A pulley and a wedge questions.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley Wedge
In summary, the speaker discusses two questions related to equations and acceleration. In the first question, they provide a set of equations involving tensions and accelerations for three masses, but they are incorrect according to the book's answer. In the second question, they provide another set of equations for acceleration in the y direction, but these are also incorrect. The speaker apologizes in advance for not including the attachment.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
from the attachment, i need to answer question 2.15c and 2.16.

here is what i did with the questions:

in the first question i got the next set of equations, which apparently are incorrect cause i didnt get the answer from the book:
T-uM1g=M1a
uM2g-T=M2a
M3g-T'=M3a'
T'=2T
2a'=a
wher a' is the accleration of mass M3 and a is of the other two, T' is the tension on M3 and T is the tension on the other two.

for the second question i got the next set of equations, which is also incorrect cause they for accelration with the respect to the y direction:
Nsin45=mg
mA+Ncos45=ma

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the attachment.

I would like to clarify that the equations given in the question are correct. However, there may have been a misunderstanding in the way they were interpreted.

In the first question, the equations are representing the forces acting on the three masses attached to the pulley system. The correct equations should be:

T - M1g = M1a
M2g - T = M2a
T' - M3g = M3a'

Where T is the tension in the rope, M1 and M2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, and M3 is the mass attached to the pulley itself. The acceleration of M3, represented by a', is equal to twice the acceleration of the other two masses, represented by a. This is because the pulley is essentially doubling the force applied to M3. Therefore, the correct equations should be:

T - M1g = M1a
M2g - T = M2a
T' - M3g = 2M3a

In the second question, the equations are representing the forces acting on the wedge and the block on top of it. The correct equations should be:

mg - Nsin45 = ma
Ncos45 = mgsin45

Where m is the mass of the block and a is its acceleration. The normal force, N, is split into two components: one perpendicular to the surface of the wedge (Ncos45) and one parallel to the surface (Nsin45). The parallel component is equal to the force of gravity acting on the block (mgsin45) and the perpendicular component is equal to the force needed to accelerate the block (ma). Therefore, the correct equations should be:

mg - Nsin45 = ma
Ncos45 = mgsin45 + ma

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you arrive at the correct answers. Remember, it is important to carefully interpret and understand the equations given in a question before attempting to solve it.

Related to A pulley and a wedge questions.

1. How does a pulley work?

A pulley is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable wrapped around it. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the wheel turns and the object attached to the other end of the rope is lifted or lowered. The pulley allows the force to be applied in a different direction, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to create a mechanical advantage, making it even easier to lift heavy objects.

3. What is the difference between a pulley and a lever?

Both pulleys and levers are simple machines that make work easier by changing the direction or amount of force applied. However, a pulley uses a wheel and rope to lift objects, while a lever uses a rigid bar that pivots around a fulcrum to lift objects.

4. How does a wedge work?

A wedge is a simple machine consisting of two inclined planes joined together to form a sharp edge. When a force is applied to the wedge, it is able to split or separate objects. The sharp edge of the wedge concentrates the force over a small area, making it easier to cut or split through materials.

5. What are some examples of wedges in everyday life?

Some common examples of wedges include knives, axes, nails, and even teeth. Wedges are also found in many tools and machines, such as scissors, chisels, and doorstops. They are also used in construction, such as in scaffolding and roof trusses.