Zero-point energy of a linear harmonic oscillator

Remember that the uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must be greater than or equal to h-bar/2.In summary, the conversation discusses using the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to find the minimum energy of a harmonic oscillator with a given potential and mass. The suggestion is made to write the total energy in terms of uncertainties in position and momentum, and then minimize it with respect to those uncertainties while keeping in mind the uncertainty principle.
mathlete
Hi. I'm given a problem with a harmonic oscillator where the potential is V= (kx^2)/2 with a mass m (KE = 1/2 mv^2). I have to use the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle to show what the minimum energy is, but I'm not sure where to start... I think I have to combine KE + V and minimize that, but with respect to what? And how do I fit in the uncertainty principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make the (handwaving, but usual) assumption that the momentum must be greater than the uncertainty in momentum, and that the position must be greater than the uncertainty in position. Start by writing the total energy (KE + PE) in terms of those uncertainties. Minimize that to find the lowest allowable energy.

Doc Al said:
Make the (handwaving, but usual) assumption that the momentum must be greater than the uncertainty in momentum, and that the position must be greater than the uncertainty in position. Start by writing the total energy (KE + PE) in terms of those uncertainties. Minimize that to find the lowest allowable energy.

Do you mean something like replace x with Δx and p with Δp and then replace one of those with h-bar/Δx (or h-bar/Δp) and then minimize E with respect to Δx/Δp?

That's exactly what I mean.

Related to Zero-point energy of a linear harmonic oscillator

1. What is zero-point energy of a linear harmonic oscillator?

The zero-point energy of a linear harmonic oscillator refers to the minimum energy that a quantum mechanical system can have at its lowest possible energy state, also known as the ground state. It is a consequence of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty.

2. How is zero-point energy related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be measured. This means that even in the lowest possible energy state of a system, there is still some inherent energy or motion due to the uncertainty in these properties. This minimum energy is known as zero-point energy.

3. Can zero-point energy be observed or measured?

Zero-point energy cannot be directly observed or measured, as it is a theoretical concept. However, its effects can be observed indirectly, such as in the Casimir effect, where two uncharged plates are attracted to each other due to the zero-point energy fluctuations of the electromagnetic field between them.

4. How does zero-point energy affect the behavior of particles?

Zero-point energy affects the behavior of particles by giving them a minimum energy even at the lowest possible energy state. This results in tiny fluctuations or vibrations in the position and momentum of particles, which can have significant implications in the behavior of matter at the quantum level.

5. Is zero-point energy important in everyday life?

While zero-point energy is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, its effects are usually only significant at the microscopic level. In everyday life, the effects of zero-point energy are negligible and do not have a noticeable impact on our daily experiences. However, its study is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.