Some questions about group representations

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a unitary matrix that block-diagonalizes a matrix and the concept of irreducible representations in the group of rotations around an axis. It is determined that there is a rigorous method for finding the matrix and that there are two irreducible representations, each with a dimension of 1. It is also discussed that the vectors for the representations do not need to be written differently and that the group has both a left-handed and right-handed representation.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was rethinking about some things I learned but I came to things that seemed to be not firm enough in my mind.

1) When we want to find the unitary matrix that block-diagonalizes a certain matrix through a similarity transformation, we should find the eigenvectors of that matrix and stick them together to get a square matrix. But this process of sticking two column matrices together doesn't seem rigorous to me. Is there a rigorous way of doing this?
2)Consider the group of rotations around an axis. It has two irreducible representations, [itex] e^{\pm i \varphi} [/itex] on the vector space of complex numbers. But we also have the reducible representation of [itex] \mathbb R ^2 [/itex] with Rotation matrices!
a) They both seem to be two dimensional. So sub-representations can have the same dimension of the bigger representation? Seems strange!
b) For [itex] e^{i\varphi}[/itex], we write the vectors as [itex] z=x+iy=\rho e^{i\alpha} [/itex]. Should we write the vectors differently when we consider [itex] e^{-i\varphi} [/itex]?
c)can we say the group of rotations around an axis has a left-handed and a right-handed irreducible representation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Why doesn't this method seem rigorous? By the way, I'm pretty sure (but sadly not 100% sure) that only Hermitian matrices are diagonalized by Unitary similarity transformations. But what about this method seems non-rigorous? What kind of a method do you have in mind that is "rigorous"?

2) I don't think I can answer this question with any authority, so I will stay away from this one. :D

Matterwave said:
1) Why doesn't this method seem rigorous? By the way, I'm pretty sure (but sadly not 100% sure) that only Hermitian matrices are diagonalized by Unitary similarity transformations. But what about this method seems non-rigorous? What kind of a method do you have in mind that is "rigorous"?
I was thinking that there is no mathematical operation that let's you stick two column vectors to get a square matrix. But after seeing this page, the equivalent conditions part, I'm now good enough with it!
Matterwave said:
2) I don't think I can answer this question with any authority, so I will stay away from this one. :D
I have the answer to the a part. I was wrong that the [itex] e^{\pm i \varphi} [/itex] representations are 2 dimensional. They're one dimensional because they associate 1 by 1 matrices to each element of the group. I also think c was not a good question so I can abandon it.
Now only 2-b remains! which it seems to me for both representations [itex] e^{\pm i \varphi} [/itex], we're using the same vector space ([itex] \mathbb C [/itex]) to define the automorphisms on so I think the vectors are the same and only the automorphisms are different. But as you put it, I'm sadly not 100% sure!

I'm a little confused by why the group of rotations has "two representations ##e^{\pm i\varphi}##", it seems to me that the + case is a counter-clock-wise rotation, and the - case is a clock-wise rotation, so they are not representing the same thing...

Matterwave said:
I'm a little confused by why the group of rotations has "two representations ##e^{\pm i\varphi}##", it seems to me that the + case is a counter-clock-wise rotation, and the - case is a clock-wise rotation, so they are not representing the same thing...
Yeah, they're different in the sense that they are different irreducible representations of the same group. This is actually what we can expect from the beginning. Because rotations around an axis can be done with either of the two possible orientations and no one of them has priority and so if we had only one irreducible representation for rotations around an axis, we were missing this symmetry between the two orientations.

