I have a question about a pulley and tension-related problem

• Thread starter edgarpokemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, The tension in the cord at the right is greater when it is pulled up by Box B than when it is pulled down by Box C.
edgarpokemon

Homework Statement

The figure shows three blocks attached by cords that loop over frictionless pulleys. Block B lies on a frictionless table; the masses are mA = 4.80 kg, mB = 7.10 kg, and mC = 13.0 kg. When the blocks are released, what is the tension in the cord at the right?

Figure A is on the left, figure C on the right, C being the largest mass.

Homework Equations

For part A I got T-m1g=ma, (Because the tension will be more used when it gets pulled up)
For Part B, This is where i am confused, I originally used T1-T2=M2A, because I thought that since the Box B will move to the right, then its tension would be less because Box C is pulling more with M3g, but I checked the answer and it said T2-T1=M2A, but why is that the right answer
For Part C I got, M3g-T=m3a (since gravity will do most of the work

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer of -7.22 on my first attempt and 3.22 for the acceleration on the second, which 3.22 is the correct answer. Help! I am just confused in part B! [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture doesn't seem to have uploaded and I think it is needed to understand the problem. Perhaps you can try again.

I think I can guess the diagram. Mass 1 hangs from a pulley on the left. The cord passes up over the pulley and extends horizontally to the right to mass 2. The second cord continues from mass 2 horizontally to the right, over a second pulley and straight down to mass 3.
Your working would be easier to follow if you were to use suffixes consistently.

You correctly presumed mass 1 would rise and mass 3 would fall, and got the right equations for those.
And, as you say, mass 2 will move to the right. But I cannot understand your explanation for why you chose T1-T2 there.
If the acceleration is to the right, which tension must be greater?

I see to understand now! thanks sorry for not posting a picture!

1. How does a pulley affect tension in a system?

A pulley can change the direction of a force, but it does not change the magnitude of the force. This means that the tension in a system with a pulley will be the same on both sides of the pulley as long as the rope or cable is inextensible and the pulley is frictionless.

2. Can multiple pulleys be used to increase tension?

Yes, multiple pulleys can be used to increase tension in a system. Each additional pulley will increase the mechanical advantage of the system, making it easier to lift heavier objects or apply greater force.

3. How can I calculate tension in a system with a pulley?

To calculate tension in a system with a pulley, you will need to consider the forces acting on the system. Use the formula T = F/m, where T is tension, F is the applied force, and m is the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. You will also need to take into account any friction or other external factors.

4. Can tension in a pulley system ever be greater than the applied force?

No, tension in a pulley system can never be greater than the applied force. As mentioned earlier, a pulley does not change the magnitude of the force, so the tension will always be equal to the applied force, assuming ideal conditions.

5. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension in a pulley system?

Static tension refers to the tension in a pulley system when it is not in motion, while dynamic tension refers to the tension when the system is in motion. In a frictionless and inextensible pulley system, the static and dynamic tension will be equal. However, in real-world situations, dynamic tension may be slightly different due to the effects of friction and other external factors.