Falsely accused: what would you do?

• Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was walking as part of their recovery program when a man accused them of stealing his car keys. The speaker denied taking the keys and offered to empty their pockets and wait for the police. The man became defensive and eventually apologized when he found his keys at home. The speaker was initially angry but the issue was resolved after a conversation with the man.
N_Quire
As part of my recovery program from back injury, I am supposed to walk a few miles a day. If it's painful, I stop and lean against a wall or bus stop for a few seconds. When the discomfort has subsided, I move on.

That's what I was doing this afternoon when I heard a guy shouting at me, "You there, stop right there". Then he came running towards me, a distance of about 50 yards.

I stood my my ground and when he was about three yards from me he shouted, "Did you take my car keys?"

I'm stunned because all I have been thinking about is shuffling along the sidewalk, trying to get home. The guy says, "I saw you on my lawn and people normally walk on the sidewalk. The keys to my house and car were in the door. Did you take them?"

So I say, "I wasn't on your lawn, I didn't notice your door, your keys or your car. I was just walking."

Then he shouts even more loudly, "You were acting very suspiciously. Why were you walking and why were you hanging round my door?"

I hold out my hands as if to indicate I have nothing to hide. I tell him I have a very bad back, that I have to rest every 20 yards or so and when I am walking that is all I think about, I don't notice much else. I tell him I will empty my pockets if that makes him happy, he can call the cops if he wanats to and I will wait and talk to them.

Then he gets defensive and says, "Come on now, is it possible that you saw the keys, were tempted, reached out and grabbed them? Think about it"

By this time I am very angry and tell him, "No offense, but I live in a much bigger house than yours, I have plenty of money, I have a car of my own and I have never stolen anything in my life. Now call the police and I will wait right here and we can talk to them together".

He then says, "You better watch out and quit acting weirdly." Then he runs back to his house cussing and swearing.

It was only when I got back home that I realized I had been accused of stealing and that in my own neighborhood a guy had stood shouting at me calling me a thief. What would you have done in these circumstances?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your remark; "No offense, but I live in a much..." was a good put-down and I think the other guy knew it. With a bad back, I think you did well.

I've used this comment with good effect. "Walk away while you still can!"

Of course there might be consequences with that.

Regards

Chapter Two of this saga: I was so furious when I got home that I decided to go back to the guy's house and insist he call the police so they could question me and I would be in the clear.

I knocked on his door and before I could utter a word, he said: "Oh dear, I am so sorry, I found my keys on the TV." Then he held out his hand to shake mine. But before I'd shake, I let him know he had made me angry, he'd shouted at me in the street, accused me of being a thief and said I acted weirdly. I informed him that I have never stolen anything and that my back forces me to stop and rest very often, which might look odd if you don't know me.

He was very apologetic. We shook hands and I was glad the problem had been resolved.

1. What do you mean by "falsely accused"?

Being falsely accused means that someone has been accused of a crime or wrongdoing that they did not commit. It is an allegation made against an individual without any evidence or proof.

2. How common is it for someone to be falsely accused?

It is difficult to determine the exact prevalence of false accusations, as they are often unreported or resolved before going to trial. However, studies suggest that false accusations occur in about 2-10% of reported crimes.

3. What should someone do if they are falsely accused?

If you are falsely accused, it is important to remain calm and gather evidence to prove your innocence. It is also recommended to seek legal advice and avoid speaking to the accuser or anyone else about the accusations without a lawyer present.

4. What are the consequences of being falsely accused?

Being falsely accused can have serious consequences such as damage to one's reputation, loss of employment opportunities, and emotional distress. In some cases, it can also lead to legal repercussions and a criminal record.

5. What can be done to prevent false accusations?

To prevent false accusations, it is important to have a fair and thorough legal system in place with checks and balances. It is also important for individuals to be aware of their rights and to seek legal assistance if they are ever falsely accused.