How Do You Calculate Zero Point Energy for a Half-Harmonic Oscillator?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the zero point energy of a particle of mass m in one dimension, under a potential of V(x) = (1/2)kx^2 for x>0 and infinity for x<0. The conversation mentions using the operator H=-(hbar)/(2m)[d^2/dx^2]+(1/2)kx^2 and solving the Schrodinger equation for a particle in a box to find the solution for this potential. The boundary condition for this potential is imposed where the transition from V non-infinite to V infinite occurs, requiring the wavefunction to be zero at this transition.
physgirl

Homework Statement

find the zero point energy of particle of mass m in one dimension under:
V(x)=(1/2)kx^2 for x>0; infinity for x<0

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost :( I took a similar approach to deriving eigenvalues for a particle in a box but that didn't make sense to me... Any starters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you recognize the potential for x>0?

its the potential for a harmonic oscillator?

hmm its a harmonic oscillator in a box with infinite length ?!

physgirl said:
its the potential for a harmonic oscillator?

Yes, so, for x>0, the wavefunction has to satisfy the same time-independent Schrodinger that the wavefunction for a harmonic oscillator satisfies. But now there is an extra boundary condition.

so it's a harmonic oscillator that has no access to x values less than 0?

So you would just use the operator H=-(hbar)/(2m)[d^2/dx^2]+(1/2)kx^2
Plug that into the Schrodinger equation... but when do you impose the new boundary condition...?

physgirl said:
so it's a harmonic oscillator that has no access to x values less than 0?

Exactly.

So you would just use the operator H=-(hbar)/(2m)[d^2/dx^2]+(1/2)kx^2
Plug that into the Schrodinger equation...

Yes, and you know the solution to [itex]H \psi = E \psi[/itex] for this potential.

but when do you impose the new boundary condition...?

Think about solving the Schrodinger equation for a particle in a box. For what region (in terms of the potential) is this equation solved? Why are boundary conditions imposed for a particle in a box?

I thought for a box particle, really the only significant boundary condition was that the wavefunction has to be continuous. Therefore the cosine term has to disappear to leave with just the sine term that WILL go to 0 when x=0... I'm looking at the solution for the oscillator SE and I just see: (a_n)(H_n)(e^-(1/2)(alpha*x)^2)
I'm not really sure how to impose a boundary condition that says x cannot be below 0...?

physgirl said:
I thought for a box particle, really the only significant boundary condition was that the wavefunction has to be continuous. Therefore the cosine term has to disappear to leave with just the sine term that WILL go to 0 when x=0... I'm looking at the solution for the oscillator SE and I just see: (a_n)(H_n)(e^-(1/2)(alpha*x)^2)
I'm not really sure how to impose a boundary condition that says x cannot be below 0...?

For the particle in a box, the wavefuntion is set to zero everywhere the potential in infinite, since the particle has zero probability of being in this region. The Schrodinger is sovled where the potential is not inifinite (V = 0 in the case of the Harmonic oscillator), giving a linear combination of sin and cos. These solutions are joined by the boundary condition requirement that the the wavefunction is continuous at the transition from V non-infinite to V infinite, which means that wavefunction has to be zero where the transition in the potential occurs.

Follow the same strategy for your potential.

Related to How Do You Calculate Zero Point Energy for a Half-Harmonic Oscillator?

1. What is zero point energy of a particle?

Zero point energy of a particle is the lowest possible energy that a particle can have, even at absolute zero temperature. It arises from the inherent motion of particles at the quantum level, and is considered to be the minimum energy required to sustain a particle's existence.

2. How is zero point energy different from other types of energy?

Zero point energy is different from other types of energy because it is a fundamental property of particles, rather than being dependent on external factors such as temperature or position. It is also constant and cannot be fully removed, even at absolute zero temperature.

3. What is the significance of zero point energy?

The significance of zero point energy lies in its role in quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle. It is also believed to play a role in the creation of virtual particles and the expansion of the universe. Some scientists also speculate about the potential use of zero point energy as a renewable energy source.

4. Can zero point energy be harnessed?

Currently, there is no known way to harness zero point energy for practical use. However, research is ongoing in the field of quantum mechanics and some scientists believe that it may be possible to extract energy from the vacuum in the future.

5. Is zero point energy the same as vacuum energy?

While zero point energy and vacuum energy are related concepts, they are not the same. Zero point energy refers specifically to the minimum energy of a particle, while vacuum energy refers to the energy present in empty space. Some scientists propose that zero point energy is a manifestation of vacuum energy.