A few quick q's about grad school criteria

In summary, the speaker is a junior undergrad student at San Francisco State University with a 4.0 GPA in their major and a 3.7 overall. They are planning to graduate in Spring 2009 with a BA in physics and a BS in mathematics. They have not taken the GRE yet but are confident they will do well. They have also had the opportunity to work on research projects with their professors and are wondering if this will weigh against them when applying to PhD programs. They are also concerned about their age (29 at graduation) affecting their chances of admission. They are seeking advice on whether to continue at SFSU or transfer to UC Berkeley's nuclear engineering program, and are specifically looking for insight from those with similar experiences
strangequark
hey all,

I'm entering my junior year as an undergrad, hence looking forward towards grad school studies. At the moment, I'm attending san francisco state and have a 4.0 in my major with a 3.7 overall. I'm working toward a BA in physics and a BS in mathematics, both to be completed in Spring of 2009. Obviously I haven't taken GRE's, but am confident I'll do well. Also, I have had some opportunity (and will continue) to work on research projects with my professors.

I'm very happy with the academic programs at SFSU, but am aware that it does not have a top name/rating in my field. I am wondering if (and to what extent) this will weigh against me when applying to PhD programs.

Secondly, I will be twenty-nine when I graduate, and while I am familiar with the "does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, etc." clause, but I am wondering if this will negatively affect my chances of admissions.

Anyone who can offer insight/opinions... I highly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody? I'm trying to decide wether to continue at sfsu or to transfer to UC berkeley's nuclear engineering program (for which I was accepted), and i need to make a decision within a couple weeks...

anyone who's been in or known someone to be in a similar situation... I would REALLY appreciate some advice

age won't matter. berkeley will carry more weight. (but my experience is in the field of math.)

Last edited:
I don't see where you list your research experience. That's really a bigger factor than some of the other things you list there.

Related to A few quick q's about grad school criteria

1. What is the minimum GPA requirement for grad school?

The minimum GPA requirement for grad school varies depending on the school and program. Generally, a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required, but some programs may have higher requirements.

2. Do I need to take the GRE for grad school?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that is required by many grad schools. However, some programs do not require it, so it is best to check with the specific school and program you are interested in to see if the GRE is required.

3. What kind of experience do I need to get into grad school?

The type of experience needed for grad school varies depending on the program. Some programs may require relevant work experience, while others may prioritize research or extracurricular experience. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to see what type of experience they value.

4. How important is the personal statement for grad school admissions?

The personal statement, also known as a statement of purpose, is an important aspect of grad school admissions. It allows you to showcase your goals, experiences, and qualifications to the admissions committee. A strong personal statement can greatly improve your chances of being accepted into a program.

5. Are there any specific criteria for letters of recommendation for grad school?

Most grad schools require letters of recommendation from professors or employers who can speak to your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in a graduate program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can provide strong, detailed letters of recommendation.