Academic Redemption: Bouncing Back After a Year Off Track

theconfusedphysicist
Hello everyone,

I'd like to share with you my current situation and my desire to redeem myself after a year off track due to a lack of interest in physics. I am aware of my past mistakes, but now I am determined to recover and dedicate myself seriously to my studies.

Last year, I struggled with the subject and saw my academic performance slip due to a lack of motivation and interest in physics. However, today I am here to announce my commitment to make amends. I have reflected deeply on my situation and realized that passion and dedication can make all the difference.

Initially, during my first year of undergraduate studies, I had started off strong with high grades. However, as time went on, I gradually lost interest and found myself struggling to maintain my academic performance. This lack of interest led to my year off track. Nevertheless, I am determined to learn from my mistakes and regain my momentum.

I am about to start my master's degree in statistical physics/complex systems, and I am determined to approach it with renewed focus and dedication. As part of my journey to redemption, I am considering the possibility of publishing some articles during my master's studies. However, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on topics to explore, considering my field of study.

How can one be taken seriously for publishing research? What steps should be taken to increase the chances of being considered for some publication opportunities?

Given that I will be focusing on statistical physics and complex systems, what topics do you recommend for publishing articles during my master's degree? I'm very interested in biophysics, but any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I would appreciate advice on how to mitigate the impact of that lost year on my future resume. How can I compensate for my mistakes and demonstrate my commitment and determination to overcome this challenge?

Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to change the past. You should be focusing on going forward and not stressing about the past. Especially as you are already in a graduate program.

As far as publishing, the first step is to have something to say. You need to get involved in an active research group.

Likes gwnorth
Vanadium 50 said:
It is difficult to change the past. You should be focusing on going forward and not stressing about the past. Especially as you are already in a graduate program.

As far as publishing, the first step is to have something to say. You need to get involved in an active research group.
Thank you for responding.

I was thinking of thoroughly studying the research of some of my professors and then finding complementary insights from there. Afterwards, I plan to reach out via email to express my intentions.

Do you think this approach could work?

How can I determine if my research has value or if it's just useless clutter?

So you lost interest in physics and now you're determined to get back on track.

Perhaps the first step should include a hard look at what caused you to lose interest in the first place. Sheer force of will doesn't often overcome a problem when the root cause isn't addressed. Some of the more common root cause culprits for a lack of interest include: burnout/taking on too much, a lack of proper self care, discovery of other interests, learning that physics is not what you thought it would be, and discovering that while you're better at physics than most of the general population in high school you're a lot closer to average among physics undergraduates.

One thing that can help rekindle your passion is making the time to read up on your own interests and pursue your own projects. Sometimes as an undergraduate you can get so bogged down with homework, labs, quizzes, exams, etc. that you end up working almost constantly on stuff you *have* to do and sacrificing any opportunity to work on stuff you *want* to do - to the point where when you do have the chance to do something you'd otherwise want to, you're burned out. Solving this comes down to workload management in my experience. You need to make time for your own reading.

As for research opportunities... this is where you need mentorship. If you're in a thesis-based master's program, you'll end up with a supervisor who will guide you on this because it works like a smaller version of a PhD. If so, take the opportunity to explore as many different supervisors and projects as possible. Aim to find a project you're passionate about and a supervisor whose mentorship style jives with your learning style. If you're in a course-based MSc, getting involved in research can be more challenging because you'll already be bogged down with coursework. But even then, the process is similar... find a mentor who has a project.

Learning to identify the value of research is something that comes with experience. Ideally, you're not working simply toward the goal of publication, but toward the goal of solving a real problem. Having a mentor (or team of mentors) to guide you will give you an experience base to draw on, so that you can identify which problems are of value to the scientific community, and which tools are most likely to lead to solutions.

Likes Vanadium 50 and gwnorth
Choppy said:
So you lost interest in physics and now you're determined to get back on track.

Perhaps the first step should include a hard look at what caused you to lose interest in the first place. Sheer force of will doesn't often overcome a problem when the root cause isn't addressed. Some of the more common root cause culprits for a lack of interest include: burnout/taking on too much, a lack of proper self care, discovery of other interests, learning that physics is not what you thought it would be, and discovering that while you're better at physics than most of the general population in high school you're a lot closer to average among physics undergraduates.

One thing that can help rekindle your passion is making the time to read up on your own interests and pursue your own projects. Sometimes as an undergraduate you can get so bogged down with homework, labs, quizzes, exams, etc. that you end up working almost constantly on stuff you *have* to do and sacrificing any opportunity to work on stuff you *want* to do - to the point where when you do have the chance to do something you'd otherwise want to, you're burned out. Solving this comes down to workload management in my experience. You need to make time for your own reading.

