3 Dimensional Representation of D3

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining a three dimensional representation of the Dihedral group of order 6, D_3, which has elements corresponding to rotations and reflections on the xy plane. It is noted that D_3 is isomorphic to S_3 and can be represented in \mathbb{R}^3 by permuting the standard basis vectors, but there is some confusion about how the rotations and reflections would fit into this representation.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was wondering how can I obtain the three dimensional representation of the Dihedral group of order 6, [itex]D_3[/itex].

If this group has the elements: [itex]D_3 = \left \{ e,c,c^2,b,bc,bc^2 \right \}[/itex]

Where [itex]c[/itex] corresponds to rotation by [itex]120^o[/itex] on the xy plane (so about z-axis) and [itex]b[/itex] to reflections of the [itex]x[/itex] axis, I don't see how [itex]z[/itex] would change at all... so when I try to obtain it I'm getting the known 2-dimensional representation of [itex]D_3[/itex] together with an extra [itex]1[/itex] on the diagonal corresponding to the transformations [itex]z \rightarrow z'=z[/itex]...
Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]D_3[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]S_3[/itex], which acts naturally (but reducibly) on [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] by permuting the standard basis vectors.

So you are suggesting it will have the 3dim repr of S3?
I also thought that... but then the rotations and reflections as defined don't seem to help in this correspondence...:s

Related to 3 Dimensional Representation of D3

What is "3 Dimensional Representation of D3"?

"3 Dimensional Representation of D3" is a way of visualizing data and information in a three-dimensional space. It is a method commonly used in scientific research and engineering to better understand and analyze complex systems and structures.

What is the purpose of using "3 Dimensional Representation of D3"?

The purpose of using "3 Dimensional Representation of D3" is to provide a more intuitive and comprehensive understanding of data and information. It allows for a more accurate representation of complex relationships and patterns, which can aid in decision making and problem-solving.

How is "3 Dimensional Representation of D3" different from other visualization techniques?

Unlike other visualization techniques, "3 Dimensional Representation of D3" adds an additional dimension to the data, providing a more realistic and immersive experience. It also allows for the manipulation and exploration of the data from different angles, providing a more in-depth understanding of the data.

What are the common applications of "3 Dimensional Representation of D3"?

"3 Dimensional Representation of D3" has a wide range of applications in various fields, including scientific research, engineering, architecture, medicine, and gaming. It is commonly used to visualize molecular structures, geological formations, architectural designs, and virtual environments.

What are the limitations of "3 Dimensional Representation of D3"?

One of the main limitations of "3 Dimensional Representation of D3" is the potential for data misinterpretation. The added dimension can make it challenging to accurately represent complex data, and the visualization may not always reflect the true nature of the data. Additionally, creating and interpreting 3D representations can be time-consuming and require specialized software and skills.