Estimating Someone's Height From Their Stride Length

In summary, the conversation discusses a school where students work at their own pace and have to finish their courses before the next semester. The person is trying to complete their work during the summer in order to take their exam as soon as possible. They have a final project that involves determining the height of a person using a given picture of two feet. The equation for stride length is provided, but the person is asking for help in finding the ratio between stride length and height. Suggestions are given to take samples and analyze the results, noting that there may not be a constant ratio between height and stride length.
destroyerxtreme
I am at a school where you have to work at your own pace and if you don't finish, you have to continue the course next semester. Unfortuneatly, my next semester is in September so I am trying to get everything done this summer so that I can do the exam as soon as possible. I have a final project that I have to do so here is my question:

I was given a picture of two feet. Underneath the first foot is a line stretching across the whole thing and 4cm to show how long the foot is. From the end of the line to the end of the second foot is another line with 15cm which measures the gap between the two feet and the second foot. Doing the equation, I have figured out that the stride length is 11cm. I now need to know how to figure out the height of the person.

Does anyone have any clue how to do it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They should have given you the ratio between stride length and the person's height. Multiply.

First work out if there is any correlation by taking samples. Then analyse the results. Note that there may not be a constant ratio between height and stride length.

1. How do you estimate someone's height from their stride length?

To estimate someone's height from their stride length, you can use the following formula: height (in inches) = stride length (in inches) x 0.413. This formula is based on the average proportion of height to stride length in adults.

2. Is this method accurate for people of all heights?

This method is most accurate for people who are of average height (around 5'4" to 5'10"). For taller or shorter individuals, the accuracy may vary due to differences in leg length and body proportions.

3. Can this method be used for children?

This method is not recommended for children, as their body proportions and growth patterns differ greatly from adults. It may be more accurate to use a pediatric height chart or consult with a physician for more accurate measurements in children.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of this estimation?

Yes, factors such as the terrain, footwear, and gait (walking style) can also affect the accuracy of this estimation. It is best to take multiple measurements and average them out for a more accurate estimation.

5. Why is it important to estimate someone's height from their stride length?

This estimation can be useful in various fields such as anthropology, forensic science, and sports medicine. It can also be helpful in everyday situations, such as estimating the height of a potential suspect based on their footprints at a crime scene or determining the appropriate size of clothing or equipment for someone based on their stride length.