes, it is desirable to express the result using the same trig function as you began with (i.e., then both current and voltage time domain functions use the same trig function).

For the frequency domain you'll be working with phasors. Have you covered them?

So ω = 377 and the phasor current for that looks to be

I = (-3.77 x 10-3)∠-30° ? Would that be it?

Color_of_Cyan said:
So ω = 377 and the phasor current for that looks to be

I = (-3.77 x 10-3)∠-30° ? Would that be it?

Sure. But usually the magnitude of a phasor is a positive value. You can normalize the phasor by folding the negation into the angle.

And, if you want to place the current phasor on the same reference axes as the voltage phasor (so that the "PHASE" part of phasor is actually useful), you should first convert the current's sine to cosine so the trig function matches that of the driving voltage. Then the phase angles will be referenced to the same starting point.

So, the steps are:

i(t) = -3.77 sin(ωt - 30°) mA
i(t) = 3.77 sin(ωt - 30° + 180°) mA
i(t) = 3.77 cos(ωt - 30° + 180° - 90°) mA

So:

i(t) = 3.77 cos(ωt + 60°) mA

and your phasor is 3.77 mA ∠60

I see that for part (b) the trig function in the time-domain voltage is sine, so you'll want to manipulate the current's expression to be likewise.

Personally I find it easier to employ complex numbers to work with phasors and impedance in the frequency domain. Then essentially all the angle offsets are handled automatically by the complex arithmetic :wink:

Likes 1 person
So is the second current:

I = (4.524 x 10-3)(sin(377t + 150°)A ?

Then the phasor

I = 4.524 mA ∠ 150° ?

Looks good!

Likes 1 person

Related to Express current in time and frequency domain (capacitor)

1. What is the purpose of expressing current in time and frequency domain for a capacitor?

Expressing current in time and frequency domain for a capacitor allows us to analyze its behavior and characteristics in both the time and frequency domains. This is important for understanding how the capacitor responds to different signals and for designing circuits that utilize capacitors.

2. How is current expressed in the time domain for a capacitor?

In the time domain, current is expressed as a function of time. This means that we plot the current values at different points in time to see how it changes over time. For a capacitor, the current is directly proportional to the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor (i = C * dV/dt).

3. What is the advantage of expressing current in the frequency domain for a capacitor?

In the frequency domain, current is expressed as a function of frequency. This allows us to analyze the behavior of the capacitor at different frequencies, which is important for understanding its response to AC signals. It also allows us to easily compare the behavior of different capacitors at different frequencies.

4. How is current expressed in the frequency domain for a capacitor?

In the frequency domain, current is expressed using complex numbers. This allows us to represent both the magnitude and phase of the current at different frequencies. The magnitude represents the amplitude of the current and the phase represents the time delay between the current and voltage signals.

5. What information can we gather from expressing current in both the time and frequency domains for a capacitor?

By expressing current in both the time and frequency domains, we can gather important information about the behavior and characteristics of the capacitor. In the time domain, we can see how the current changes over time and how it is affected by changes in voltage. In the frequency domain, we can see how the current responds to different frequencies and the overall frequency response of the capacitor. This information is crucial for understanding and designing circuits that use capacitors.