Zinc reacting with oxygen - IS THIS RELATION CORRECT?

In summary, the conversation discussed the reaction between powdered zinc and sulfur to form zinc sulfide, with some of the reactants also reacting with oxygen to form zinc oxide and sulfur dioxide. The problem then asked for the amount of zinc oxide formed when 85.2 g of zinc reacted with 52.4 g of sulfur and 105.4 g of zinc sulfide was formed. The solution involved using a rule of three to find the missing mass of zinc, resulting in 70.71 g of zinc, which was then subtracted from the original 85.2 g to determine the amount of zinc oxide formed.
aero_zeppelin

Homework Statement

Powdered zinc is heated with sulfur to form zinc sulfide... however, part of the reactants react with O2 as well and form zinc oxide and sulfur dioxide...

Imagine that 85.2 g of Zn reacted with 52.4 g of S8 and 105.4 g of ZnS was formed...

If the remainder of the reactants combined with O2 to form zinc oxide and sulfur dioxide, how many grams of zinc oxide formed??

Homework Equations

8 Zn + S8 --> 8 ZnS Balanced equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I think I have this problem figured out, but I just want to know if the next relation is right...

I'm using a rule of 3 to find the mass of Zinc that's "missing"

97.45 g of ZnS ----- 65.38 g Zn
105.4 g of ZnS----- x

So basically, what I'm saying is: If 97.45 grams of ZnS (molar mass of zinc sulfide) contain 65.38 g of Zn (molar mass of Zn), then how many grams of Zinc are there in 105.4 of ZnS?
I'm obtaining 70.71 g of Zn, then substracted this from 85.2 g and going from there...

I just want to know if this relation is correct... the rest of the problem is all figured out... The question actually suggests using percent yield data, but I used this method instead...

If this is wrong... I'd appreciate some advice... the percent yield from the previous exercise was 83%

Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

great, thanks!

Related to Zinc reacting with oxygen - IS THIS RELATION CORRECT?

1. What is the chemical equation for zinc reacting with oxygen?

The chemical equation for zinc reacting with oxygen is Zn + O2 → ZnO. This means that zinc (Zn) reacts with oxygen (O2) to form zinc oxide (ZnO).

2. What type of reaction is zinc and oxygen undergoing?

Zinc reacting with oxygen is an example of a combustion reaction. This is because it involves the rapid combination of a substance (zinc) with oxygen, typically producing heat and light.

3. What are the physical properties of zinc oxide?

Zinc oxide is a white powder with a melting point of 1975°C and a boiling point of 2360°C. It has a density of 5.6 g/cm3 and is insoluble in water. It is also non-toxic and has many uses in various industries.

4. How does the reactivity of zinc with oxygen compare to other metals?

Zinc is a moderately reactive metal, meaning it will readily react with oxygen but not as rapidly as highly reactive metals like sodium or potassium. It is also less reactive than metals like iron and aluminum.

5. What are the factors that can affect the rate of zinc reacting with oxygen?

The rate of zinc reacting with oxygen can be affected by factors such as temperature, surface area, and concentration of reactants. Higher temperatures generally increase the rate of reaction, while a larger surface area and higher concentration of reactants can also speed up the reaction. Additionally, the presence of catalysts or inhibitors can also impact the rate of the reaction.