Zero/Span Circuit for Audio Signal

In summary, you could use an amplifier to boost the input voltage to the PIC, but it is hardly worth it.
cdanderson04
Hey all:

I have an audio signal from an old portable CD player that on max volume outputs about 1-1.2V as shown when attached an oscilloscope. I want to feed this signal into a PIC microcontroller, but I hear you need to amplify and shift the signal into the 0V to +5V region for it to work correctly. I want to use the PIC to pulse modulate the audio signal.

Does anyone know of any good zero-span circuits or if I even need one? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
cdanderson04 said:
Hey all:

I have an audio signal from an old portable CD player that on max volume outputs about 1-1.2V as shown when attached an oscilloscope. I want to feed this signal into a PIC microcontroller, but I hear you need to amplify and shift the signal into the 0V to +5V region for it to work correctly. I want to use the PIC to pulse modulate the audio signal.

Does anyone know of any good zero-span circuits or if I even need one? Thanks!

You could but it would hardly be worth it.

The output of the CD would be possibly producing outputs up to 2.5 volts peak to peak, so you could possibly make up an amplifier that gives you a gain of 2.

You could use something like this:
tl071_mic.png

Which I just stole from another thread on this page.
Remove the microphone from the left and feed your signal in there.
Make R1 22K.

At the micro input, put two resistors across the input (just like the two 47Ks in this diagram, but to +5 V and ground).
This would set the input to 2.5 volts and the input would move this voltage centered on 2.5 volts.

But to be reasonable about it, try it the way it is. It will probably sound just fine.
Just put a capacitor in series with the signal path and two resistors across the A-D input of the micro just like the left of the above diagram as described above..

Related to Zero/Span Circuit for Audio Signal

1. What is a zero/span circuit for audio signal?

A zero/span circuit for audio signal is a type of circuit used in audio equipment to calibrate the audio signal levels. It consists of a potentiometer and a capacitor, which work together to adjust the zero and span of the audio signal.

2. How does a zero/span circuit work?

The potentiometer in the circuit controls the zero level, which is the minimum voltage that the audio signal can reach. The capacitor controls the span, which is the range of voltage that the audio signal can vary within. By adjusting these components, the circuit can ensure that the audio signal is properly calibrated.

3. Why is a zero/span circuit important in audio equipment?

A zero/span circuit is important because it allows for accurate and consistent audio signal levels. This is crucial in audio equipment such as mixers and amplifiers, as it ensures that the sound produced is of high quality and free from distortions.

4. How do I know if my audio equipment has a zero/span circuit?

If your audio equipment has a calibration feature, it most likely has a zero/span circuit. You can also check the user manual or contact the manufacturer to confirm if your equipment has this circuit.

5. Can I adjust the zero/span circuit myself?

It is not recommended for non-experts to adjust the zero/span circuit themselves. This circuit is delicate and requires precise adjustments, and any mistakes could result in damage to the equipment or inaccurate audio levels. It is best to have a trained technician make any necessary adjustments.