Zero velocity, Zero acceleration

In summary: This is only true if v(x) is a continuous function. Otherwise, v(x) would be a discontinuous function and the chain rule would not be applicable. In summary, the equation holds when the derivatives are continuous.
PFuser1232
In one dimension, the acceleration of a particle can be expressed as:
$$a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dv}{dx} = v \frac{dv}{dx}$$
Does this equation imply that if ##v = 0## then ##a = 0##?

EDIT: I think I figured out the source of my confusion. This equation is a differential equation and I cannot just plug in values for ##v##, am I right?

Last edited:
Likes Philethan and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
[strike]I don't think your 3rd step is correct.
##a(t)=\frac{d}{dt}v(t)=\frac{d^2}{dt^2}x(t)=\frac{d}{dt}[\frac{d}{dt} x(t)]##.[strike] disregard this comment. I made a mistake originally.

Last edited:
Shinaolord said:
I don't think your 3rd step is correct.
##a(t)=\frac{d}{dt}v(t)=\frac{d^2}{dt^2}x(t)##.

It is correct. I applied the chain rule.

##a=\int v## ##dt##, so there will always be the constant of integration. V may or may not be 0 when a=0.(This is entirely determined by the value of v at t=0)
EDIT: Its ##v=\int a## ##dt##, major mess up on my end, sorry.

Last edited:
PWiz said:
##a=\int v## ##dt##, so there will always be the constant of integration. V may or may not be 0 when a=0.(This is entirely determined by the value of v at t=0)
Ah, that's what I must've been seeing wrong.
I knew it was something. But shouldn't your a be x, as your integrating v(t)?

Last edited:
Shinaolord said:
I don't think your 3rd step is correct.
##a(t)=\frac{d}{dt}v(t)=\frac{d^2}{dt^2}x(t)=\frac{d}{dt}[\frac{d}{dt} x(t)]##.
Please re-check your calculations.

I'm in the process of doing just that.You are correct. I realized what my mistake was. My apologies.

PWiz said:
This is wrong if by "a" you mean acceleration. The integral of v is the displacement and not the acceleration.

Crap, sorry I interchanged the terms.
It should be ##v=\int a dt##. (How very embarrassing for me. Please excuse it as a major slip of the finger :P)

MohammedRady97 said:

EDIT: I think I figured out the source of my confusion. This equation is a differential equation and I cannot just plug in values for ##v##, am I right?
It implies that only if the derivative is finite at v=0. I mean the dv/dx.
For a simple case, like a body thrown straight up for example, the velocity is zero at the top of the trajectory but the derivative dv/dx is proportional to 1/v so it will blow up at v=0. But the product vdv/dx will have a finite, non-zero value.

So you may have v=0 and a=0 at the same time, as discussed in the other thread. But is not a necessary condition. v=0 does not imply a=0.

And you did not make any mistake in your derivation of the formula.

nasu said:
It implies that only if the derivative is finite at v=0. I mean the dv/dx.
For a simple case, like a body thrown straight up for example, the velocity is zero at the top of the trajectory but the derivative dv/dx is proportional to 1/v so it will blow up at v=0. But the product vdv/dx will have a finite, non-zero value.

So you may have v=0 and a=0 at the same time, as discussed in the other thread. But is not a necessary condition. v=0 does not imply a=0.

And you did not make any mistake in your derivation of the formula.
I would like to take this time to point out to The OP, in case he missed my edit, that I made a mistake in my calculations the first time about, and your derivation was correct. I apologize for possibly misleading you.

MohammedRady97 said:

You had them all fooled for a bit with this one. To be a little more precise: your equation holds when all the functions involved are differentiable. The problem is that dv/dx may not be differentiable at certain points. That's when the use of the chain rule breaks down. The statement of the chain rule would say "... and if v(x) is differentiable at x ..".

Here's the problem:

Suppose a particle ##P## has an acceleration ##a##. As shown above:

$$a = v \frac{dv}{dx}$$

Now, both ##v## and ##\frac{dv}{dx}## are functions of ##x##. I will call them ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## respectively.

$$a = f(x) g(x)$$

Where ##g = f'##.