I found something interesting:
[itex]
\left( \begin{array}{cc} \cos\varphi \ \ \ -\sin\varphi \\ \sin\varphi \ \ \ \cos\varphi \end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{cc} x \\ y \end{array}\right)=\left( \begin{array}{cc} x' \\ y' \end{array}\right) \Rightarrow \\ \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \ \ \ i \\ 1 \ -i \end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{cc}\cos\varphi \ \ \ -\sin\varphi \\ \sin\varphi \ \ \ \cos\varphi \end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \ \ \ 1 \\ -i \ \ \ i \end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \ \ \ i \\ 1 \ -i \end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{cc} x \\ y \end{array}\right)=\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 \ \ \ i \\ 1 \ -i \end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{cc} x' \\ y'\end{array}\right) \Rightarrow \\ \left( \begin{array}{cc} e^{i\varphi} \ \ \ 0 \\ 0 \ \ \ e^{-i\varphi} \end{array}\right)\left( \begin{array}{cc} x+iy \\ x-iy \end{array}\right)=\left( \begin{array}{cc} x'+iy' \\ x'-iy' \end{array}\right)
[/itex]
Which means for [itex] e^{i\varphi} [/itex] the vectors are [itex]x+iy[/itex] and for [itex] e^{-i\varphi} [/itex], they're [itex] x-iy [/itex].

Shyan said:
I was thinking that there is no mathematical operation that let's you stick two column vectors to get a square matrix.
You don't need an operation. If a,b,c,d are real numbers, then ##\begin{pmatrix}a & b\\ c & d\end{pmatrix}## is a square matrix, period. The fact that ##\begin{pmatrix}a\\ c\end{pmatrix}## and ##\begin{pmatrix}b\\ d\end{pmatrix}## are 2×1 matrices doesn't change that.

Shyan said:
Which means for [itex] e^{i\varphi} [/itex] the vectors are [itex]x+iy[/itex] and for [itex] e^{-i\varphi} [/itex], they're [itex] x-iy [/itex].
But the sets ##\{x+iy|x,y\in\mathbb R\}## and ##\{x-iy|x,y\in\mathbb R\}## are the same. (They're both ##\mathbb C##).

Last edited:
Shyan said:
a) They both seem to be two dimensional. So sub-representations can have the same dimension of the bigger representation? Seems strange!
You started out with a set of 2×2 complex matrices. Their components may be real, but you're using the multiplication operation defined on the set of 2×2 complex matrices, so all your matrices should be thought of as complex. They correspond to linear operators on ##\mathbb C^2##. This is a 2-dimensional vector space over ##\mathbb C##.

Then you found two invariant subspaces, each of them 1-dimensional. (##\mathbb C## is a 1-dimensional vector space over ##\mathbb C##), and you used them to define irreducible representations. So you went from 2 dimensions to 1.

Shyan said:
b) For [itex] e^{i\varphi}[/itex], we write the vectors as [itex] z=x+iy=\rho e^{i\alpha} [/itex]. Should we write the vectors differently when we consider [itex] e^{-i\varphi} [/itex]?
No need. They are arbitrary elements of ##\mathbb C##.

Shyan said:
c)can we say the group of rotations around an axis has a left-handed and a right-handed irreducible representation?
I don't think that terminology is standard, but I suppose you can call them whatever you want.

Related to Some questions about group representations

1. What are group representations?

Group representations are mathematical tools used to study the symmetries of a group. They describe how elements of a group can be represented as linear transformations on vector spaces.

2. Why are group representations important?

Group representations are important because they allow us to understand the structure and behavior of groups by using familiar mathematical objects, such as matrices, vectors, and linear transformations. They also have many applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields of science.

3. What is the difference between a faithful and a reducible representation?

A faithful representation is one where each element of the group corresponds to a unique linear transformation, and no two elements of the group are represented by the same transformation. A reducible representation, on the other hand, can be broken down into smaller, independent representations.

4. How do you find the irreducible representations of a group?

The process of finding the irreducible representations of a group involves decomposing a reducible representation into its irreducible components using methods such as character theory and projection operators. This allows us to identify the unique irreducible representations of a group.

5. What are some applications of group representations?

Group representations have various applications in science, including crystallography, quantum mechanics, and molecular symmetry. They are also used in computer graphics and signal processing, as well as in the study of symmetry and patterns in nature.