Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question

In summary, Zee explores the calculation of D(x) in 1+1 dimensions for t=0 using contour integration techniques. The integral is singular at k=+im and k=-im, but taking the square root and substituting z=-ik allows for a branch cut on the real axis. The integral can then be evaluated using contour integration, resulting in the modified Bessel function K_0(x). In a similar calculation for the analog of the inverse square law in (2+1) dimensions, the integral involves Bessel functions of the first kind, but the method for evaluation is not as straightforward and requires further analysis. The expected answer for the potential is a logarithmic function.
sheaf
I've started working through Zee's book and have got to question I.3.2 - calculation of D(x) in 1+1 dimensions for t=0. The expression to evaluate becomes (omitting constant multipliers for simplicity)

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} dk \frac{e^{ikx}}{\sqrt{k^2+m^2}} [/tex]

This is singular at k=+im and k=-im. I'll take the square root to have a branch cut on the imaginary axis from [itex]k=+im\rightarrow+i\infty[/itex] and [itex]k=-im\rightarrow-i\infty[/itex]. If I substitute z=-ik, I can put the branch cut on the real axis from [itex]z=+m\rightarrow+\infty[/itex] and [itex]z=-m\rightarrow-\infty[/itex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\int^{+i\infty}_{-i\infty} dz \frac{e^{zx}}{\sqrt{m^2-z^2}} [/tex]

For positive x, I close the contour in the half of the z plane with negative real value, so that the contribution of the semicircle at infinity vanishes. The answer I want then becomes the integral inwards and outwards along the branch cut. Since with the square root, the integral along the cut an infinitesimal distance above the cut is the negative of the integral an infinitesimal below it, I'm left with (again ignoring factors of 2 etc)

[tex]\int^{-\infty}_{-m} dz \frac{e^{zx}}{\sqrt{m^2-z^2}} [/tex]

ie

[tex]e^{-mx}\int^{-\infty}_{-m} dz \frac{e^{(z+m)x}}{\sqrt{z-m}\sqrt{z+m}} [/tex]

This is as far as I can get. If I expand the exponential, I can separate the integrand into a part which has a singular contribution at z=-m and the rest which doesn't, but beyond this I'm not sure where to go. Since it's an elementary question at the beginning of an introductory book, I expected it to have some simple closed form solution, so I think I must have made a mistake somewhere... Can anybody help ?

(Question I.3.1 is pretty similar, but I have an integral in spherical polars in k space, which changes things slightly. I thought I'd tackle I.3.2 first since it should be simpler).

Physics news on Phys.org
The real part of your integral is the modified bessel function K_0(x) ... have a look at Mathworld [1], eq. (6), or some classical text about Bessel functions.

The imaginary part vanishes, because it is antisymmetric in k.

To my knowledge that's the best you can do --- the Bessel functions cannot be expressed simply in terms of elementary functions. It's frustrating but they keep popping up in field theory because of this kind of integral... I guess we just have to work with them!

Hope that helps,

Dave

[1] http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ModifiedBesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html

sheaf said:
I've started working through Zee's book and have got to question I.3.2 - calculation of D(x) in 1+1 dimensions for t=0. The expression to evaluate becomes (omitting constant multipliers for simplicity)

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} dk \frac{e^{ikx}}{\sqrt{k^2+m^2}} [/tex]This is singular at k=+im and k=-im. I'll take the square root to have a branch cut on the imaginary axis from [itex]k=+im\rightarrow+i\infty[/itex] and [itex]k=-im\rightarrow-i\infty[/itex]...
The previous answer probably answered your question already, but are you even allowed to use contour integration techniques here? I mean, the integrand should satisfy

[tex]
\lim_{|Re \ z|\rightarrow \infty} zf(z) = 0,
[/tex]

if you want to close the contour in the upper or lower half-plane. But perhaps some convergence factor ei|0+| is implicitly assumed...

schieghoven said:
The real part of your integral is the modified bessel function K_0(x) ... have a look at Mathworld [1], eq. (6), or some classical text about Bessel functions.

The imaginary part vanishes, because it is antisymmetric in k.

To my knowledge that's the best you can do --- the Bessel functions cannot be expressed simply in terms of elementary functions. It's frustrating but they keep popping up in field theory because of this kind of integral... I guess we just have to work with them!