Suppose one solution to the equation ##f(x) = 0## is ##x = b##, and I wish to find the acceleration of ##P## at this particular value of ##x##.

$$a = f(b) g(b) = 0 ⋅ g(b) = 0$$

The reason I find this result bizarre is that I can think of many situations where a body is at instantaneous rest, but still possesses a nonzero acceleration component due to a nonzero net force at that point, so I know I must have gone wrong somewhere. Where did I go wrong?

MohammedRady97 said:
Where did I go wrong?

I already explained that above. You assumed that v is a differentiable function of x.

"The problem is that dv/dx may not be differentiable at certain points. That's when your use of the chain rule breaks down."

PeroK said:
I already explained that above. You assumed that v is a differentiable function of x.

"The problem is that dv/dx may not be differentiable at certain points. That's when your use of the chain rule breaks down."

So if ##v## is a differentiable function of ##x##, then ##v = 0## always implies ##a = 0##?

MohammedRady97 said:
So if ##v## is a differentiable function of ##x##, then ##v = 0## always implies ##a = 0##?

Yes, but:

##\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dv}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{a(t)}{v(t)}##

So, if v = 0, then dv/dx has a tendency to be undefined at that point.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Yes, but:

##\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dv}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{a(t)}{v(t)}##

So, if v = 0, then dv/dx has a tendency to be undefined at that point.

This is a ##\frac{0}{0}## situation, which means we cannot compute the derivative using this equation alone; we need to be given ##v## as a function of ##x##, right?

MohammedRady97 said:
This is a ##\frac{0}{0}## situation, which means we cannot compute the derivative using this equation alone; we need to be given ##v## as a function of ##x##, right?

You're missing the point that if v = 0, then dv/dx is undefined.

Try to find an example of a function v(t) where v(t) = 0 at some point and dv/dx exists (finite) at that point.

Likes Redbelly98
MohammedRady97 said:
No it does not. If v = 0, and v STAYS equal to zero, then yes, a=0. Said in more detail, if v=0 at time t, and v is still zero a moment later, then a=0. As you've said yourself, this is a differential equation, and v, a and t all represent variables. You can't just plug in numbers like that.

To give you another example, consider two objects that have equal velocities for some instant in time. Are they accelerating in the same manner? In other words, if v1=v2, is a1 = a2?

Answer: not unless v1 is always equal to v2. In other words, if the velocities are variables over some time, then yes the accelerations must be equal, but if they only represent numbers (or points in time), then then the accelerations are not necessarily equal.

If x1=x2, does v1=v2? In other words, if two objects are next to each other at the same position next to each other, does this mean they have the same velocities?
What if they are ALWAYS next to each other?

Related to Zero velocity, Zero acceleration

1. What is zero velocity?

Zero velocity refers to an object's lack of movement or motion. This means that the object's speed is constant and it is not moving in any direction.

2. How is zero velocity different from zero acceleration?

Zero velocity and zero acceleration are two separate concepts. Zero velocity refers to an object's lack of movement, while zero acceleration refers to an object's lack of change in velocity. In other words, an object with zero acceleration can still be moving at a constant speed, while an object with zero velocity is not moving at all.

3. Can an object have zero velocity but non-zero acceleration?

No, an object cannot have zero velocity and non-zero acceleration at the same time. If an object has zero velocity, it means that its speed is constant and there is no change in its position. Therefore, there can be no acceleration.

4. What is the significance of zero velocity and zero acceleration in physics?

Zero velocity and zero acceleration are important concepts in physics as they help us understand the motion of objects. They serve as reference points for measuring an object's speed and acceleration and can also be used to determine the presence of external forces acting on an object.

5. How can we calculate an object's velocity and acceleration if they are both zero?

If an object's velocity and acceleration are both zero, then it is not moving and there is no change in its speed or direction. Therefore, there is no need to calculate its velocity or acceleration. However, if there are external forces acting on the object, then its velocity and acceleration may change and can be calculated using relevant equations.