A realistic mine turned in to an underground city

• Thread starter Czcibor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    exoplanet
In summary, an underground complex below a city is necessary for a respectable RPG. This involves high government spending on spacious servers full of mutated creatures, which can be difficult to justify to taxpayers. The city is located on a cool, habitable exoplanet near a big river and surrounded by semi-deserts. The technology is similar to early 21st century and there are restrictions on fossil fuels and luxury mining. The intended history is to start as a mining town and evolve into a big city with an underground district that can also serve as a nuclear shelter. The recommended geological formation and ore for this city would be something like Columbia, a hot and dry region with low rainfall. The idea of converting Olympus Mons on Mars to a fortress is also
Czcibor
As you probably know every respectable RPG needs an underground complex below a city... Usually it involves high gov spending on spacious severs full of mutated creatures... such constructions are usually hard to justify to taxpayers :D

OK, more seriously, the setting:
1) the city is located on a cool, habitable exoplanet, near a big river, surrounded by semi-desserts (think like Nile but temperature is usually somewhere around 10C-20C)
2) There was general idea to place the city somewhere in lower part of that river. The specific choice was made based on selecting the most reasonable site - some natural resources and suitable place for construction.
3) Technology is not much better than early XXIst century.
4) Restrictions:
-the planet is very poor in fossil fuels, so they are automatically out
-there is no point in mining any luxury stuff at that moment like ex. gold (yes, I know a bit used in electronics, but still don't fit)
-under perfect conditions the mining would start with strip mining and later there would be some shafts
-the rock should be solid enough that such mining would not preclude in any way subsequent construction of low skyscrapers
-the substance should be something essential in huge quantities for survival of industrial civilization, like ex. iron or aluminium
5) Intended history:
-first a mining town with industry processing that ore;
-evolving into big city, where mining would become marginal activity;
-turning empty shafts into an underground district of city, that just in case could be used as nuclear shelter and is connected with outside world with lifts and metro.

Which geological formation and ore would you advice? At best solution would be good at mining, reasonable source of construction material for whole city and simultaneously look as advantageous combination and NOT like a miracle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Czcibor said:
1) the city is located on a cool, habitable exoplanet, near a big river, surrounded by semi-desserts (think like Nile but temperature is usually somewhere around 10C-20C)
Anything like Columbia?

snorkack said:
Anything like Columbia?
Much drier, with rainfall around 300 mmEDIT: I play here a bit with single biome planet idea. Theoretically the planet has 85% water cover and over 55% ice cover... so icy water world... just humans settled in a hot, dry region... :D

Last edited:
Several countries in harms way of a USA / USSR conflict prepared for it with something like you are describing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Redoubt_(Switzerland) The post apocalypse world you are describing sounds a lot like what I would expect humans to do if we had had a nuclear conflict.

OK, I found that bauxites are on Earth mined almost exclusively by strip mining. So don't fit story.

Maybe hematite? Iron ore is always useful and should be worth some deep mining? Mostly covered with an igneous rock what justifies that relatively shallow deposits are not worth strip mining?

Czcibor said:
Much drier, with rainfall around 300 mm
That´s wetter. Pasco has 197 mm.

I have also wondered about converting Olympus Mons on Mars to a giant fortress. Should such a dead volcano produce paths of ore worth tunnel mining?

On : real underground cities exists Montreal has quite a large area, or existed, like ancient cappadocia, so supertechnology isn't needed to create one, just good justification.

Last edited:
GTOM said:
I have also wondered about converting Olympus Mons on Mars to a giant fortress. Should such a dead volcano produce paths of ore worth tunnel mining?
I think so, because volcanoes can bring different kind of minerals than surroundings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ore_genesis
(I've found only about ores from submerged volcanoes :( )
On : real underground cities exists Montreal has quite a large area, or existed, like ancient cappadocia, so supertechnology isn't needed to create one, just good justification.
Cappadocia? I've been there. I'd google Montreal.

Here is not a matter of supertech, but more of making it within low price.

What about a salt mine? I read they bury nuclear waste in salt, so it is stabile enough.
Salt and sulphur are necessary for chem industry. Maybe outside climate could be so harsh, that artificial lightning is cheaper than climate systems.

GTOM said:
What about a salt mine? I read they bury nuclear waste in salt, so it is stabile enough.
Salt and sulphur are necessary for chem industry. Maybe outside climate could be so harsh, that artificial lightning is cheaper than climate systems.
Good as material to dig holes in, not specially good material to build an industry around it.

Related to A realistic mine turned in to an underground city

1. What is a realistic mine turned into an underground city?

A realistic mine turned into an underground city is a concept where an abandoned or exhausted mine is repurposed and transformed into a livable and functional underground city.

2. How is this transformation possible?

This transformation involves extensive planning, engineering, and construction work. The mine tunnels and shafts are reinforced and renovated to support the structures and infrastructure of a city.

3. What are the benefits of turning a mine into an underground city?

There are several benefits to this concept, including utilizing existing infrastructure, reducing the impact on the surface environment, and providing shelter from extreme weather conditions.

4. Are there any challenges or risks associated with this project?

Yes, there are some challenges and risks involved in this project, such as potential structural instability, limited access to natural light, and the need for constant maintenance and ventilation systems.

5. Has this concept been successfully implemented anywhere?

Yes, there have been successful examples of this concept, such as the underground city of Coober Pedy in Australia and the underground city of Setenil de las Bodegas in Spain.