As for research opportunities... this is where you need mentorship. If you're in a thesis-based master's program, you'll end up with a supervisor who will guide you on this because it works like a smaller version of a PhD. If so, take the opportunity to explore as many different supervisors and projects as possible. Aim to find a project you're passionate about and a supervisor whose mentorship style jives with your learning style. If you're in a course-based MSc, getting involved in research can be more challenging because you'll already be bogged down with coursework. But even then, the process is similar... find a mentor who has a project.

Learning to identify the value of research is something that comes with experience. Ideally, you're not working simply toward the goal of publication, but toward the goal of solving a real problem. Having a mentor (or team of mentors) to guide you will give you an experience base to draw on, so that you can identify which problems are of value to the scientific community, and which tools are most likely to lead to solutions.
Thanks for your reply!

It seems like the master's program is well-organized. So, the first year and the first half of the second year are devoted to coursework and exams, while the second half of the second year is for the thesis.

Do you recommend concentrating on coursework during the first year and leaving research for the second year?

Do you think this gap year will significantly penalize me academically/professionally in terms of perceived seriousness and competence?

theconfusedphysicist said:
I plan to reach out via email to express my intentions.
Face to face is better.

How can I determine if my research has value or if it's just useless clutter?
That's what your advisor is for.

And sometimes it just happens. I have a paper in PRD that's 15 years old. One cite. It could have been important...but it wasn't.

Vanadium 50 said:
Face to face is better.

That's what your advisor is for.

And sometimes it just happens. I have a paper in PRD that's 15 years old. One cite. It could have been important...but it wasn't.
Thanks, understood.

As asked earlier, do you think it's best for me to focus on studying courses and exams during the first year of the master's program and leaving research for the second year?

Another question, do you believe this gap year will result in academic, professional, and perceived seriousness and competence repercussions?

Initially, during my first year of undergraduate studies, I had started off strong with high grades. However, as time went on, I gradually lost interest and found myself struggling to maintain my academic performance. This lack of interest led to my year off track.
And now you are beginning a Master's program. I am confused as to the rate of decay of your interest over your undergraduate years....or do I misunderstand? Was there only one year off-track or three? What has changed to rekindle the fire?
I have reflected deeply on my situation and realized that passion and dedication can make all the difference.
Surely this is not a great revelation? I wonder how one "conjures up" passion and dedication. But best of luck.

gap year
What gap year? You are in a program, aren't you?

And as for what you should be doing, you should be listening to your advisor.

hutchphd said:
And now you are beginning a Master's program. I am confused as to the rate of decay of your interest over your undergraduate years....or do I misunderstand? Was there only one year off-track or three? What has changed to rekindle the fire?

Surely this is not a great revelation? I wonder how one "conjures up" passion and dedication. But best of luck.

Let me explain it better:

A few years ago, I started a bachelor's degree in physics (in my country, it lasts for three years).

The first year (analysis, calculus, linear algebra, mechanics, relativity, thermodynamics, statistics, optics) went very well.

The first half of the second year also well, but from there onwards, I lost focus due to reasons unrelated to physics itself.

In the third year, I started performing very poorly due to lack of motivation (I only passed one exam) and fell behind on all the other exams, which I am now catching up on.

I'm taking four years to complete a three-year bachelor's degree.

This is the "gap year" or the "year off track".

The master's program starts at the end of this year.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and hutchphd
I'm taking four years to complete a three-year bachelor's degree.

This is the "gap year" or the "year off track".

The master's program starts at the end of this year.
Well, if you've been accepted to a master's program, your "gap year" or "year off track" didn't hurt you, correct? So what is your concern?

CrysPhys said:
Well, if you've been accepted to a master's program, your "gap year" or "year off track" didn't hurt you, correct? So what is your concern?
Yes, but if I hadn't lost a year (year off track), the total path for the bachelor's + master's degree would have been 5 years.

Instead, it's 6 years now.

Could it have repercussions on the CV? Also for a possible admission to a PhD program?

Taking an additional year for schooling is not going to have any repercussions in an of itself. There is of course the added financial cost and, as I mentioned before, anything deriving from the root cause of taking that extra year. But lots of people extend their studies for very legitimate reasons... illness, care of dependents, death in the family, pregnancy/parental leave, pandemic-related reasons... etc. While some admission committee members may take note of an extra year, the fact that someone takes N+1 years to finish what is more typically an N year program is unlikely to introduce a significant handicap.

Do you recommend concentrating on coursework during the first year and leaving research for the second year?
This depends on the program. Once you're there, speak with your professors and potential thesis project advisors. If the department has an academic advisor, talk to that person as well. See what they think, as they will be more familiar with the details of your program.

Generally speaking, focus on the course work while you're doing that. You don't want to sacrifice grades or understanding of the core material. But if you can identify a project early, you can climb the learning curve so that when it does come time to focus on it, you're ready and can be productive.

Yes, but if I hadn't lost a year (year off track), the total path for the bachelor's + master's degree would have been 5 years.

Instead, it's 6 years now.

