Absolute Extrema F(x,y) 0<x<π, 0<y<π

In summary: So we have sin(x+x+y) = sin(2x+y)In summary, when taking the partial derivatives of F(x,y)= sin(x)sin(y)sin(x+y) over the square 0< x< pi and 0< y< pi, using trigonometric identities can simplify the contents in the square brackets to 2cosxsinxcosy and 2cosxcosysiny respectively. This leads to the possible extrema points of x=0, pi/2, pi and y=0, pi/2, pi, with the values of F(x,y) at these points being equal to 0. However, using the trig identity sin(2x+y) = cosxsin
joemabloe

Homework Statement

F(x,y)= sin(x)sin(y)sin(x+y) over the square 0< x< pi and 0< y< pi(The values for x and y should be from 0 to pi INCLUSIVE)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

partial derivative in terms of x = siny[cosxsin(x+y)+sinxcos(x+y)]
you get y=0, pi because siny =0, but I don't know how to solve for the other solutionspartial derivative in terms of y = sinx[cosysin(x+y)+ sinycos(x+y)]
and you get x=0, pi because sinx=0

and then I have the same problem again

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a trig identity to simplify the contents in the square brackets.

I used the trig identities sin(x+y)= sinxcosy+cosxsiny and cos (x+y)= cosxcosy - sinxsiny

and with that, I get the equation the previous equation multiplied out which gives me
=cosxsinxcosy +cos^2(x)siny +sinxcosxcosy-sin^2(x)siny
=2cosxsinxcosy +(cos^2(x)+sin^2(x))(siny-siny)
=2cosxsinxcosy +(1)(0)= 2cosxsinxcosy
and I did the same process for the y derivative and got it to equal
= 2cosxcosysiny

that x=0,pi/2, pi and y = 0, pi/2, pi

then when I go to find the values of F(x,y) at the nine possible extrema points, the value of F(x,y) is equal to 0.

Because they all came out to 0, I doubt that they are actually the extrema and probably did something wrong in my solving.

anyone?

I meant you should go the other direction, e.g.,

cos x sin(x+y) + sin x cos(x+y) = sin(2x+y)

vela said:
I meant you should go the other direction, e.g.,

cos x sin(x+y) + sin x cos(x+y) = sin(2x+y)

what formula did you use to find sin(2x+y)?

cos a sin b + sin a cos b = sin(a+b) with a=x and b=x+y.

Related to Absolute Extrema F(x,y) 0<x<π, 0<y<π

1. What is the definition of absolute extrema?

The absolute extrema of a function is the maximum and minimum values of the function over a given interval or domain.

2. How do you find the absolute extrema of a function?

To find the absolute extrema of a function, you can first find the critical points by setting the partial derivatives equal to zero. Then, evaluate the function at these points as well as the boundary points of the domain to determine the absolute maximum and minimum.

3. What is the significance of the given interval in the function "F(x,y) 0

The given interval represents the domain of the function, which is limited to positive values of x and y between 0 and π. This helps to define the boundaries for finding the absolute extrema within this specific region.

4. Can a function have more than one absolute extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple absolute extrema within a given interval. This occurs when there are multiple critical points within the interval or when the boundary points also happen to be maximum or minimum points.

5. What does the notation "F(x,y)" represent in this context?

The notation "F(x,y)" represents a multivariable function with two independent variables, x and y. This means that the function's output, or dependent variable, is affected by both x and y values. In this case, the function is limited to a specific region within the x-y plane.