Zero B Field Inside within Hollow Wire

In summary, using Ampere's law, it can be determined that the magnetic field inside the hollow wire is not zero at any radius between a = 0.12 m and b = 0.26 m. The equation for magnetic field strength, |B| = (μ0Ienc)/2πr, can be used to find the magnetic field at a specific radius. However, the current enclosed, Ienc, is not equal to I2 at all points within the hollow wire. Therefore, the correct answer cannot be determined using this method.
Amrator

Homework Statement

A long, thin wire carrying constant current I1 = 2 A into the page is surrounded by a concentric cylindrical hollow wire of inner radius a = 0.12 m, and outer radius b= 0.26 m, carrying total current I2 = 4 A directed out of the page, as shown. Assume the current in the cylindrical hollow wire is distributed uniformly over its cross-sectional area.

fig17.gif

At what radius is B = 0 in the region a < r < b inside the hollow wire?

(A) .19 m
(B) .20 m
(C) .21 m
(D) .25 m
(E) The magnetic field is not zero anywhere inside the hollow wire.

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ratios:
##I_r → 2π(r-a)##
##I_b → 2π(b-a)##
##I_{enc} = I_2 \frac{I_r}{I_b} - I_1 = (4A) \frac{r-a}{b-a} - I_1##
##b-a = .14##
##\frac{r-.12}{.14} = 1/2##
##r = .19 m##

The answer however is not A. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$|\mathbf{B}| = \frac{\mu_0 I_{enc}}{2\pi r} $$

I am not sure you are correctly expressing ##I_{enc}## as a function of ##r##. It is going to be related to the area of an annulus. So I would expect to see ##r^2## somewhere in your work.

Amrator said:
The answer however is not A. What am I doing wrong?
Apply Ampere's law anywhere in the region a < r < b. What do you get?

Related to Zero B Field Inside within Hollow Wire

1. What is a zero B field inside a hollow wire?

A zero B field inside a hollow wire refers to the absence of any magnetic field within the interior of the wire, typically due to the wire being placed in a region with no external magnetic field.

2. Why is a zero B field inside a hollow wire important?

Having a zero B field inside a hollow wire is important for experiments that require a controlled magnetic field environment, such as in electromagnets or particle accelerators. It also allows for more accurate measurements and calculations.

3. How is a zero B field achieved inside a hollow wire?

A zero B field inside a hollow wire can be achieved by using a technique called shielding. This involves surrounding the wire with a material that is highly conductive and has a high magnetic permeability, such as mu-metal. The material will redirect any external magnetic fields away from the wire, creating a zero B field inside.

4. Can a zero B field be achieved in all types of hollow wires?

No, a zero B field cannot be achieved in all types of hollow wires. The wire must be made of a highly conductive material and have a smooth, uniform surface in order for shielding to be effective. Wires made of materials with low conductivity, such as plastic or wood, will not be able to achieve a zero B field.

5. What are some practical applications of a zero B field inside a hollow wire?

A zero B field inside a hollow wire has many practical applications in scientific research, including in medical imaging, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and particle physics experiments. It is also used in everyday devices such as magnetic compasses and magnetic storage media like hard drives and credit cards.