Zener Diode Regulator: Why Output Voltage Drops?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a Zener diode as a voltage regulator and the relationship between load current and output voltage. The threshold voltage and how it relates to the regulator's function was also explained.
wavingerwin
My teacher was talking about power supply voltage regulators.

I cannot get why does a zener diode regulator's output voltage drops after the load current through it exceeds some critical current?

thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the Voltage-Current characteristic of a Zener diode.

240px-V-a_characteristic_Zener_diode.svg.png

Do you see how at very, very low currents, the voltage actually drops bellow threshold?

So let us see what happens in the simplest voltage regulator. Let's say some applied voltage Va is applied across the Zener diode with threshold voltage VZ and a resistor R1 connected in series. In parallel with Zener diode, you connect your load resistance, RL at regulated voltage VZ.

So let's look at the currents. The load current is obviously given by this.

[tex]I_L = \frac{V_Z}{R_L}[/tex]

And the current across R1 is this.

[tex]I_1 = \frac{V_a - V_Z}{R_1}[/tex]

And of course, the current flowing through R1 then splits to go through RL and the diode. So we can easily find the diode current, IZ.

[tex]I_Z = I_1 - I_L = \frac{V_a - V_Z}{R_1} - \frac{V_Z}{R_L}[/tex]

If VZ remained constant despite absolutely any changes, this value would become zero whenever

[tex]R_L = \frac{V_Z}{V_a - V_Z}R_1[/tex]

Clearly, load resistance can be that low, or even lower. If it is lower, the value of IZ would become negative, which would mean the current is flowing against the potential, and that's nonsense.

In reality, of course, as seen in the diagram, VZ begins to drop before you quite get to that point. In the limit where RL goes to zero, VZ also goes to zero.

If the regulator you are thinking of is more complex, you might have to do a bit more work to get this result, but the idea is the same. Find the current that flows through the Zener diode as a function of RL, and you'll see when the regulator is not going to be very useful anymore.

Thanks very much for the clear explanation, K^2!

I can see the where the formulas come from since you explanation fits my regulator well.

However, there is one thing I need to clarify: is the threshold voltage 17V in the diagram?
And you're saying that at low current e.g. 1mA in the diagram, voltage drops to 0.65V?

The threshold voltage of interest here is the reverse breakdown voltage at around -17V. The idea being that once you setup a bias current that forces the zener diode into reverse breakdown voltage, then the voltage output is going to be fairly constant (-17 V) despite small variations in the bias current. So a simple AC-DC power supply can be made using a transformer to stepdown the AC voltage, rectifying the AC voltage to keep it always positive, passing it through a low pass filter to smooth out the rectified voltage a bit, and then using the voltage to create a bias current through a zener diode. The voltage output is taken off of the zener diode. There will still be a small amount of ripple voltage across the diode due to the variations in the bias current but it can be controlled via design to be below a certain threshold.

I can explain why the output voltage of a zener diode regulator drops after the critical current is exceeded. A zener diode regulator is a type of voltage regulator that uses a zener diode to maintain a constant output voltage. The zener diode has a specific breakdown voltage, also known as the zener voltage, at which it starts conducting current in the reverse direction. This means that when the input voltage exceeds the zener voltage, the excess voltage is dropped across the zener diode, keeping the output voltage constant.

However, when the load current through the zener diode exceeds a critical value, the zener diode cannot handle the excess current and starts to heat up. This increase in temperature can cause the zener diode to change its characteristics, such as its breakdown voltage, leading to a decrease in the output voltage. This is known as the zener diode's thermal runaway effect, where the increase in temperature causes a decrease in the zener voltage, resulting in a drop in the output voltage.

Additionally, the zener diode also has a maximum power rating, which is the maximum amount of power it can handle before it gets damaged. When the load current exceeds this power rating, the zener diode may get damaged, leading to a decrease in its breakdown voltage and output voltage.

To prevent this drop in output voltage, it is important to ensure that the load current does not exceed the critical value and the zener diode's maximum power rating. This can be achieved by using a larger zener diode with a higher power rating or by using multiple zener diodes in parallel to share the load current. It is also important to consider the ambient temperature and provide proper heat dissipation for the zener diode to prevent thermal runaway.

In conclusion, the output voltage of a zener diode regulator drops after the critical current is exceeded due to the thermal runaway effect and the zener diode's maximum power rating. By understanding these factors and taking appropriate measures, we can ensure a stable and constant output voltage from the zener diode regulator.

Related to Zener Diode Regulator: Why Output Voltage Drops?

1. How does a Zener Diode Regulator work?

A Zener Diode Regulator works by utilizing the reverse breakdown voltage of a Zener diode to regulate the output voltage. When the voltage across the diode exceeds the breakdown voltage, the diode conducts and maintains a constant voltage across its terminals.

2. Why is the output voltage dropping when using a Zener Diode Regulator?

The output voltage of a Zener Diode Regulator can drop due to several reasons, including the load current exceeding the diode's maximum current rating, inadequate heat dissipation, or a faulty diode. It is essential to check these factors and ensure that the diode is operating within its specifications.

3. How can I calculate the output voltage of a Zener Diode Regulator?

The output voltage of a Zener Diode Regulator can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where Vout = Vin - Vz, with Vin being the input voltage and Vz being the Zener diode's breakdown voltage. It is also essential to consider the voltage drop across the series resistor and the load current when calculating the output voltage.

4. Can a Zener Diode Regulator be used to regulate both AC and DC voltages?

Yes, a Zener Diode Regulator can be used to regulate both AC and DC voltages. However, additional circuitry such as a rectifier and smoothing capacitor may be required to convert the AC voltage into DC before using the Zener diode regulator.

5. How can I improve the stability of the output voltage in a Zener Diode Regulator?

The stability of the output voltage in a Zener Diode Regulator can be improved by using a larger value for the series limiting resistor and a larger Zener diode with a higher breakdown voltage. Additionally, using a heat sink for the diode can help dissipate excess heat and improve the regulator's overall stability.