About writing and publishing a paper

In summary: Submit the paper to a journal that is run by a group of physicists who are more lax about the submission process and who may be more willing to consider your work. 4) Do not post the paper on the internet for anyone to see before submitting it to a journal. You risk having it stolen before it has a chance to be published.
alfredblase
Let's say I write a paper. It's my first paper after my (unpublished) dissertation and is written in my spare time at home.

I don't have any physics peers to show the paper too, apart from those at PF, however I am naturally worried about copyright stuff. It would be great to get it read by some knowledgeable, less strict, peeps on PF before sending it off to some hardcore journal (feedback and all that).

What would you suggest so that my ideas and hard work don't get used by someone else before my work is published and thus protected from plagiarism? Are the archives the place to put the paper up? I mean do the archives provide copyright protection? How does one submit to the archives?

Once the paper is in a form which I feel is satisfactory for submitting to a journal, generally speaking what do I have to do?

Many thanks in advance for any posts =)

EDIT: specifically a physics paper

Alf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mail a copy to yourself by certified mail. Leave it sealed in the package, the date on it confirms when you had the ideas layed out on the paper in the package.

franznietzsche said:
Mail a copy to yourself by certified mail. Leave it sealed in the package, the date on it confirms when you had the ideas layed out on the paper in the package.

Would that really be enough to stop anyone from stealing the idea?

Nothing000 said:
Would that really be enough to stop anyone from stealing the idea?

No, but nothing you can do, short of never telling anyone will do that.

Doing that however, will constitute proof that it was your idea.

That said, I think these concerns in a scientific setting are petty.

You mean there are stealers also as members of the journal commitee ?

---

Also, alfred how do you know that your idea is new enough to be in a journal ? I think ideas or theorems without experiments to prove will not be accepted. I am not sure anyway.

Emieno said:

That would be idiotic on the part of a referee when several referee's all read the same paper.

That said, I think these concerns in a scientific setting are petty
you're probably right about that but I doubt any professional would be happy about someone else taking credit for their work... careers are important.

I certainly wouldn't be worried abnout that, however I would be worried about posting a draft of my paper on PF. On the other hand it would be very beneficial in terms of feedback.

Also, alfred how do you know that your idea is new enough to be in a journal ? I think ideas or theorems without experiments to prove will not be accepted. I am not sure anyway.
why do you assume my ideas are unprovable? I am a qualified, trained physicist =) So far all my paper is doing is proposing an experiment which wouldl solve the "measurement problem" and determine the "collapse condition" in orthodox QM. I believe my arguments are sound and that the experiment is a valid one. Regardless of all this, for the sake of providing an answer to my OP one should assume that the paper has some merit.

That would be idiotic on the part of a referee when several referee's all read the same paper.
I agree.

Basically my post was asking 4 questions:

What is the best way to get feedback on a physics paper one is writing while minimising the risk of someone stealing your ideas? (considering I don't have any physics contacts other than PF).

Do the archives count as a form of copyright protection? (http://xxx.lanl.gov/)

If so what is the procedure to get one's paper published in the archives?

Once my paper is in a satisfactory draft what is the general procedure to be followed in order to publish it in a journal?

Answers to any of these questions would be much appreciated.

Alf

Last edited:
alfredblase said:
Basically my post was asking 4 questions:

What is the best way to get feedback on a physics paper one is writing while minimising the risk of someone stealing your ideas? (considering I don't have any physics contacts other than PF).
Only crackpots, and those already accepted as authorities in the field, worry about others stealing their new ideas!

1) Test out the ideas in the paper by posting them individually as questions on PF and weigh up the qualifications of those who respond with constructive criticism. Or...
2) Find a suitable journal and simply submit it for publication following all that journal's "Instructions for Authors". Then wait for about a year until it is returned with the referees' comments and criticisms and learn from them. If that journal has given it an outright rejection, as opposed to a conditional agreement to publish if rewritten, rewrite your paper taking their criticisms into account and then resubmit to another appropiate journal.
Do the archives count as a form of copyright protection? (http://xxx.lanl.gov/)
Yes, they are all dated, and archived for future referral
If so what is the procedure to get one's paper published in the archives?
Having ascertained which arXiv it is most suitable you will need to register and find an endorser for your paper, see e-Print Archive Help.
Once my paper is in a satisfactory draft what is the general procedure to be followed in order to publish it in a journal?
As with 2) above. Take particular care of the "Instructions for Authors" and make sure the journal has declared itself interested in publishing your sort of paper.
Answers to any of these questions would be much appreciated.
Alf
You are welcome Alf. Best of luck!:smile:

Garth

Last edited:
alfredblase said:
Let's say I write a paper. It's my first paper after my (unpublished) dissertation and is written in my spare time at home.

I don't have any physics peers to show the paper too, apart from those at PF, however I am naturally worried about copyright stuff. It would be great to get it read by some knowledgeable, less strict, peeps on PF before sending it off to some hardcore journal (feedback and all that).

What would you suggest so that my ideas and hard work don't get used by someone else before my work is published and thus protected from plagiarism? Are the archives the place to put the paper up? I mean do the archives provide copyright protection? How does one submit to the archives?

Once the paper is in a form which I feel is satisfactory for submitting to a journal, generally speaking what do I have to do?

Many thanks in advance for any posts =)

EDIT: specifically a physics paper

Alf

I guess no one actually read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=897062&postcount=111

Zz.

Related to About writing and publishing a paper

1. What is the process for writing and publishing a paper?

The process for writing and publishing a paper typically involves the following steps:

• 1. Planning and outlining: This involves selecting a topic, conducting research, and creating an outline for your paper.
  • 2. Writing the paper: Start by writing the introduction, followed by the body, and then the conclusion. Make sure to include relevant data, evidence, and references to support your arguments.
  • 3. Editing and revising: Once you have a draft, go through it and make necessary edits and revisions to improve the clarity and coherence of your paper.
  • 4. Formatting and referencing: Follow the specific guidelines for formatting and referencing required by the journal or publication you are submitting to.
  • 5. Submission and review: Submit your paper to the chosen journal or publication and wait for the peer review process to be completed. Make any necessary revisions based on the feedback given by the reviewers.

2. How do I choose a suitable journal or publication for my paper?

When choosing a journal or publication for your paper, consider the following factors:

• 1. Relevance: Make sure the journal or publication is relevant to your research topic and aligns with the scope of your paper.
  • 2. Impact factor: Look for journals with a high impact factor, as this indicates the influence and visibility of the journal within the scientific community.
  • 3. Audience: Consider the target audience of the journal or publication and whether your paper would be of interest to them.
  • 4. Submission guidelines: Make sure to carefully read and follow the submission guidelines of the journal, including formatting and referencing requirements.
  • 5. Open access options: If you want your paper to be accessible to a wider audience, consider choosing a journal with open access options.

3. What is the peer review process and why is it important?

The peer review process involves experts in the same field as your paper's topic evaluating and providing feedback on the quality, relevance, and validity of your research. This process is crucial as it helps to ensure the accuracy and credibility of scientific publications by identifying any potential flaws or biases in the research. It also helps to maintain the quality and standards of the journal or publication.

4. How long does it take to publish a paper?

The time it takes to publish a paper can vary depending on factors such as the length and complexity of your research, the journal's review process, and the number of revisions required. On average, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more for a paper to be published.

5. Can I publish the same paper in multiple journals?

No, it is not acceptable to publish the same paper in multiple journals. This is known as duplicate publication and is considered unethical and a form of plagiarism. It is important to only submit your paper to one journal at a time and wait for the review process to be completed before submitting it to another journal.