Could it have repercussions on the CV? Also for a possible admission to a PhD program?
The major repercussion would have been on your potential admission to a master's program. But that's past and done (if I understand you correctly, you have been accepted). So concentrate on a stellar performance in your master's program; that will have the most impact on potential admission to a PhD program (I'm assuming you're in a country in which a master's is required for admission to a PhD program; is that correct?).

Okay guys, thank you for responding.

Yes, I'm in a country where a master's degree is required for a PhD, and I was thinking that taking an extra year would be considered unfavorably by PhD admission evaluators or potential employers.

Additionally, I read that admissions to the PhD program heavily rely on the number of publications made during the years of the master's (aside from the thesis), which is why I asked you about this.

Stop dwelling on the lost year in the past. Your path to redemption is a stellar master's program in the future.

Likes Vanadium 50
The past is past. That's why we call it "past".

You have gotten the same advice - look forward, not back - from multiple people in multiple posts. No, you don't have to take this advice, but it is unlikely to change.

Additionally, I read that admissions to the PhD program heavily rely on the number of publications made during the years of the master's (aside from the thesis), which is why I asked you about this.
I think this is a common misconception (although to be fair, I don't know what country we're talking about).

But where the common route through academia includes a 2 year MSc, where 1.5 of those years are coursework, the expectation that any significant publication is going to come out of a half year of work is unreasonable. When students do get publications in such cases, it's usually because they happen to join a group/project where most of the background work has already been done and they just make a contribution that the PI feels is worthy of inclusion in the authorship.

That's not to say publications are ignored. But generally speaking, PhD admissions committees tend to look more closely at the details in letters of reference that outline a student's contributions to a research project, rather than simply tally up the number of publications.

Okay guys, thank you for responding.

Yes, I'm in a country where a master's degree is required for a PhD, and I was thinking that taking an extra year would be considered unfavorably by PhD admission evaluators or potential employers.

I find it doubtful that PhD programs or employers are going to be overly concerned that it took you an extra year to complete your bachelor's degree. You've already been admitted to a master's so it obviously wasn't a concern for them. Many students fumble during undergrad for a variety of reasons. Just learn from your mistakes in the past and focus on doing the best you can moving forward.

As for publications, while they can definitely help, I don't think they're a hard requirement for admission to a PhD, but of course that's going to be program/country specific. It's certainly not a requirement in the UK where master's degrees are typically only a year long and don't necessarily have a dissertation component. PhDs in continental Europe/Canada/Australia may, but you will need to research that for yourself. What mostly is required is research experience (the UK often also being an exception due to the structure of their bachelor's and master's degrees). As for the rest, once you're in your master's, how you performed in your bachelor's is going to be largely irrelevant for admission to PhD programs.

Best of luck.

@theconfusedphysicist . With regard to publications, consider strongly what @Choppy wrote:

Choppy said:
But where the common route through academia includes a 2 year MSc, where 1.5 of those years are coursework, the expectation that any significant publication is going to come out of a half year of work is unreasonable. When students do get publications in such cases, it's usually because they happen to join a group/project where most of the background work has already been done and they just make a contribution that the PI feels is worthy of inclusion in the authorship.

Note the actual schedule is even worse. Check the following: (a) For your future candidate PhD programs, when are the applications due in relation to your progress in your master's program? (b) Even assuming you jump in early in your master's research (which you seem anxious to do), how long will it take to complete the research, write a paper, submit it for publication, get it reviewed, revise it, and actually get it published? In time to list it on the applications for your PhD programs? And you want to be able to list multiple publications?

Thank you all for your responses, now I have a clearer understanding of the topic.

So, it seems to me that rushing to do research before the thesis doesn't make much sense (besides being impractical).

Therefore, I will focus on deeply studying the subjects and leave the research for the thesis.

Are there any other things you recommend I do during my master's for a "stellar path"?

For example, attending seminars or various talks? Can be useful?

Yes.
  • Attend as many seminars and talks as you can. This helps you to learn what other people are working on, what they've had success with, and will help you to develop a bigger picture of the physics community. You might even discover a branch of physics you were never even aware of.
    It can also help you to learn how to give a good talk.
  • For the same reasons try to attend conferences when possible.
  • Make friends with other graduate students and post-docs. These connections will be the first nodes in your own academic network. While some may not lead anywhere, others can lead to fruitful collaborations, and other opportunities (like jobs) down the road.
  • Pay things forward. Take the time to help students who come in after you when you can.
  • Take opportunities to present your work when they arise... conferences, department or faculty functions, undergraduate fairs, etc.
  • Take good care of yourself (eat healthy, sleep well, get exercise, socialize, incorporate healthy down time into your schedule, etc.) This will ensure that for those one off days were you really need to dig deep to get your assignments done, catch up on readings, deal with massive stress/anxiety etc. that you're operating at your own peak.

Likes theconfusedphysicist, gwnorth and hutchphd
Thank you for the advice