Zeta function = vacuum Background?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper with interesting concepts related to Riemann's zeta function and its involvement in quantum field theory. The speaker recommends a book on the topic and also mentions their own idea about using prime numbers in entropy ensembles. They mention purchasing a book by Karl Sabbagh for further understanding.
Wave's_Hand_Particle
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wave's_Hand_Particle said:
Here is a paper that has some interesting concepts:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0412217
Is this possible/probable? :confused:

I haven't read that article,but I'm sure it's okay.I can tell u for sure that there is no wonder to the fact that Riemann's zeta function is involved in QFT.Actually a good method of renormalization of field theories is based upon a very ingenious generalization of the Riemann's zeta function.I would infer to the book by Pierre Ramond:"Field Theory:A Modern Primer" (2nd edition,1989) where there is chapter dedicated to zeta Riemann function renormalization procedure.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I haven't read that article,but I'm sure it's okay.I can tell u for sure that there is no wonder to the fact that Riemann's zeta function is involved in QFT.Actually a good method of renormalization of field theories is based upon a very ingenious generalization of the Riemann's zeta function.I would infer to the book by Pierre Ramond:"Field Theory:A Modern Primer" (2nd edition,1989) where there is chapter dedicated to zeta Riemann function renormalization procedure.

Daniel.

Many thanks, I have not heard of the 'renorm' procedure due to Zeta--Riemann, although I have worked out that for any increasing ensemble of numbers, there is a corresponding factor of representative zero, normalization?

This:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.valletta/PRIME GRIDS.htm
is a poor example of a Grid background for Entropic Ensembles, where the increasing Zero's are "Space-Vacuum" oriented, and Prime numbers are decreasing WRT Matter.

This is idea was independant , and was put put some years ago.

P.S I have just bought a number of books, and one by Karl Sabbagh:Dr Riemann's Zeros, will hopefully help me to a greater understanding, thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Zeta function = vacuum Background?

1. What is the Zeta function?

The Zeta function, denoted as ζ(s), is a mathematical function that is defined by the infinite series 1 + 2^(-s) + 3^(-s) + 4^(-s) + ..., where s is a complex number. It has many applications in number theory and has connections to other areas of mathematics such as calculus, geometry, and physics.

2. What is the significance of the Zeta function in physics?

The Zeta function has been found to have a close relationship with the vacuum background in quantum field theory. Specifically, it is used to calculate the vacuum energy density, which is the amount of energy in the vacuum state of a quantum field. This has implications for understanding the behavior of particles and forces at the subatomic level.

3. How does the Zeta function relate to the vacuum background?

The Zeta function is used to regularize the vacuum energy density, which is an infinite quantity in quantum field theory. By applying mathematical techniques such as analytic continuation and the Riemann zeta function, the Zeta function can be used to obtain a finite value for the vacuum energy density, giving us a better understanding of the vacuum background.

4. Can the Zeta function be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, the Zeta function has also been used in other areas of physics such as statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics. In these fields, it is used to calculate the partition function, which is a measure of the number of ways a system can be arranged. This has applications in understanding the behavior of systems with a large number of particles.

5. Are there any current research developments related to the Zeta function and the vacuum background?

Yes, there is ongoing research in using the Zeta function to study the vacuum background in different types of quantum field theories. This includes exploring its applications in higher dimensions, non-abelian gauge theories, and theories with supersymmetry. Additionally, there is ongoing work in understanding the physical implications of the vacuum energy density calculated using the Zeta function.