Zero-modified geometric dice problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the probability of getting a certain number of hits in a game where units attack by rolling six-sided dice with 2 or 4 sides counting as a hit. The difficulty lies in the fact that each die can be re-rolled if it misses on the first roll. The question is whether a similar property holds for zero-modified geometric random variables and how to calculate the probability in this scenario. One idea suggested is to find the expected number of hits for 1 die and multiply it by the number of dice. Clarification is also sought on whether a die can be re-rolled only if it hits with that particular die or with any of the other dice in the previous roll.
welcomehome
Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a probability for a game I play with a friend of mine. In the game, units "attack" by rolling six-sided dice; either 2 or 4 sides of the die count as a "hit" when rolled, depending on certain circumstances. The specific situation I am trying to figure out the probability for is:

you get n dice to roll.
assume the probability to hit is "p"
for each die, you can re-roll if you miss on your first roll.
for each die, you keep re-rolling as long as you hit.

what is the probability of k hits?

the thing that is causing me problems is the fact that you can reroll the die if you miss at first. So, instead of each die being a geometric random variable, each die is a zero-modified geometric random variable with Pr(no hits) = (1-p)^2.

If the die were simple geometric R.V.s, their sum would be a negative binomial R.V. which I could easily evaluate. Does a similar property hold for zero-modified geometrics R.V.'s? If so, what is the parametrization? If not, how could I figure out this probability?

One idea I had: let Z = the total # of hits,

Pr(Z=k) = Ʃ Pr(X of n dice roll one or more hits) * Pr(Z = k | X dice have one or more hits, n - X dice miss totally).

I got bogged down in the details of this and wasn't able to come up with something that worked; any ideas?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcomehome said:
for each die, you keep re-rolling as long as you hit.

Do you get to re-roll with a particular die only if you hit with that particular die? Or do you get to re-roll with a particular die if you hit with some of the other dice in the previous roll?

If you only get to re-roll with a particular die when you hit with that particular die, then you don't need to worry about the fact that there are n dice. You can find the expected number of hits for 1 die and mullitiply that by n.

Related to Zero-modified geometric dice problem

1. What is the "Zero-modified geometric dice problem"?

The Zero-modified geometric dice problem is a mathematical problem that involves rolling a dice with a specific number of sides and counting the number of times it lands on zero or a specified number. The goal is to determine the probability of obtaining a certain number of zeros or a specific number on the dice after a certain number of rolls.

2. How is this problem relevant in the field of science?

This problem is relevant in the field of science because it can be used to model and analyze various real-world scenarios, such as the distribution of mutations in a DNA sequence or the spread of a disease in a population. It also helps researchers understand the concept of randomness and probability, which are important in many scientific studies.

3. What is the formula for calculating the probability in this problem?

The formula for calculating the probability in the Zero-modified geometric dice problem is P(X = x) = (1-p)^x * p, where P(X = x) is the probability of getting x number of zeros or a specific number, p is the probability of getting a zero or specific number on one roll, and x is the number of rolls.

4. Can this problem be extended to more than one dice?

Yes, this problem can be extended to more than one dice. In this case, the probability formula would change to P(X = x) = (1-p)^x * p^n, where n is the number of dice being rolled. The problem becomes more complex when multiple dice are involved, but the same principles and formula can be applied.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the Zero-modified geometric dice problem. It can be used in genetics to study mutations and in epidemiology to understand the spread of diseases. It can also be applied in finance, sports analytics, and many other fields that involve probability and randomness.