Find the area between three curves

In summary: First, you should have inserted the parentheses to show that you are doing an indefinite integral: ((4-x)-(2-3x))dx.
MissEuropa

Homework Statement

Sketch the region enclosed by the curves and compute its area as an integral along the x or y axis.
y+x=4 y-x=0 y+3x=2

Homework Equations

top function - bottom function dx OR right function-left function dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally had chosed to integrate with respect to y, I solved all equations for y as follows:
y=4-x y=x y=2-3x

I set all equations equal to each other to find three intersection x values: These are
x=2, x=-2, and x=1/2

This makes since considering the way I sketched the graph: see attachment.

photo (18).jpg
Now the Area is shaded in orange and labeled A: to set up the integral I did:
1/2
(4-x)-(2-3x) dx = 2x+x2 evaluated from -2 to 1/2

My answer to this integral was (5/4)

Then I took this integral:
(4-x)-(x) = 4x-x2 evaluated from 1/2 to 2
1/2

My answer to this integral was (7/4)

It was olvious to me at this point that something went wrong because (5/4)-(7/4)=-(1/2) and areas cannot be negative.

This is the first time I've attempted to find the area between three curves. I am not sure how to arrange the integrals and which one is considered "top" or "bottom" because the graph that I drew shows the lower functions switching, which I tried to reflect in my calculations.

I'm really working hard to wrap my head around this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MissEuropa said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the region enclosed by the curves and compute its area as an integral along the x or y axis.
y+x=4 y-x=0 y+3x=2

Homework Equations

top function - bottom function dx OR right function-left function dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally had chosed to integrate with respect to y, I solved all equations for y as follows:
y=4-x y=x y=2-3x

I set all equations equal to each other to find three intersection x values: These are
x=2, x=-2, and x=1/2
The lines y=4-x , and y=2-3x intersect at x = -1 not at x = -2.

By the way, the lines y=4-x, and y=x are perpendicular to each other, so it's easy to check the answer.

Thanks, I wouldn't of caught that.
So I've edited my limits of integration:
1/2
((4-x)-(2-3x)) = 4.25

((4-x)-(x))= (7/4)
1/2

4.25-(7/4) = 2.5

Alas, I am still incorrect. Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks again.

MissEuropa said:
Thanks, I wouldn't of caught that.
So I've edited my limits of integration:
1/2
((4-x)-(2-3x))dx = 4.25

((4-x)-(x))dx= (7/4)
1/2

4.25-(7/4) = 2.5

Alas, I am still incorrect. Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks again.

Be careful with your signs !

You integrations are correct in the previous post.

You are messing up when plugging in the limits of integration.

Related to Find the area between three curves

1. What is the purpose of finding the area between three curves?

The purpose of finding the area between three curves is to calculate the total area enclosed by three intersecting curves on a graph. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as determining the volume of a solid with curved sides or calculating the work done by a varying force.

2. How do you find the area between three curves?

To find the area between three curves, you will need to first graph the three curves on the same coordinate plane. Then, identify the points where the curves intersect and create three separate integrals for each section of the enclosed area. Solve each integral and add the results together to find the total area between the three curves.

3. What are some common techniques for solving problems involving the area between three curves?

Some common techniques for solving problems involving the area between three curves include using the method of integration, using the midpoint rule to approximate the area, and using the disk or washer method for finding the volume of a solid with curved sides. It is also important to understand the properties of the curves and their equations in order to accurately set up the integrals.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the area between three curves?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the area between three curves. One example is when the curves intersect at more than three points, in which case you will need to divide the area into multiple sections and solve separate integrals for each section. Another case is when the curves overlap or intersect at angles other than 90 degrees, which may require using more complex integration techniques.

5. Can the area between three curves be negative?

No, the area between three curves cannot be negative. The area enclosed by the curves is always considered to be a positive value, regardless of the orientation of the curves or the signs of the integrals used to calculate the area. However, it is possible for the area between three curves to be equal to zero if the curves do not intersect or if they cancel each other out in certain sections.