Zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial

In summary, there are multiple options for finding the zeros of a generalized Laguerre polynomial. One option is to use the command LaguerreL[n,a,x] in Mathematica to find symbolic roots, and then use the Roots function to get the exact values. Another option is to use the N[Solve[LaguerreL[n,a,x] == 0, x]] function in Mathematica to get approximate values. There is also a Fortran program library called LAGUERRE_POLYNOMIAL that can be used for this purpose. Mathematica can also output the results to a file.
ognik
Hi - does anyone know of a program library/subroutine/some other source, to find the zeros of a generalised Laguerre polynomial? ie. $ L^{\alpha}_N (x_i) = 0 $

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In Mathematica (or Wolfram Development Platform), the command
Code:
LaguerreL[n,a,x]
yields the generalized Laguerre polynomials $L_{n}^{a}(x)$. You could then use the power of Mathematica to find zeros as much as you like. Is this for a particular value of $a$? And to what order of polynomial are you intending to go? Mathematica can find symbolic roots all the up to 4th-order. Naturally, it might be difficult to find a fifth-order, since a general formula does not exist. If you have a particular value of $a$ in mind, then you can get Mathematica to find the roots numerically fairly easily, as well.

Thanks - I should have said I wanted something I could include in a program (Fortran); and I will need N up to potentially 100 ...

For general interest, the subs I found are:

LAGUERRE_POLYNOMIAL - Laguerre Polynomials

https://github.com/exciting/exciting/blob/master/src/src_gw/gaulag.f90

Back to Mathematica, I tried Roots[LaguerreL[4, 2, x] == 0, x] - but that gives me a string of calculations for each root, what do I need to do please, to simplify/just get the number for each root?

You aren't getting a string of calculations, it's telling you the exact values of the 4 roots. If all you need are approximations, try N[Solve[LaguerreL[4, 2, x] == 0, x]]. That will give you a list of the approximate values of the 4 roots. If you need more precision in the answer you can use N[Solve[LaguerreL[4, 2, x] == 0, x],6] to get the answer to six decimal places. Be warned, though, depending on what algorithms Mathematica has to use to get the solutions you may not be able to get six decimal precision.

-Dan

That makes rather good sense, and is all useful info, thanks.
My next thought is - is there a way to get Mathematica to output to a file, like a csv?

BTW, it does return values for N > 4, I tried up to 100 ... but only 7 decimal places.

Related to Zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial

1. What are zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial?

The zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. They are often referred to as roots.

2. How are zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial calculated?

The zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial can be calculated using numerical methods such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method. They can also be found by solving the polynomial analytically.

3. What is the significance of zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial?

The zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations, study quantum systems, and approximate functions, among others.

4. Can the zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial be complex numbers?

Yes, the zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial can be complex numbers. In fact, in some cases, the polynomial may have only complex zeros. These complex zeros are often found in pairs, known as conjugate pairs.

5. Are there any special properties of the zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial?

Yes, the zeros of generalised Laguerre polynomial have some special properties. For example, they are symmetric with respect to the real axis and the number of zeros is equal to the degree of the polynomial. Moreover, the zeros are also related to the coefficients of the polynomial through certain recurrence relations.