Zero Point Energy of Coupled Dipoles

In summary, the zero point energy of a system with two coupled dipoles is the sum of the zero point energy of the two uncoupled oscillators.
secret2
Imagine that a system with two coupled dipole is diagonalized, so that the symmetric and anti-symmetric states are chosen to be the bases. Why does the Zero point energy equal
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\hbar (\omega_s + \omega_a) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] H = H_0 - \frac {e^2 x_1 x_2}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 R^3} [/tex]

where Ho is the sum of of two unperturbed SHO, x1 and x2 are respectively the distance between positive and negative ends of the dipoles, and R is the inter-dipole distance

Compute the matrix element of the perturbation wrt fundamental states and show it is zero.Therefore,the vacuum (zero point energy) doesn't have 1-st order corrections.So the total energy is the one stated by you in the first post.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Compute the matrix element of the perturbation wrt fundamental states and show it is zero.Therefore,the vacuum (zero point energy) doesn't have 1-st order corrections.So the total energy is the one stated by you in the first post.

Daniel.

I can see why the vacuum (zero point energy) doesn't have 1-st order corrections, but shouldn't half h-bar (omega)_s alone has lower energy than the one in the first post?

Yes,of course,but why did u reject the contribution due to antisymmetric wave functions...?

Daniel.

But isn't zero point energy defined as the lowest possible energy?
I am a little confused. Or maybe there is some good reference regarding this specific example?

I wouldn't know,it's the first time i saw it.Where did u get it...?

Daniel.

It's from one of the problem sheet for the condensed matter course. I just wonder if the zero point energy is defined to be as mentioned.

secret2 said:
Imagine that a system with two coupled dipole is diagonalized, so that the symmetric and anti-symmetric states are chosen to be the bases. Why does the Zero point energy equal

Zero point energy of a single dipole oscillator is defined (derived by Planck) to be
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\hbar (\omega) [/tex]

Creator :biggrin:

Creator said:
Zero point energy of a single dipole oscillator is defined (derived by Planck) to be
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\hbar (\omega) [/tex]

Of course, of course.
And my question is why NOT exclude the anti-symmetric mode, which has higher energy than the symmetric mode alone?

secret2 said:
Of course, of course.
And my question is why NOT exclude the anti-symmetric mode, which has higher energy than the symmetric mode alone?

I think you had it right the first time...
For a coupled harmonic oscillator the zero point energy is defined to be the sum of the lowest energy of each oscillator.

However, note:

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\hbar (\omega_s) \neq \frac{1}{2}\hbar(\omega_o) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\hbar (\omega_a) \neq \frac{1}{2}\hbar(\omega_o) [/tex]

...where [tex]\omega_o[/tex] is the frequency of the uncoupled oscillator. IOW, the lowest energy of each coupled oscillator is different from the lowest energy of each when uncoupled.

More specifically, [tex]\frac{1}{2}\hbar(\omega_s + \omega_a) \ll \frac{1}{2}\hbar(\omega_o) + \frac{1}{2}\hbar(\omega_o) [/tex]

IOW, for the coupled oscillators the total zero point energy is lower than the sum of two uncoupled oscillators. :cool:

Last edited:
Please note I've made an addition to the previous post to Secret2 for clarity.

Thank you!

Now I think I understand. When diagonalizing the system, we turned the two INTERACTING SHO's into two non-physical NON-INTERACTING symmetric and anti-symmetric modes, and they just act like any other SHO's. The zero point energy of the system is the sum of the zero point energy of the two non-physical SHO's, and quantum mechanics dictates that none of the individual (ie [itex] \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega_s [/itex] or [itex] \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega_a [/itex]) could be zero, hence the answer :)

Last edited:
secret2 said:
A question: What was the proposed cause of the dipole in this question? Thanks.

Related to Zero Point Energy of Coupled Dipoles

1. What is Zero Point Energy of Coupled Dipoles?

The Zero Point Energy (ZPE) of Coupled Dipoles refers to the lowest possible energy state of a system of coupled dipoles, which are two or more electric or magnetic dipoles that interact with each other.

2. How is ZPE of Coupled Dipoles calculated?

ZPE of Coupled Dipoles is calculated using quantum mechanical principles, specifically the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation. It takes into account the position and momentum of the dipoles, as well as their interactions with each other and the surrounding environment.

3. What is the significance of ZPE of Coupled Dipoles?

ZPE of Coupled Dipoles has significant implications in fields such as quantum mechanics, molecular physics, and condensed matter physics. It can affect the stability and behavior of materials, as well as influence the properties of chemical bonds and molecular interactions.

4. Can ZPE of Coupled Dipoles be measured?

Due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum systems, ZPE of Coupled Dipoles cannot be directly measured. However, its effects can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy and thermodynamics.

5. How does ZPE of Coupled Dipoles relate to the concept of vacuum energy?

ZPE of Coupled Dipoles is often considered to be a type of vacuum energy, as it represents the minimum energy state of a system in the absence of external forces. However, it is a specific type of vacuum energy that arises from the interactions between coupled dipoles, rather than the energy inherent in empty space.