Z_3 symmetry in NMSSM superpotential

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary: Ginzburg Landau Theory for supraconduction. That means (for me): if the GL Theory is correct, then solutions of that theory describe (at least for the 1D approximation) the field in the intermediate domain wall region between two vacua (see explanation given in the cited arxiv document)... Is that similitude a coincidence or something which was known by the author and still included into the construction of the proposed NMSSM?[/quote]Xepma is correct. The Z3 symmetry is imposed (or rather there by construction) in order to cancel the H1H2, N^2 and N terms in the superpotential which would have massive parameters associated
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello

I am trying to learn more about NMSSM, and in the Lecture Notes by Jack Gunion, held at SUSY08 conference in Seoul 2008 ( http://susy08.kias.re.kr/slide/pl/Gunion.pdf ) there is in slide #20 arguments for a Z_3 symmetry of the NMSSM superpotential.

My questions are what/which is this Z_3 symmetry? As far as my knowledge, there are several groups called Z.

Also I was wondering then HOW one can see that this superpotential has Z_3 symmetry.

Thank you

/Glenn

Physics news on Phys.org
The cyclic group of order 3? I don't know any other groups called Z.

From Wiki:

In mathematics, especially in the area of algebra known as group theory, the term Z-group refers to a number of distinct types of groups:

* in the study of finite groups, a Z-group is a finite groups whose Sylow subgroups are all cyclic.
* in the study of infinite groups, a Z-group is a group which possesses a very general form of central series.
* occasionally, (Z)-group is used to mean a Zassenhaus group, a special type of permutation group.

In the context of physics the group [tex]Z_3[/tex] always refers to some cyclic symmetry of order three. The group contains three elements, {1,r,r^2}, with the property r^3 =1. It's similar to the addition of numbers mod 3 (or mod n in the case of Z_n).

When some system contains a Z_n symmetry, it means that it forms some irrep of the group Z_n. The action of the group elements on this irrep is something that needs to be specified. In this case, you can change each superfield by a phase factor according to:
[tex]\phi \rightarrow \phi' = \exp{\left(\frac{2\pi i}{3}\right)}\phi[/tex]
which is a symmetry of the action since it leaves the superpotential invariant. In the context of the representation of Z_3 you would say that this symmetry transformation is the action of the element r on the corresponding irrep.

P.S. I came across a review paper that came out this morning. You may find it interesting:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.0777

Last edited:
xempa, you have already made it to the "thank you list" of my thesis :-)

haha, glad to be of help

Just out of curiousity
xepma said:
It's similar to the addition of numbers mod 3 (or mod n in the case of Z_n).
and indeed we call it Zn because it's the quotient Z/3Z where Z is the integers. I had no idea of
* in the study of finite groups, a Z-group is a finite groups whose Sylow subgroups are all cyclic.
* in the study of infinite groups, a Z-group is a group which possesses a very general form of central series.
* occasionally, (Z)-group is used to mean a Zassenhaus group, a special type of permutation group.

Xepma is correct. The Z3 symmetry is imposed (or rather there by construction) in order to cancel the H1H2, N^2 and N terms in the superpotential which would have massive parameters associated with them (and hence phenomenologically unnacceptable).

The problem with that is it causes topological defects which is a problem if gravity is turned on, so you really want to explicitly break this discrete symmetry, rather than allow it to be spontaneously broken by the complex field (see the review article Xepma linked too).

Likes yuanfang
Haelfix said:
Xepma is correct. The Z3 symmetry is imposed (or rather there by construction) in order to cancel the H1H2, N^2 and N terms in the superpotential which would have massive parameters associated with them (and hence phenomenologically unnacceptable).

The problem with that is it causes topological defects which is a problem if gravity is turned on, so you really want to explicitly break this discrete symmetry, rather than allow it to be spontaneously broken by the complex field (see the review article Xepma linked too).

I began the very interesting lecture of 0906.0777v1 [hep-ph] 4 Jun 2009 and I have red attentively the § 2 concerning the discrete Z3 symmetry. I appreciate the explanation about the necessity for that symmetry to brake. But you did certainly, like me, wonder the relation (2.9) and remark the very good similitude with the formalism of the one dimensional solutions of the Ginzburg Landau Theory for supraconduction. That means (for me): if the GL Theory is correct, then solutions of that theory describe (at least for the 1D approximation) the field in the intermediate domain wall region between two vacua (see explanation given in the cited arxiv document)...

Is that similitude a coincidence or something which was known by the author and still included into the construction of the proposed NMSSM?

Nevermind, I ask if we really must have to reject these walls? Would it not be better to accept to interpret them as manifestation of particles ?
Blackforest

Blackforest said:
I... lecture of 0906.0777v1 [hep-ph] 4 Jun 2009 ... But you did certainly, like me, wonder the relation (2.9) and remark the very good similitude with the formalism of the one dimensional solutions of the Ginzburg Landau Theory for supraconduction...

Is that similitude a coincidence or something which was known by the author and still included into the construction of the proposed NMSSM?

So, I could find in between the answer to my question. Yes the remark has still be done; e.g. in Chris Quigg: Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking as a Basis of Particle Mass; arXiv: 0704.2232v2 [hep-ph], 28 May 2009.

Following my own logic can I ask a new and certainly naive question? Does have SU(4) a representation in a subset of M4(R) ?

Related to Z_3 symmetry in NMSSM superpotential

1. What is Z3 symmetry in NMSSM superpotential?

Z3 symmetry is a discrete symmetry that is often used in the construction of the Next-to-Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (NMSSM) superpotential. It is a symmetry under which the superfields of the NMSSM transform non-trivially, and it is often used to ensure the stability of the Higgs potential.

2. How does Z3 symmetry affect the Higgs potential in the NMSSM?

Z3 symmetry is used in the NMSSM to ensure that the Higgs potential is stable. This means that the Higgs field does not acquire a vacuum expectation value (VEV) and the masses of the Higgs bosons remain at the electroweak scale. Without Z3 symmetry, the Higgs potential would be destabilized and the hierarchy problem would arise.

3. How is Z3 symmetry broken in the NMSSM superpotential?

Z3 symmetry is typically broken spontaneously in the NMSSM superpotential. This means that the symmetry is not explicitly broken in the Lagrangian, but is broken through the choice of vacuum state. This leads to a phase transition where the Z3 symmetry is broken, and the Higgs field acquires a non-zero VEV.

4. What are the implications of Z3 symmetry in the NMSSM for dark matter?

Z3 symmetry can have implications for dark matter in the NMSSM. The stability of the Higgs potential due to Z3 symmetry can lead to the lightest neutralino, which is a potential dark matter candidate, being lighter than in other supersymmetric models. This can have implications for dark matter detection experiments.

5. Are there any experimental tests for Z3 symmetry in the NMSSM?

There are currently no direct experimental tests for Z3 symmetry in the NMSSM. However, indirect tests can be performed through the study of Higgs boson properties, such as the mass and decay rates, at high energy colliders like the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). If Z3 symmetry is present in nature, it would have implications for the observed Higgs boson properties.