A Level Physics: Can I Achieve a Good Grade?

In summary: Just put in the time and effort! You did well in maths, and a C isn't bad. Just keep trying and you'll get it!In summary, the person is unsure if they should do A-level physics due to their previous grades in GCSE and maths. They are seeking advice from teachers and other students. It is important to consider their future aspirations and whether physics is necessary for their desired field. It is possible to do well with a B in maths and a C in GCSE physics, but extra effort and dedication may be needed.
jasmin59
Unsure on whether I should do an A level in physics as I only got a C at GCSE and only a B in maths, would it be possible to do if I put loads of time and effort in or will it be to difficult to achieve a good grade?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jasmine59. Welcome to the forum.

Your best choice for advice on this is to talk to one of the teachers in your school, preferably one who knows you well and you have a good relationship with. They will have a good idea of how capable you are and whether you have the ability. Other possible sources of good advice are other students, preferably those who have taken the classes you are thinking about taking.

jasmin59 said:
Unsure on whether I should do an A level in physics as I only got a C at GCSE and only a B in maths, would it be possible to do if I put loads of time and effort in or will it be to difficult to achieve a good grade?

First of all, WHY would you do A-Level physics in the first place? Are you going into a subject area that requires this? If you are going into Law or Economics, etc., this would be silly, wouldn't it? So you never explained in the first place why you would even consider doing this subject, especially when you didn't do well previously.

Zz.

ZapperZ raises a good point. More pertinently, if you got a C in it at GCSE, what makes you think will change at A-level so you'll do better?

You only NEED to take physics if you're going to do Physics or Engineering at uni (including joint and combined honours of these courses). There are also a number of engineering courses you can get on without Physics A-level anyway. If you aren't planning on doing either of these, there's no NEED to take it. While it'd be certainly USEFUL if you end up doing say, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, or Maths, it's far from essential.

You can certainly get by with a B in maths (I'm doing engineering at uni and got a B in GCSE maths and a first in our first year maths methods module so...), and honestly you can probably do fine with a C at GCSE, but you'll need to spend extra time making sure you're up to scratch on the relevant GCSE topics. You should take Maths A-level with it however. There's really no point in doing A-level Physics without Maths, it's a prerequisite for both aforementioned courses and the topics will help make sure your maths skills are up to date and up to scratch, and the calculus you do, while not used explicitly (at least for most exam boards) will help you conceptually think about the topics better.

But yeah, you should a) think about your future aspirations and b) come back and clarify what those are if you want this question to be answered well on here xD

jasmin59 said:
yes, of course you can get better.

Related to A Level Physics: Can I Achieve a Good Grade?

1. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

In order to achieve a good grade in A Level Physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of complex concepts. Some ways to improve your understanding include reviewing class notes and textbooks, practicing problems, and seeking help from your teacher or a tutor.

2. Is it necessary to have strong math skills to do well in A Level Physics?

While a strong foundation in math is helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement to excel in A Level Physics. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to solve physics problems.

3. How can I prepare for exams in A Level Physics?

To prepare for exams, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to review class notes and past assignments. It may also be helpful to create flashcards or summary sheets to review key concepts and equations.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me with A Level Physics?

There are many online resources available to help with A Level Physics, such as educational websites, videos, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to join online study groups or forums to discuss and clarify difficult concepts.

5. What can I do if I am struggling with a particular topic in A Level Physics?

If you are struggling with a specific topic, do not hesitate to ask your teacher for help. They may be able to provide additional resources or explanations to help clarify the concept. You can also seek help from a tutor or study with classmates who may have a better understanding of the topic.