Zener diode as voltage regulator

In summary, the circuit attached uses a zener diode to regulate a voltage. By applying Kirchhoff's current law, it is possible to find the current through the resistance. The voltage drop across the resistance is found by summing the voltage across the zener and the current through the resistor.
logearav

Homework Statement

revered members,
this circuit i have attached is for voltage regulation using zener diode.
applying kirchhoffs current law i get current through resistance R is IR=IZ+ IL
And the voltage drop across the resistance R is V-VOUT
HOW this equation of voltage drop is arrived? i if s it kirchhoff voltage law, it should be summation of V = summation of IR. i don't understand, please help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Zener_voltage_regulator.gif
    Zener_voltage_regulator.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,002
Physics news on Phys.org
Here, let me show you how it's supposed to go. Use KVL, and go clockwise starting at the battery

-Vs+IR+Vz=0

Say you want to take a 15V source and regulate it to 12V. Well, since the zener is going to want to take whatever current, within the Zener Action limit, is necessary to maintain the 12V it would be eating a lot more current than it would need to if it were just the zener and the source. So, you want to put a resistor to drop off a little bit of voltage, make the zener happy.

From here on out it's a design problem. First off, you're going to want to know the max current your load will draw, let's say 100mA. The zener is also going to need to get some current, which depends on the zener itself, but is usually around 5mA, and we add that in for 105mA. Because there might be slop in current drawn by both the load and the zener, account for maybe 5mA more, for 110mA total. Now we know from our KVL that R=(Vs-Vz)/I=3V/.110A=27. So pick a resistor around 27Ohms. Voila.

Oh yeah, and you probably want to get the power ratings right, but you knew that already didn't you?

many thanks mr. mindscrape. you have explained beautifully. but still have one doubt. IN APPLYING KVL, regarding voltage source, when we go from positive to negative, there is fall in potential, so we give -V and when we go from negative to positive, there is a rise in potential so we give + V. so when we go clockwise it should be +Vs+IR-Vz=0. BUT you have said -Vs+IR+Vz=0.
SORRY, IF i am wrong, because that is how my physics sir told when he taught KVL. my apology if i have offended you. just i wanted to clarify

Ah, okay, if you want to make energy decreases negative and energy gains positive that is fine, but I'm still right :p. Here's how the KVL loop goes in your case, let's start from above the battery and before the resistor, going clockwise:

The charge is moving along just fine along the wire then, whoop, drop some energy to go through the resistor
-V=-IR
Now for our particular loop, we hit the zener next, and it wants to maintain the energy drop its rated for
-Vz(=-Iz*R, though neither Iz or R are relevant because the Zener just works)
so far
-IR-Vz
Now the charge goes back through the battery, and woohoo, gains some energy, which our sign convention has established gains as positive, so
+Vs

all together
-IR-Vz+Vs=0

multiply by -1 and you have my result :)

beautiful explanation sir. i understood fully. thanks for sparing your time in educating novices like me.
thanks a lot sir.

Related to Zener diode as voltage regulator

1. What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a type of semiconductor device that is designed to allow current to flow in the reverse direction when a specific voltage, known as the Zener voltage, is reached. This makes it useful in voltage regulation applications.

2. How does a Zener diode function as a voltage regulator?

When a Zener diode is connected in parallel with a load, it acts as a voltage regulator by maintaining a relatively constant voltage across the load. When the input voltage increases, the Zener diode conducts in the reverse direction, preventing the load from receiving excessive voltage. This allows for a stable output voltage.

3. What is the Zener breakdown voltage?

The Zener breakdown voltage, also known as the Zener voltage, is the voltage at which the Zener diode begins to conduct in the reverse direction. This voltage is determined by the doping concentration and physical dimensions of the diode and is typically in the range of 2-8 volts.

4. How is a Zener diode rated?

Zener diodes are typically rated by their maximum Zener voltage, maximum power dissipation, and maximum current. It is important to select a Zener diode with a voltage rating above the desired output voltage and a power rating that can handle the expected current and dissipate the necessary heat.

5. What are the advantages of using a Zener diode as a voltage regulator?

Compared to other voltage regulation methods, using a Zener diode has several advantages. It is a simple and cost-effective solution, has a fast response time, and can handle high currents. Additionally, Zener diodes can operate over a wide range of temperatures and have a high reliability.