Hope that helps,

Dave

[1] http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ModifiedBesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html

Ah right thanks, I see.
(There was a typo in the first integral, should have been exp(-ikx), not exp(ikx), but it doesn't change the conclusion).
I'd never have recognized that as a Bessel function.

thanks very much !

saaskis said:
The previous answer probably answered your question already, but are you even allowed to use contour integration techniques here? I mean, the integrand should satisfy

[tex]
\lim_{|Re \ z|\rightarrow \infty} zf(z) = 0,
[/tex]

if you want to close the contour in the upper or lower half-plane. But perhaps some convergence factor ei|0+| is implicitly assumed...

I missed a minus sign out of the numerator of the integrand in the original integral, should have been exp(-ikx). So for positive x, my contour in the k plane would be :

Start at k = [itex]-\infty[/itex]
Quarter circle round to k = [itex]-i\infty[/itex]
In along the cut to k = -im
Out along the cut to k = [itex]-i\infty[/itex]
Quarter clrcle round to k = [itex]+\infty[/itex]

Since the contour misses the singularities and the branch cut I was thinking that's valid. Is that right ?

Forget what I said, the exponential factor takes care of the convergence in the appropriate half-plane :)

Agh I've got stuck again! This time, looking at Zee question 1.4.1 - working out the analog of the inverse square law in (2+1) dimensions. Zee works it out in (3+1) dimensions, by evaluating the integral (omitting constant multipliers), note - he's already dealt with the time part here -

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} d^3k \frac{e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}}{\mathbf{k}^2+m^2} [/tex]

which he does in an appendix. I understand that OK, but when I try to apply the same technique in (2+1) dimensions, my working goes like this:

Introduce polars (k, [itex]\theta[/itex]) in k space in 2 dimensions. [itex]\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}[/itex] becomes [itex]krcos\theta[/itex], where r is the length of [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex]. The integral then becomes

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \int^{2\pi}_{0} \frac{e^{ikrcos\theta}}{k^2+m^2} d{\theta} k dk [/tex]

Looking at the behaviour of the exponential over various parts of the range 0->2[itex]\pi[/itex], I ended up with

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \int^{\pi}_{0} \frac{cos(krcos\theta)}{k^2+m^2} d{\theta} kd k [/tex]

Doing the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral, I get

[tex]2\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{Jo(kr)}{k^2+m^2} k dk [/tex]

where Jo is a Bessel function of the first kind. By symmetry I can write:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{Jo(kr)}{k^2+m^2} k dk [/tex]

This is where I'm not sure how to proceed further. If Jo() went to zero as |k|->[itex]\infty[/itex] in the complex k plane, I could do the usual trick of contour integration using the appropriate pole of the denominator. However, I think Jo vanishes for large real arguments, but not imaginary ones, so that's out.

I'm expecting the answer to be a potential which goes as log(r) (at least for m=0), since that gives me a force which goes as 1/r, which I'm guessing is what we would get with 2 spatial dimensions.

Can somebody tell me where my working has gone wrong ?

In case anyone is interested (LOL!) I may have made some progress. I had ended up with

[tex]2\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{Jo(kr)}{k^2+m^2} k dk [/tex]

I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hankel_transform" on wikipedia, which seems to suggest that the integral is the Hankel Transform of

[tex] \frac{1}{k^2+m^2} [/tex]

which, according to the table is

[tex] K_{0}(mr) [/tex]

where [itex] K_{0} [/itex] is a modified Bessel function of the second kind. According to http://www.math.auckland.ac.nz/~hcoh001/as/page_375.htm" ,

[tex] K_{0}(mr) \approx -ln(mr) [/tex]

so it's the right kind of behaviour. Only problem is it doesn't work for m=0 though, where I would expect the ln(r) potential, which I would differentiate to get a (1/r) force law. So I think I'm not quite there yet...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question

1. What is the Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question?

The Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question is a question in quantum field theory that deals with the calculation of the propagator, which is a mathematical object that describes how particles move and interact in a quantum field.

2. Why is the Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question important?

This question is important because it is a fundamental aspect of quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. The propagator is a key component in many calculations and predictions in this field.

3. How is the Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question solved?

The Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question can be solved using mathematical techniques such as Feynman diagrams or path integrals. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and then using mathematical equations to calculate the final result.

4. What are some applications of the Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question?

The Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of particle interactions and quantum field theory. It is used to calculate things like scattering amplitudes, decay rates, and cross sections, which can then be compared to experimental data.

5. Are there any challenges or controversies surrounding the Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question?

There are ongoing debates and controversies surrounding the Zee QFT In a Nutshell Propagator Question, particularly in regards to its interpretation and applicability in certain situations. Some physicists argue that the propagator is merely a mathematical tool and does not have a physical interpretation, while others believe it represents the actual motion of particles in a quantum field.